Take-Off Technique

Algherghez

What is the correct T/O range of speeds and trim? Have you done any testing on that matter? I'm taking off with trim neutral gently pulling the stick around 250kph but it's very wobbly

Use some positive pitch trim before starting the takeoff roll.

A slight amount is needed, press R_Ctrl+Enter to display the control position indicator. Apply pitch-up trim until about one marker-width of space is seen between the stick position marker and the horizontal neutral line.

Then take off eh :) When you get it right, the MiG-29 takes off nicely.

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

Just be aware that - depending on how much pos pitch trim was added, after wheels/flaps up, the nose pitches up high and you get that awesome vertical style take-off effect. So be prepared to counter that. :)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

What is the correct T/O range of speeds and trim?

The manual of the MiG-29G has this table to calculate the take-off speed:

83CU5re.jpg

Here is how to use the above chart:

pPOwhXP.jpg

As this is a G model, the chart gives the speed in knots, you have to convert that into Km/h.

That said, I usually take off at 250 Km/h with 2-3 clicks of Trim Nose Up and it isnt wobbly at all :)

best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Do you use AB on take-off? I find with the Mig-29 there's a very narrow window where you need to rotate quite quickly at 250km/h otherwise you accelerate so fast you blow the tyres. So I stopped using AB to give me more time to rotate and lift off, but maybe I'm doing something else wrong.

VC

=X51= Squadron is recruiting!

X51 website: https://x51squadron.com/

Join our Discord: https://discord.gg/d9JtFY4

I found a technique that’s working: half a second of trim up for clean configuration, one full second for loaded a/c, something more if you are really heavy, at 250kph pull a bit and it gently leaves the runway in a very shallow climb, you can then stay low and make a spectacular t/o or pull and do a normal one

According to this graph, there are takeoff speeds that come ingame with a significant risk of blowing a tire.

Or has that been fixed in the new patch?

My mains blew at 330km/hr this morning...

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I’m wondering if people realize that, with weight on the mains, “neutral trim” is actually trimming the aircraft slightly nose down. I’m also wondering if this a “takeoff trim” to keep the aircraft from rotatng too severely at takeoff speeds.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Finally felt up to testing out the S despite my cold. Did 3 crosswind takeoffs and landings. Didn't blow any tires, but I would've been grounded after either landing, the plane kept trying to turn into the wind so much I could barely keep it on the strip.

Even more importantly, I didn't tailstrike even during that one time I accidentally took off with flaps retracted. *phew*

I didn't touch the trim controls on the ground, I just started to apply a bit of backpressure on the stick once the speed indicator went above 200 kph at full burner.