Adjusting cockpit size in VR

danny875

Apologies for not searching the forums but I just bought a Rift and oh my *** the cockpit in the F18 is absolutely amazing!

My question is how to make everything about 20% bigger?

It seems as though I’m in the cockpit of a glider, am I missing something with the zoom or is it hard coded to be they size?

Cheers

Try different values to the "Force IPD" parameter in Options -> VR ... it will change the size of the virtual cockpit

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Try different values to the "Force IPD" parameter in Options -> VR ... it will change the size of the virtual cockpit

Thanks, that worked a treat. The default was 63.5 but a value of about 57-60 looks much better, I even thin that I would fit in the seat now....

Cheers

Thanks, that worked a treat. The default was 63.5 but a value of about 57-60 looks much better, I even thin that I would fit in the seat now....

Cheers

If I recall most folks are using 65-67 for realistic looking size.

cheers:thumbup:

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

Not sure, for me with the rift 65-67 is like a child’s size cockpit, 45 was like a giants cockpit.

I will have to measure my actual IPD and compare to the software set IPD.

I’m not sure yet if they are linked as IPD usually just helps with focusing (like my Fatshark FPV goggles for quad racing).

Not sure, for me with the rift 65-67 is like a child’s size cockpit, 45 was like a giants cockpit.

I will have to measure my actual IPD and compare to the software set IPD.

I’m not sure yet if they are linked as IPD usually just helps with focusing (like my Fatshark FPV goggles for quad racing).

I didn't know there was a variation between goggles. When I got my rift folks were saying 67 was a good setting. I use 65 and it looks realistic on my rift. I only set my DCS setting. I didn't know there was another way to set the IPD. :thumbup:

Alienware New Aurora R15 | Windows® 11 Home Premium | 64bit, 13thGen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9 13900KF(24-Core, 68MB|  NVIDIA(R) GeForce RTX(TM) 4090, 24GB GDDR6X | 1 X 2TB SSD, 1X 1TB SSD | 64GB, 2x32GB, DDR5, 4800MHz | 1350W PSU, Alienware Cryo-tech (TM) Edition CPU Liquid Cooling  power supply | G2 Rverb VR

If I recall most folks are using 65-67 for realistic looking size.

cheers:thumbup:

It will vary use to user, there is no "one size fits all" or even a range.

So basically you need to set the in game IPD to your IPD in order to get realistic scaling?

No, Force IPD is just a World Scaling, but it will vary depending on a persons IPD. That said, it has nothing to do with matching the IPD your doctor gives you with the in game IPD.

Confusing, I know.

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

Cheers

Glad you got that working ... there is no "right" value, thats why I sugested to try a few :)

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I didn't know there was a variation between goggles. When I got my rift folks were saying 67 was a good setting. I use 65 and it looks realistic on my rift. I only set my DCS setting. I didn't know there was another way to set the IPD. :thumbup:

Its not just variation between goggles.. Its variation between people. Your personal ability to comprehend the size of an object is from years of your brain looking at objects with YOUR eyes and YOUR specific IPD irl. So a "Correct" IPD setting in DCS that makes things look realistic is completely dependent on your own biology and how it works with whatever goggles you have. Its like saying whats the "Correct" shoe size to buy... You find a setting that works for you and your eyeballs and then go for that! :thumbup:

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

No, Force IPD is just a World Scaling, but it will vary depending on a persons IPD. That said, it has nothing to do with matching the IPD your doctor gives you with the in game IPD.

Confusing, I know.

OK, but I've never sat in any of these planes. How do I know when the scaling is right? I would have assumed it's right when it's using my eyes' IPD. Which by the way is how I achieved the most realistic scale.

OK, but I've never sat in any of these planes. How do I know when the scaling is right? I would have assumed it's right when it's using my eyes' IPD. Which by the way is how I achieved the most realistic scale.

I researched the size of the wingspan and the diameter of a couple of the missiles and then messed with the scaling until those sizes 'felt' right. It also happened that when I got the size to 'feel' right, I could read all the cockpit text as well!

Cheers!

It’s difficult and you’ve gotta go with what feels right. You can base it on things like the size of your grip or throttle IRL versus the size it appears in the virtual word, base it on the size of the DDI/MFD looking “about right size”, etc.

When available, pilot bodies also help for scale as they should roughly match your body. I’ve found the pilot bodies tend to run a little hefty when the cockpit is scaled properly for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440