Fulcrum hopping on landing like a rabbit...

Ragnar65

Guys,

I´m doing my first steps in the MIG-29, having spent most time before with F/A-18 and F-5. Flying and weapons-handling works pretty well, but when it comes to land the bird, i´m getting trouble. in the moment of touchdown the bird hops like crazy. Speed on touchdown is around 200 km/h, AOA is not more than 5°, flaps are in landing position.

So my question is, does anyone else suffer from this behavior? And if so, any hints how to deal with it? To be honest, landing with the Hornet or the F-5, as well as the old trustworthy SU-25T didn´t ever give me the trouble the Fulcrum gives me...

Edited by Ragnar65
correction of typing errors...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Modules: F-5E, FC3, F/A-18C, Mirage 2000 C, AV-8BNA, FW-190 A-8, F-16C Viper

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

I had some trouble too with landing the bird, but I've been practicing and am happy to say its starting to click.

One thing thats pretty important, that probad mentioned is your sink rate.

Basically you want to hit about 300 kph over the treshold with an AoA of about 9-10 degrees. If youre too slow you will hit hard and you will bounce and trash your tires. If youre too fast you will overshoot and have a really hard time slowing down if you manage to bring it down in one piece.

Weight is very important. Make sure you've dropped all your weapons (if you haven't used them) and external fuel tanks before landing. Either that or make sure that you are below 10% fuel.

Once you get the AoA and speed right your sink rate should be fine if youre light enough. And if its not you can adjust it with the throttle. When you touch down don't push the stick forward or you will gain lift and take off again. Allow your nose to come down naturally and as soon as its down release your chute and apply brakes below 200kph. Thats about it. Don't give up, once it starts clicking it will all become natural :)

Edited by OnlyforDCS

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• ED Team

300 at the final, 290 at the start of flaring, then throttle to idle - it's the key to good landing. Touching down gently at 260-270 kph at 11-12 deg AoA.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Well that limit is incorrect mate.

According to the fligh manual the Max landing weight is 15.760 Kg, BUT for landing weights between 14.200 and 15.760 Kg is mandatoyry to make and entry into the DD FORM 781A and this landings never exceed 3% of the total landings.

The unlimited max landing weight is 14.200 Kg and taking in count the Mig-29 with full internal fuel and no stores is 14.454 KG is possible to land almost inmediatly after take off without limitations.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

300 at the final, 290 at the start of flaring, then throttle to idle - it's the key to good landing. Touching down gently at 260-270 kph at 11-12 deg AoA.

That seems to coincide with some of the in-cockpit videos I saw; that 300 kph at the THD stuck with me, and it works all the time. Thanks Yo-Yo for confirming these things for us!

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Guys,

thank you for your immediate input! I´ll give it a try asap... thought i´ve read somewhere of a speed of around 200 km/h...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

SystemSpecs: AMD A8-6600K (4x3,9GHz), 16 GB RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX1070 8GB, WIN10 64bit

@Ragnar65 You could use this video as reference. It's a perfect demonstration of the numbers provided by YoYo.

Depending on your hardware, you might want to tweak your pitch axis sensitivity/curve so your pitch attitude is steady during your approach and landing.

I'm sure once you get this right, you'll be able to extrapolate with different configurations.

Happy landings :thumbup:

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

@Ragnar65 You could use this video as reference. It's a perfect demonstration of the numbers provided by YoYo.

Depending on your hardware, you might want to tweak your pitch axis sensitivity/curve so your pitch attitude is steady during your approach and landing.

I'm sure once you get this right, you'll be able to extrapolate with different configurations.

Happy landings :thumbup:

Thank you, pal. Gives at least an idea how it has to look like... ;-)

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Guys,

I´m doing my first steps in the MIG-29, having spent most time before with F/A-18 and F-5. Flying and weapons-handling works pretty well, but when it comes to land the bird, i´m getting trouble. in the moment of touchdown the bird hops like crazy. Speed on touchdown is around 200 km/h, AOA is not more than 5°, flaps are in landing position.

So my question is, does anyone else suffer from this behavior? And if so, any hints how to deal with it? To be honest, landing with the Hornet or the F-5, as well as the old trustworthy SU-25T didn´t ever give me the trouble the Fulcrum gives me...

Ragnar,

The MiG-29 is a little hairy to land. It seems to be a MiG thing, the MiG-21bis is pretty tricky too.

If you're touching the runway at 200 km/h, that's too slow. You can only land with the nose so high, because the exhaust nozzles will scrape the runway. So, at 200, your sink rate is much too high and that's why you bounce.

250-270 km/h seems about right, maybe a little faster if you're landing while still carrying lots of fuel and weapons. The heavier your plane is, the higher the landing speed has to be.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Speed should never be less than 270, approach is 300. Also, max AoA is 12°, the opened exhaust nozzles would touch down above. Being bumpy is a bit frustrating yeah but that problem comes accross if you land real hard. This aircraft needs a little smoother touchdown than the others. But still the force should be corrected, because it can catapult you 50m high which is silly.

[sIGPIC]http://www.forum.lockon.ru/signaturepics/sigpic5279_1.gif[/sIGPIC]

I could shot down a Kitchen :smartass:

Again, guys, really appreciate all your inputs. Will be doing some training sessions tonite focussed on landing... :-)

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals

Again, guys, really appreciate all your inputs. Will be doing some training sessions tonite focussed on landing... :-)

It's a simulator man, you get unlimited free crashes... just fire it up and land away :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Guys, after few horrible tries with a speed of around 300, i realized that I didn´t mention that i´m flying the G-model... And that bird uses knots for speed and feet for flightlevel... ;-) Well, after realizing that, i managed to get the bird on the ground in one piece. Approaching with around 150-160 kts works fine, the only thing i have to manage asap is to get rid of my so called "Hornet-Flying"... Thew MIG-beauty is so different from the F/A-18...

X-56 HOTAS, TFRP Pedals