How do I cold start?

Rock Star of Rust

First I’ve read the few posts about this problem, so please don’t bash me for not reading or watching etc.

I’m very new to DCS World and I love it! Been flying sims since 1979 (Atari text based...yes I’m old). I have a few modules, the AV 8B being my favorite!

I just purchased the Hornet and Persion Gulf package! I’ve watched Matt Wagners series of Hornet videos...here is my problem...

In the “Cold Start” mission I cannot whatsoever move the throttles to start the engines. The keyboard bindings don’t seem to work either. I’ve tried idle off/on left right...nothing!

I’m using an old Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 (Stop laughing). I’m at my wits end after hours of no joy.

Any help would be much appreciated. I hate to hang it up because the DCS F 18 is such a beautiful model.

P.S. the throttle works if plane is already started!

Thanks a million,

Greg

Maybe try a cold start in the editor or create a fast mission and start from ramp. See if its just the actual "cold start" mission. Also just to be clear, you are using the keyboard commands alt home and shift home to get through idle detent correct?

So you did the

RAlt+Home

and

RShift+Home

and the throttle doesn't move off the stop

???

I7-7700K 4.5 GHz / RTX 2080 Ti / 32Gb RAM / 1Tb 850 Evo SSD / Win10 Pro / TM Warthog / Crosswind Pedals / Odyssey+

There is an Idle cut off switch behind the throtle. If you load a mission with throtle slightly forward the engine will not spool, as the throtle needs to be at idle and is stop by Idle cut off switch behind it.

So pull the throtle back and click the idle cutoff(I dont see it,it’s forward of parking brake release). Once the indicator reach 99 move the throtle slightly forward(but you wont see the throtle move) it’ll start the engine. Then to rev up you’ll have to release the parking brake

Sorry for he terminology not good at remembering them

Edited by Revs

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

The same idle cut off sometimes messes me up when I get everything done and ready to roll, I’ll hit idle cut off instead of parking brake release. It shuts the engine.

Disregard, why was I thinking you’re asking about the AV8b

Edited by Revs

Ryzen 1700 @ 3.8GHz / 32GB( 4x8 ) @ 3.2GHz / 1TB ADATA NVMe System Drive / 232GB NVMe Samsung 960 / ASUS dual RTX 2080ti / Reverb / Rift CV1 / T-16000M FCS flight pack

A10C/M2000C/F5E/SA342/Mi8/UH1H/KA50/AJS-37/FA-18C/AV-8B/F-14/Mig29/CA/SU-27

The same idle cut off sometimes messes me up when I get everything done and ready to roll, I’ll hit idle cut off instead of parking brake release. It shuts the engine.

Disregard, why was I thinking you’re asking about the AV8b

:megalol: I was getting so confused lol

Hey!

Look into moving the throttle from the idle/cutoff position - it starts with the throttles in the idle/cutoff position and it's a pain to get them out. I started just using the autostart feature because of that...

Cheers!