F-14 Air Combat Maneuvering.

Destroyer37

I found this video a few years ago and since forgotten about it, I found it again last night and thought it would be a good one to watch to help with the hype and to get ready to fight. Enjoy!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

That would only show which one of us was a better pilot. Plus, if you read my sig you'd understand I don't do those things.

I'd like to know how the real planes did against each other if they had any mock fights, or in real combat.

Buzz

I'd like to see it against the F/A-18C, F-16, and Mig 29.

That would only show which one of us was a better pilot. Plus, if you read my sig you'd understand I don't do those things.

I'd like to know how the real planes did against each other if they had any mock fights, or in real combat.

Little hard to do without someone at the :joystick:

So any discussion would be based only on personal conclusion (opinion) and data spreadsheets.

A good read anyway https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1989_air_battle_near_Tobruk

Thanks Destroyer, watched that before it's a good video.

I'd like to see it against the F/A-18C, F-16, and Mig 29.

There is video out there somewhere of the F-14 against the F-16 and F-15, ill see if I can find it. Im sure there are videos out there of the 14 against 18 aswell. Ill see what I can find!

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

There is video out there somewhere of the F-14 against the F-16 and F-15, ill see if I can find it. Im sure there are videos out there of the 14 against 18 aswell. Ill see what I can find!

That's what I was looking for. Thanks.

I'll look for it too now that I know what planes were used.

Buzz

It did ok against the F-15 ... see sig pic below :music_whistling:

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Here is a little HUD footage with the MiG-29

Specs:

Here is footage from a USN Adversary F-16.

Specs:

I found this video a few years ago and since forgotten about it, I found it again last night and thought it would be a good one to watch to help with the hype and to get ready to fight. Enjoy!

One of my favorite Tomcat documentaries. It was produced by Grumman Aerospace in 1974, the same year the F-14 entered operational service. At the time, it was still considered cutting edge and well ahead of its time.

Here's a follow-up documentary Grumman released the proceeding year:

• 9 months later...

Well, I have been starting dogfighting with my cat for a few days now and I must admit that very often it's stalling, spinning and crashing.

In general, during all the dogfight I remain in afterburning (apparently advices of the real F-14 pilots).

I feel like I'm not pulling too much during the roll but my speed usually drops considerably. I then notice that my flaps manoeuvring (DLC spoilers) are out and that's what breaks. As soon as I get the spoilers in, I get back to a correct speed.

A "tips" or "tricks" to keep my speed is more than welcome... Is it a trick to keep a correct speed?

Thank you for your help....

As soon as the dogfight is engaged, release the external cans?

Why Are the spoilers extending? Is it bilateral? The spoilers are used to roll the airplane as well as the stabilizer.

For quick advice use rudder to roll at very high alpha and keep the stick centered and just use it for pitch.

Just a quick tip that will help you immensly in maneuvering the F-14:

Keep a close eye on the AoA unit strip just below your HUD to the left, and when maneuvering strive to rarely exceed 15 units of AoA (17-18 units can be necessary in a radius fight), as this is generally where the best turn performance is found.

Also go into the vertical works against nearly everyone, f16, f18, mig21, 29, ext. Not sure on the f15s. Remember you have a beautiful fighter that is delta wing down to strait wing airplane that Will fly better slow than anyone else out there.

In general, during all the dogfight I remain in afterburning (apparently advices of the real F-14 pilots).

If I recall, this was the general advice for the TF30 engines in the A to avoid compressor stalls, the F110 engines in the B don't have that issue.

Is it a trick to keep a correct speed?

Kinda... As you come over the top of a loop you may want to cut the burners to avoid picking up too much speed on the downhill leg. As mentioned in the ACM video, the Cat can continue to turn at a much lower speed than most other fighters, good for angles tactics.