Bombing HUD and meaning

Opalias

So I’ve read the manual a bunch of times, but there are some things that are still very confusing to me about the bombing modes. I have been able to drop bombs, and often with accuracy, but I still don’t feel like I understand what is happening.

CCIP is pretty straight forward and gives me symbology that makes sense to me intuitively, here is your first impact point, last bomb will hit here, you’re in charge of the timing. Easy.

With dive bombing I’m still not sure if the computer is aiming for the M waypoint, or is it where my reticle was when I unsafed the trigger, or is it when I pulled the trigger, is the release cue just a visual telling me to drop, or does it enable a computer aided CCRP once I pull the trigger.

Also the 4 g pull up is that just to stretch the bomb impact pattern?

I tried to watch some videos, but the one that cover the most bombing modes ended a lot of his runs with a comment like, “yeah, that’s seemed to work, I think”.

Again while I am very interested in improving my accuracy, anyone who can speak to the mechanics of what the plane/computer is doing would be greatly appreciated.

So its a bit more complicated but not once you understand:

Dive and level both have a few modes that use radar and a mode that is "quick release". The radar mode (usually in ANF ) is tied to the M waypoint for purposes of radar ranging.

In either case it really works the same. Fly at the target and when you unsafe make sure you are "lined up at the target". Next you need to pull and hold the trigger between when the flashing bars at the bottom and when the "wings" appear in the hud.

When you pull the trigger and hold make sure you keep the Flight path dot in the steering circle. The bombs will release when needed. (a bit like CCRP in concept)

Essentially how this works for either mode is whenever you pull the trigger whatever your "pipper" is on the system sees is the target for ranging and triangulation purposes.

Regardless what mode your QFE needs to be correct.

Does that help? I am making a better visual guide since I don't feel its explained to well in any other guide.

Bombing HUD and meaning

Yeah it’s hard to know because even the source documents are unclear. In DCS it is currently marking the target with unsafe in PLAN-mode and with the trigger in DYK-mode. It is the closest I got to the explanation in the RL manual (like, after trigger the symbology shows how to steer to hit the target, so I reason it is a CCRP-style logic in DYK).

Edited by RagnarDa

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

DYK ANF is radar supported CCRP dive toss.

DYK NAV is w/o radar.

SAAB was first to produce dive toss bombing computers and were leaders in this field. There are few patents available on net from SAAB on the topic. Example of using laser instead of radar for slant ranging (might be helpful for RagnarDa):

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3474704A/en

And another viggen related: aiming solution for wind and moving targets:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US3689741

Edited by Vatikus

Ragnar, I think it would be hugely appreciated, as well as good for sales, if you would put together a really comprehensive guide to all the different weapons delivery-modes, especially in regards to bombs, rockets and guns. Because I have personally really struggled with figuring these out and without much success, so it has really been a very frustrating experience which hade made me fly the Viggen a lot less, despite the fact that I really want to like this aircraft.

And it's not just me, I've read so many other posts about this and watching youtube videos where people are equally frustrated/puzzled. So please please please fix all the remaining bugs in this (if there are any) and make a manual that really explains super clearly how it all works. It's such a fantastic module I just hate to see it brought down by things like this.

I don't have a problem with guns or rockets, but it is true that the manual doesn't explain the low-drag modes well enough. Specifically, I would like it if there was a mention of dive parameters for dyk mode, and I would like to have known in advance about the safety altitude changes in level mode (the manual only states that releases typically happen at 200m).

The safety altitude actually impacts rockets and guns too, but not to the same extent as far as I've seen.

Is dive bombing sensitive to QFE? I have been trying to dive bomb in the caucuses recently and I did not set waypoints. I used the map to determine the altitude and divided by 27 to calculate QFE, the area is pretty hilly, and I made some adjustments during my approach to get the QFE adjusted altimeter to agree with the radar altimeter in the HUD. I went through my normal bombing run and the bombs fell well long of the target.

Any thoughts and strategies when bombing in a hilly area?