Live Satellite Datalink

Sandy

I wonder if modern combat aircraft, especially the F18, are able to display live satellite images like the hornet pilot on this very rare and classified image does?

Using the TGP on the A10 for example just seems so outdated (yes I know it's the C version, but still), and I haven't seen anything revolutionary on the F18 so far.

If datalinks to reconnaissance airplanes / drones / satellites don't exist in real life, even nowadays, what are the reasons?

Would be nice to have some insights.

9bhc499n.jpg

3C (Command, Control, Communications) is probably the last inch of steel at the extreme pointy edge of modern combat and as such, the latest Gee Whizzery doesn't get talked about on open channels very much. Lots of generalizations (and we benefit in DCS) but I don't think you'll find any 110% authentic "real world" info.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

It‘s not like satcoms would be a new technology. Videos about how uav operations work have been on yt for several years now.

I know that the military videos uploaded to the internet often have their resolution tuned down. Still.

My neighbour is running a consumer drone with vr goggles and the image quality seems far superior to what I have seen in fighter jets so far. This just can‘t be right. What do I miss here?

If that image is classified , you're in trouble :)

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

My neighbour is running a consumer drone with vr goggles and the image quality seems far superior to what I have seen in fighter jets so far. This just can‘t be right. What do I miss here?

Like you said, footages released by the military is tuned down.

I think a good way to get an idea of what they have at their disposal is to check law enforcement aerial footage

Like you said, footages released by the military is tuned down.

I think a good way to get an idea of what they have at their disposal is to check law enforcement aerial footage

That's actually really interesting, thanks for posting it.

Meanwhile, I found this video. Given the quality of satellite images from the 1960s and 70s, I am a bit surprised that satellite links don't appear to be widely implemented in the military yet.

Shouldn't the quality of satellite images be as precise as centimetres or at least decimetres by now? (Not even talking of awacs / drone / aircraft cameras here). Or is that science fiction..

It's not the "What" it's the "Who" (can see it) and "How" (they see it)

The A-10C SADL we have is cool, but compared to what's in the latest suite, it's Stone Age tech. By comparison to the layers of SA availbe IRL, we're flying nearly blind.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

link 16 can transmit imagery but is really limited by bandwidth speeds. I don't see real time updates of SAt imagery being a thing of the max bandwidth is going to be 1 Megabitper second. That is slow by today's consumer speeds we are used to having from Our ISP, (but certainly was considered good speeds for Its time of its Initial Introduction) Current Standard WIFI 802.11B-C protocal standard can run from 11 MBS up to 1 Gigabit per second.

So if ED does implement a way to send sat images based on player requests from some sort of cc it's not going to be able to be updated in real time.

below is an example of taxpayer money being well spent on link 16 bandwidth being used to send some imagery upon pilots request ( albeit on a super hornet)

1imddRR.jpg

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

link 16 can transmit imagery but is really limited by bandwidth speeds. I don't see real time updates of art imagery being a thing of the max bandwidth is going to be 100 kilobits per second. That is painstankingly slow by today's consumer speeds we are used to having from Our ISP.

So, no netflix while in marshall stack?

So, no netflix while in marshall stack?

not even close enough speeds to Watch Netflix :lol:

Here is site where you can calculate how long it would take you to download something based on calculating File size, bandwith speeds.

https://www.broadbandsolutions.com.au/business-centre/viewpoint/understanding-connection-speeds-megabytes-megabits

though One would have to get a reasonable idea of how large an average File Size from a given Satellite image sent over to the Hornet Via Datalink would be in order to calculate how long it would take to download

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

not even close enough speeds to Watch Netflix :lol:

We should vote for an usb port in the cockpit then ;)

though One would have to get a a reasonable of how large an average File Size a given Satellite image sent over to the Hornet Via Datalink would be in order to calculate how long it would take

I have no clue about that, but I remember having read about that problem concerning drones some time ago. The chapter "on board data processing" of this site for example is about the bandwith problem. Might be solved by processing data on the aircraft / uav itself, and not stream raw data.

This article is about encryption to prevent enemies from reading captured SSDs etc.

edit: most of the stuff still seems to be stored locally, like the F18 black boxes / flight recorders here (are those black boxes?)

Edited by Sandy