SteamVR introduces Motion Smoothing

ram0506

New feature for the SteamVR Beta: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1696061565016280495

Seems to be a kind of improved ASW for the Vive/Vive Pro. Unfortunately it doesn`t work with other headsets.

Maybe someone can test it with DCS?

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

New feature for the SteamVR Beta: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/1696061565016280495

Seems to be a kind of improved ASW for the Vive/Vive Pro. Unfortunately it doesn`t work with other headsets.

Maybe someone can test it with DCS?

Tested it out with Vive Pro/2080 Ti. Didn't notice much of a difference. Flying the Spit it seems I get less of a jello effect when looking through the gunsight. Was running on 1.5 PD/No AA with mostly maxed settings. Very playable and not a lot of dipping into the 30s. Almost constant 45 fps.

My controls & seat

Main controls: , BRD-N v4 Flightstick (Kreml C5 controller), TM Warthog Throttle (Kreml F3 controller), BRD-F2 Restyling Bf-109 Pedals w. damper, TrackIR5, Gametrix KW-908 (integrated into RAV4 seat)

Stick grips:

Thrustmaster Warthog

Thrustmaster Cougar (x2)

Thrustmaster F-16 FLCS

BRD KG13

Standby controls:

BRD-M2 Mi-8 Pedals (Ruddermaster controller)

BRD-N v3 Flightstick w. exch. grip upgrade (Kreml C5 controller)

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle

Pilot seat

Thanks! Seems to me the same effect as ASW.

Still hoping for more optimizations of DCS for VR.

I7 6700K, Asus Z170 Pro Gaming, EVGA GTX1080Ti SC, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000, Win10 64, BenQ EW3270ZL 2560x1440, VPC WarBRD Base + TM Warthog Grip, TM Warthog Throttle, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals, Oculus Rift S

Thanks! Seems to me the same effect as ASW.

Still hoping for more optimizations of DCS for VR.

Wags stated recently they are coming, did not state when that might be though.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

In my opinion this plus Kegetys mod works wonders for VR. I can look on the ground directly below me and do not see stutter anymore. I can have quite "sharp" cockpit panels and also no stutter whatsoever.

There are strange artifacts when fps dips, but same happens with ASW.

Now I'm only a total noob in DCS, and have flown sparingly, so I don't have good comparison base to someone who flies daily. But for me, this option will remain on with DCS for the foreseeable future :)

I'm getting alot of jiggling propeller artifacts but only it seems in the spitfire, especially with the gunsight reticle, so I cant be sure its a steam VR thing. Performance seems very good with the smoothing. Those artifacts are distracting though and DCS spitfire is my fave module of any flightsim. Anyone having the same problem? I am using the shader mod...might try to disable.

It doesnt seem to affect other planes, but I did hear rift user always get propeller artifacts. I hope this doesent mean that now VIVE users also have them?

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I'm getting alot of jiggling propeller artifacts but only it seems in the spitfire, especially with the gunsight reticle, so I cant be sure its a steam VR thing. Performance seems very good with the smoothing. Those artifacts are distracting though and DCS spitfire is my fave module of any flightsim. Anyone having the same problem? I am using the shader mod...might try to disable.

It doesnt seem to affect other planes, but I did hear rift user always get propeller artifacts. I hope this doesent mean that now VIVE users also have them?

Rift users get the prop artifacts due to ASW kicking in ( below 90 fps ).

ASW can be disabled , where one does not get the prop artifacts. But if system is not up to the task, could introduce stuttering.

On my rig I have no problem running with ASW disabled for my Rift, as long as I keep my settings where I can stay at or above 45 fps. If I am getting stuttering, I can not perceive it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Do you know a way to change it back?
I edited "steamvr.vrsettings" located in steam/config folder. I removed an autogenerated dcs.exe section in the file but you can remove or edit only the "motion smoothing" line if you prefer
Edited by paradox64

ROG Maximus XI Hero / i9-9900k @5Ghz / 32Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz / Samsung 960 Pro M.2 / RTX2080ti / Vive Pro / ROG 3440x1440

Just gave the SteamVR Beta (1539997838 ) with Motion Smoothing a quick try out.

With the current system I'm using (see signature), I'm inclined to leave Mtion Smoothing disabled with DCS World, for now.

The visual artifact which looks like flying through water, or a constant shock wave is disagreeable.

Plus as for FPS, it appears to induce a slight FPS penalty.

Hope it improves with DCS World.

DCS is better of without it for the time being. I only really seem to have problem with spitfire at the moment but havent tried enough different modules to say for sure. Even so spitfire is essential!

Edited by Wolf8312
IL-2 is indeed affected by artifacts

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

I edited "steamvr.vrsettings" located in steam/config folder. I removed an autogenerated dcs.exe section in the file but you can remove or edit only the "motion smoothing" line if you prefer

Never mind found I can turn it off in the steam VR application menu.

------------

Never mind found I can turn it off in the steam VR application menu.
I have not dcs in my steamvr application menu. This is why I did like that

ROG Maximus XI Hero / i9-9900k @5Ghz / 32Gb DDR4 @3200Mhz / Samsung 960 Pro M.2 / RTX2080ti / Vive Pro / ROG 3440x1440

The day before Motion Smoothing came out of nowhere, I was going back and forth with kegetys' VR mod (that I've been using for a few months now) to compare the visual differences. The VR mod makes scenery shadows black and you lose a lot of the subtle color tones of the dawn and dusk hours. At the end, I decided to put up with 45fps and reprojection and enjoy the full beauty this engine is capable of.

So I thought that Motion Smoothing being released next day was such a happy coincidence. At 45fps the artifacts should be minimal and MS would provide the 90fps experience of the VR mod. Unfortunately, with MS enabled my fps go down to 30 and stay there most of the time.

After much testing, I decided to disable MS. But then, it took me 5 minutes to realize that just by testing it I got used to the smoothness it indeed provides.

I'm leaving MS on all the time and despite all the wobbling hud frames, vitreous effects and flickering wing leading edges, I'm very satisfied with it. Afterall, below 90fps the experience is always going to be subpar. As of now I prefer the visual artifacts of Motion Smoothing to the doubled image of vanilla async reprojection. And I have hopes that Valve will improve the efficiency in future updates so I can get back my 45fps in DCS.

Edited by average_pilot

The day before Motion Smoothing came out of nowhere, I was going back and forth with kegetys' VR mod (that I've been using for a few months now) to compare the visual differences. The VR mod makes scenery shadows black and you lose a lot of the subtle color tones of the dawn and dusk hours. At the end, I decided to put up with 45fps and reprojection and enjoy the full beauty this engine is capable of.

So I thought that Motion Smoothing being released next day was such a happy coincidence. At 45fps the artifacts should be minimal and MS would provide the 90fps experience of the VR mod. Unfortunately, with MS enabled my fps go down to 30 and stay there most of the time.

After much testing, I decided to disable MS. But then, it took me 5 minutes to realize that just by testing it I got used to the smoothness it indeed provides.

I'm leaving MS on all the time and despite all the wobbling hud frames, vitreous effects and flickering wing leading edges, I'm very satisfied with it. Afterall, below 90fps the experience is always going to be subpar. As of now I prefer the visual artifacts of Motion Smoothing to the doubled image of vanilla async reprojection. And I have hopes that Valve will improve the efficiency in future updates so I can get back my 45fps in DCS.

What are you specs buddy?

Motion smoothing is much better for me too in terms of smoothness I could not even feel ASW, but there was alot of ghosting and a terrible amount of weird artifacts as if looking through water. I found shader mod to be about as good as MS, though without mod, I would probably go with MS.

Really hope it will be improved upon. If they can get rid of the artifacts it will basically be as good as playing without ASW, but its glitchy as hell at the moment. Weirdly it seems to affect some planes more than others.

All in all its another tantalising VR story of so near and yet so far. You couldnt say its any solution for the future of VR, as its just to erratic.

------------

Yep, see here.

A kind of ASW for the Vive only as it seems.