AMPCD - HSI CONTRAST / BRIGHTNESS PROBLEM

captflyby

Please, please can we get control over the brightness/contrast/size/color of the lettering in the AMPCD color DDI display.

I cannot read that thin washed out green color when the map is on - which of course, makes the map totally worthless.

At this point, I'd settle for a config file that I could edit!

If anyone knows how to do this, assistance would be GREATLY appreciated.

Open up the "MDG_StrokesDef.lua" and adjust some Numbers... it can be found here:

...\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\Multipurpose_Display_Group\Common\indicator

Here is my numbers for VR, you will have to change them for your liking... in bold is what they are used for... basically the "fuzziness" is whats causing the blurriness.. and if you want to be able to read the text on the moving map increase the amount of the fuzziness there... see below

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

stroke_thickness = 1.0 --Thickness of Text and Objects on L/R DDIs & HUD

stroke_fuzziness = 0.1 --Blurriness of the edges/outline of the Text and Objects on L/R DDIs & HUD

-- Currently is used for DMC generated fonts black outline

DMC_outline_thickness = stroke_thickness * 2.5 --Thickness of the Black outline of the Text and Objects on AMPCD

DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 25 --Blurriness of the Black outline of the Text and Objects on AMPCD. The bigger this number is the more Shadow the green font will have

DMC_stroke_thickness = 0.5 --Thickness of Text and Objects on the AMPCD

DMC_stroke_fuzziness = 0.15 --Blurriness of the edges/outline of the Text and Objects on the AMPCD, shrink this number by a lot

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This will break game integrity...

Edited by DDSSTT

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.csg-2.net/

thx @DDSSTT

interesting possibility. quite nice.

I still got problems with these numbers when I reduce the brightness for night missions. But daytime readability improved enough.

btw...

DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 25 --Blurriness of the Black
was surely meant to be

"DMC_outline_fuzziness = stroke_fuzziness * 2.5 --Blurriness ..."

right?

25 looks funny

thanks anyway

Edited by Tom Kazansky

Look at this mod :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...files/3301897/

Hope it will help.

Using this mod, displays (HUD, DDIs and AMPCD) look sharp at normal zoom.HUD text has been sharpened and green color has been modified in order to be red on a bright background. On AMPCD, HSI text and lines are now red without outline: this way text and HIS symbology are easily readable with moving map on and also off.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've submitted a Mod to Eagle Dynamics for hosting in their User Files, that fixes all the readability problems with the AMPCD and the MFD's in bright light.

Here's the before:

https://imgur.com/a/Za3JhwM

And here after applying the mod:

https://imgur.com/a/3mE8vgv

To install the mod you will only need either OVGME (easiest) or manually replace the files (but will need to re-do this after each update of the Hornet).

It passes integrity so no problem with Multiplayer and it's been tested in VR.

Grab it here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3311626/

The colours chosen were to remain still visible in all lighting and against all different map layouts (e.g. red lettering alone, washes out and becomes unreadable at high scales of the Caucasus and Persian Gulf maps and white washes out over almost all landmass maps except water)

Edited by Elphaba

Version 1.1

Fixed an issue where the SA page on the AMPCD wasn't showing the correct Data Link iconology.

Please re-download and replace.

Apologies for not spotting that but I needed to fly with some friends and could only do that tonight as I had food poisoning yesterday.

I love the look of the left/right DDI's. Is there a way to change the font color on the AMPCD map? The green font with the black outline is 'better' but I'd like to experiment with different font colors.

I have your mod running in OvGME.

I'm comfortable unzipping the file, editing .lua files in Notepad++, then re-zipping it for use in OvGME. I just need to know which .lua file and which line(s) to modify.

Thanks.

I love the look of the left/right DDI's. Is there a way to change the font color on the AMPCD map? The green font with the black outline is 'better' but I'd like to experiment with different font colors.

I have your mod running in OvGME.

I'm comfortable unzipping the file, editing .lua files in Notepad++, then re-zipping it for use in OvGME. I just need to know which .lua file and which line(s) to modify.

Thanks.

Sure, you'll see it in the materials.lua line in the mod:

MDG_materials[MDG_SELF_IDS.HI] = {153, 255, 153, 255} -- MDG_materials[MDG_SELF_IDS.LMDI]

However, I've spent a few hours testing all the reds, oranges, yellows, blues, greens, hot pinks, neon cyan, white, black etc... and each time I checked it on all different zooms of the map because those map colours play a huge part as to what font colour is most visible.

I've found this light green with black borders is the most visible on all maps and at all zoom levels, but have at it.

Edited by Elphaba

• 1 month later...
Sure, you'll see it in the materials.lua line in the mod:

MDG_materials[MDG_SELF_IDS.HI] = {153, 255, 153, 255} -- MDG_materials[MDG_SELF_IDS.LMDI]

However, I've spent a few hours testing all the reds, oranges, yellows, blues, greens, hot pinks, neon cyan, white, black etc... and each time I checked it on all different zooms of the map because those map colours play a huge part as to what font colour is most visible.

I've found this light green with black borders is the most visible on all maps and at all zoom levels, but have at it.

Just a quick thank you to Elphaba. Your mod made all the difference. I couldn’t read the AMPCD screen at all during the day. Cheers!

Edited by Harlequin420
Type-o

Aurora R11, Oculus Quest in Rift mode, Core i9 10900k, 64g ram 6tb NvMe, 2080ti, Reverb G2 preordered