TM Warthog replacement gimbal

TheSlickOne

My TM Warthog stick developed a play around center so would like to order a replacement gimbal set or whatever parts involved. Has anybody done this and if so what is the part called exactly? Or if anyone has a parts list or diagram I could use to look it up that would help greatly. Thanks for any tips!

That will be a problem that will keep popping up over and over. The TM gimbal is pure garbage. Not sure what the financial situation is but have you ever thought I'd getting the virpil WarBRD base? If money isn't an issue there is also the FSSB R3 base too. It's a force sensing unit. People either love them or hate them. Personally I absolutely love mine. Far far superior to the TM base and far more precise. And the fact you can switch sensitivities on the fly is fantastic. Makes hovering in a helo arm like child's play not to mention rolling an F18 as fast as thinking about it is sweet.

That will be a problem that will keep popping up over and over. The TM gimbal is pure garbage. Not sure what the financial situation is but have you ever thought I'd getting the virpil WarBRD base? If money isn't an issue there is also the FSSB R3 base too. It's a force sensing unit. People either love them or hate them. Personally I absolutely love mine. Far far superior to the TM base and far more precise. And the fact you can switch sensitivities on the fly is fantastic. Makes hovering in a helo arm like child's play not to mention rolling an F18 as fast as thinking about it is sweet.

Frankly, I didn't even check Virpil's site for over a year now as I got the T-50 base and was not happy with it. Deflection angle is too small, one of the bearings is binding resulting in not smooth movement and deflection resistance ramp-up is too fast (probably due to the small deflection angle). I've tried all cams and springs. It's sitting in the bin. :(

I'll look into the new WarBRD base. Maybe it'll be better in those regards. Would probably be the same money anyways. However it seems to be out of stock?

Frankly, I didn't even check Virpil's site for over a year now as I got the T-50 base and was not happy with it. Deflection angle is too small, one of the bearings is binding resulting in not smooth movement and deflection resistance ramp-up is too fast (probably due to the small deflection angle). I've tried all cams and springs. It's sitting in the bin. :(

I'll look into the new WarBRD base. Maybe it'll be better in those regards. Would probably be the same money anyways. However it seems to be out of stock?

Deflection is smaller, because intended use is with an extension. One of key differences is that warBRD base has higher max deflection more like the other desktop sticks.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Tm sell the "Articulation Sphere" (ask for this) of gimbal but not the gimbal external "bell". They sell too the whole base.

T-50 base gimbal move ~15+15º, WarBRD move ~20+20º.

OK, great to know about the "articulation sphere". I think my issue of play at center is the result of that part anyways. Now, we'll see how much they want for it...

Still, in the meantime I'll be looking at the WarBRD as well coz I also have a stiction issue with the Warthog and frankly not sure if the new part would help in that regard as I think stiction is the result of a combination of thigs like the alignment of the four guide pins, the wholes they ride in, the plastic washer, etc.

Funny coincidence. After I posted my above post I just got my WarBRD and base with t50 stick today. Besides the configuration software, this thing is a complete gem. I never thought it would be so smooth flying the Huey. I use joystick Gremlin to bind everything and works excellent. I purchased the desk mount with the base and another great piece of hardware. Now I'm just wondering why my t50 throttle wasn't in the shipment among many other things. But that's another topic ������

Are you using it with an extension or without? Does it have less ramp-up with deflection than the T-50? Smoother near center? I'm pretty much ready to jump on it come tomorrow...

Are you using it with an extension or without? Does it have less ramp-up with deflection than the T-50? Smoother near center? I'm pretty much ready to jump on it come tomorrow...

Sorry for my intrusion:lol:

I highly recommend you to use a extension because the T-50 base travel is not the same of the Warthog base. I'm using a 50mm extension and the soft center cam and springs that came from Virpil factory and the results are awesome!

dddddd_zpstnbtahu0.jpg

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

I was talking about the WarBRD base.

I don't think an extension is recommended for the WarBRD base. (I just ordered a WarBRD to replace my TM stick base).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I don't think an extension is recommended for the WarBRD base. (I just ordered a WarBRD to replace my TM stick base).
I've read that Virpil allowed 50mm extensions.

By Tapatalk + Samsung S9

Intel 8700K@4.7ghz(all cores) / 32Gb DDR4 /WD Black SN750 Heatsink 500gb (DCS Only) / MSI GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8G / Windows 10 PRO / VPC WarBRD Base + Warthog Stick + Foxx Mount / Thrustmaster TPR pedals / Thustmaster MFD / Thrustmaster Warthog throttle + Monstertech chair mount

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
New articulation sphere can be bought at Shapeway, costs 7.50 each and they say they ship in 3 days from order. Im going to try that, but I am considering the new base.

Did you receive yours yet? There's a hundred questions I have about it... just got my Nyogel 767A but my sphere is cracked 75%.

If yours worked well, then I think I'll pay the rush processing and shipping.

Is there any major process in moving the stick from the TM base to the Virpil? Or does it involve alot of software setup/firmware flashing, etc? Thanks!

6D80k38.jpg

TM Warthog replacement gimbal

I have replaced the whole base, costed around $160 which isn’t cheap.

Virpil’s Warbrd base is a good alternative option because you can fool the system to see it as a TMW base via software setting, which makes it compatible with Target software. Shipping to the US costed me 63 Euro though.

I think that Thrustmaster is overdue for a new refreshed Warthog base that features a better gimbal and extra buttons support.

Edited by Supmua

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/