Picking up Warthog

TechRoss

Really excited, my Warthog came into stock and I should pickup today or tomorrow.

Any advice for a new Warthog user, mostly flying the Hornet at the moment.

Anything I should be aware of?

Coming from a X-52 Pro and I do use a DCS-BIOS switch box for some controls.

Great stuff. As you know if you have the A-10C all the controls are already mapped (just need to do trim)

If you have the Hornet I think they have a default setting already mapped but you have to actually load that from the controls screen. I only use Open Beta so I don't know about the stable version.

It's a superb bit of kit. I've had mine for many years now and it still performs.

Edited by Mule

No, you'll have to program the F/A-18 profile. It's an easy plane to program though.

If the spring feels too stiff in the stick for you. You have two choices to fix it. Put on an extension or replace the spring with a lighter one. Both are available.

You can either shave down the AB detent or buy one that's already modified. This will let you push through the detent for AB instead of having to lift the throttle handle to get by it. Which is a pain to do all the time.

The last problem is the TDC slew. Lot's of options to fix that if you can't get along with the stock one.

All of these are easy to fix. None of them may bother you and you can use the stick as you get it. We're all different.

Buzz

No, you'll have to program the F/A-18 profile. It's an easy plane to program though.

If the spring feels too stiff in the stick for you. You have two choices to fix it. Put on an extension or replace the spring with a lighter one. Both are available.

You can either shave down the AB detent or buy one that's already modified. This will let you push through the detent for AB instead of having to lift the throttle handle to get by it. Which is a pain to do all the time.

The last problem is the TDC slew. Lot's of options to fix that if you can't get along with the stock one.

All of these are easy to fix. None of them may bother you and you can use the stick as you get it. We're all different.

This was added on Monday in the open beta. It's in the F/A-18C input file along with other flight sticks.

See here for the announcement. https://forums.eagle.ru/announcement.php?f=105

Edited by Mule

This was added on Monday in the open beta. It's in the F/A-18C input file along with other flight sticks.

See here for the announcement. https://forums.eagle.ru/announcement.php?f=105

You misunderstood that post. The axis assignments come with a generic profile but they were messed up. As an example. For rudder it would have rudder ok but also would also have the joystick and throttle on the rudder.

That's what they're trying to fix but can't seem to do it without messing everybody's profile up. It only applies to axis assignments.

The Warthog does not come with a profile for the F/A-18 like it does for the A-10C. Trust me I wouldn't have spent a lot of time programming my Warthog for the F/A-18 if it came with one. No reason that it should. It's an A-10C stick and throttle, down to the same pressure to activate the buttons and switches.

Buzz

You misunderstood that post. The axis assignments come with a generic profile but they were messed up. As an example. For rudder it would have rudder ok but also would also have the joystick and throttle on the rudder.

That's what they're trying to fix but can't seem to do it without messing everybody's profile up. It only applies to axis assignments.

The Warthog does not come with a profile for the F/A-18 like it does for the A-10C. Trust me I wouldn't have spent a lot of time programming my Warthog for the F/A-18 if it came with one. No reason that it should. It's an A-10C stick and throttle, down to the same pressure to activate the buttons and switches.

I see what you mean about the axis.

However ED have provided files with buttons and switches pre-programmed for the Hornet not only for the Warthog but for other brands of flight sticks etc. This all comes from that poll where Wags was asking what controllers they use etc.

Either way it remains a quality bit of kit. We can agree on that at least :)

This is each user's opinion but get to learn to use the script editor. It's a pretty powerful program that gives the full potential of the hotas.
Are you talking about the Warthog software or actually editing the controller scripts?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Use the Target GUI to make your first scripts. I have found there is nothing I can't do that I need in DCS that way.

It saves searching through 10,000 lines of code searching for an errant curly bracket.

I would highly recommend making a quick script to combine your TM devices before you set up your controls to save backtracking. Always pick advanced when you originally start the file.

For the CF-18 I set up the backlight on the throttle to turn on precisely when the exhaust housing starts to flare a hair before the afterburners really kick in. Adding a ramp over physical device for that would ruin some of my aircraft.

Kicking back and watching my very educational video regarding the Target GUI I made a while ago. I invented some other cool stuff later on. The GUI is definitely easier by light years than the script editor.

I found only one instance where I had to go to the script editor and that was to take layers back out of the script. I uploaded a pic attached of that.

My video is 1.5 hours and covers most of what is possible and how using the GUI.

If you write code already especially C++ of course the script editor has merit.

Watch the video. Take control of your own settings. Sorry for my "supposed" accent and bad impromptu video technique. Not monetized or anything. Just to help folks out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJv1pLWyxuE

layers.thumb.png.c695e00d610efdf4480530dda6dffe5d.png

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

Thanks for all the input guys. Didn't realise there was going to be such a big setup time, if I want to do it right. The HOTAS is downstairs in the car and now I got to try battle thru 2 more hours of work before I can go play.

Will probably look at printing a AB detent on my printer for that issue.

Will look at Target to do some scripting.

Not to sure what the problem with the TDC Slew, but sure when I start playing around I will find it. (I did see people battle to map it and the curves can be a bit off)

Sitting here thinking, do I now get to push the throttle forward to start the engines and not have to use the home keys anymore?

OMF I am now so confused. I can do simple binding in DCS but then the buttons on the Throttle panel are not really that functional. Take the Flaps, that is 3 positions but the throttle is really only a 2 position switch with a off in the middle.

The scripting makes very little sense to me as do the diff.lua files.

I looked at the lua files provide but they are mapped in a very strange way and again makes the throttle panel very limited.

TechRoss

How edit LUA files adding commands for OFF state of 2/3 positions switches is explained there:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

AFAIK the only module (plane) that native support Warthog toggle switches is A-10C - came with their LUA files properly edited by ED to match Warthog.

For other planes you need:

- Edit LUA files

or

- Use TARGET software, what allow you use advanced user made profiles like ones done by Home Fries, or make your own scripts in that sofware - require code knowledge, or just use TARGET basic GUI keyboard emulation.

or

- 3rd part keymapper software like Joystick Gremlin, Joy2Key, Xpadder...

Edited by Sokol1_br

OMF I am now so confused. I can do simple binding in DCS but then the buttons on the Throttle panel are not really that functional. Take the Flaps, that is 3 positions but the throttle is really only a 2 position switch with a off in the middle.

The scripting makes very little sense to me as do the diff.lua files.

I looked at the lua files provide but they are mapped in a very strange way and again makes the throttle panel very limited.

ED supports a little, like the flap switch on Warthog throttle - the F/A 18-C supports it as a three way for flaps ( up, auto, and down)

Would be nice if they did more stuff like that.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

TechRoss

How edit LUA files adding commands for OFF state of 2/3 positions switches is explained there:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=89226

I have been looking at this method and the LUA file for the Hornet is nothing like the ones in the post, that is what threw me when I first got started.

I see the default.lua is similar.

I think I need to learn the target software.

Thanks