New player help

Hello all,

Im new to DCS but a long time sim player.. aka IL2, LOMAC,FC, warthunder, blar blar blar.

I'll be getting a new laptop in the next four weeks to play DCS as my old girl is just not up to the task.. aka ive the F18 mod and can only run on Low and still only get 20FPS... LOL.. I've not got a BIG budget and looking for a laptop to maybe run the game on Medium settings getting around 60FPS/70 what would I be looking at spec's wise ? I understand more is better but i just don't have the coin to go super high spec.. I'll not be playing online just making missions and flying them and playing campaigns.. I'm also looking at getting the golf map and FC3,

Any help would be great

Cheers Fonz

Acer Predator 500 Laptop i7 8750 @ 3.9MHz /16GB DD4 / GTX1070 / 256 SSD

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

Hello, and welcome to the crowd.

What you are looking for is SSD, Intel i5 CPU and 16GB RAM plus a dedicated GPU with 8GB RAM, surely if you can go beyond that, then do by all means but this will get you started.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Processor TypeCore i7Processor Model8750H

Processor Speed (GHz)2.20Processor Max Speed (GHz)4.10

Installed RAM16GBRAM Configuration1 x 16GBRAM Expandable To (GB)32RAM TypeDDR4Primary

Storage Capacity128GBStorage TypeSSD

Additional Storage Capacity1TBAdditional Storage TypeHDD

GPU Chipset ManufacturerNVIDIAGPU

ChipsetGeForce GTX 1060Graphics Card Memory6GB

How about this ? What FPS would it run at?

Edited by Fonz_408

Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3FtEcJlj_34i3IVqx6pE_w?view_as=subscriber

You can't ask such question "What FPB would it run at" expecting a definitive answer. This particular is missing core component a discrete (dedicated) video adapter (Graphics Processing Unit, GPU). This one you posted? I think it would not run that good at all with inbuilt GPU but perhaps there are other users of such system who could help.

I think you should also review requirements posted on the product pages, such as this one:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/terrains/persiangulf_terrain/

Minimum system requirements (LOW graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 7/8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Intel Core i3 at 2.8 GHz or AMD FX; RAM: 8 GB (16 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 60 GB; Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 / AMD R9 280X or better; requires internet activation.

Recommended system requirements (HIGH graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 56 with 8GB VRAM or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Recommended VR systems requirements (VR graphics settings): OS 64-bit Windows 8/10; DirectX11; CPU: Core i5+ at 3+ GHz or AMD FX / Ryzen; RAM: 16 GB (32 GB for heavy missions); Free hard disk space: 120 GB on Solid State Drive (SSD); Discrete video card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 / AMD Radeon RX VEGA 64 or better; Joystick; requires internet activation.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

I am another new player with a few general questions about DCS:

1. Is there a possibility to switch between existing player profiles? I know that you can delete your current profile and thus get back to an older profile, but maybe there is a better way than deleting profiles.
  2. Is there a better way to increase the haze than just decreasing the visibility range in the graphics options? I have set the visibility range as low as possible, but I have read that you can get even better results using the weather options in the mission editor. However, I was not able to get satisfying results, because it looked unrealistic when I added some fog or dust.
  3. I have noticed some bugs in the campaign editor. E.g. the order of the missions is sometimes wrong or your custom campaign can end too soon, even if there are still some missions left. Are the devs going to fix these bugs? Or is it possible to create a workaround?
  4. Regarding Tacview: Can we display static objects in Tacview? Currently I can only see non-static objects like airplanes but no static objects like oil derricks, which I have placed in the mission editor for a bombing mission.
  5. I know that DCS is mainly a flight simulator, but does it also simulate damages on your airplane if you do not land on a proper runway? E.g. if you land on some unpaved desert field or on a bombed runway.

I hope at least one of my questions gets answered here. Especially question number 2. :D

Any particular reason you are wedded to the laptop form factor?

For the cost of that gaming laptop you could do a midrange desktop build and still have money leftover for a cheap used laptop for work or school? DCS takes a high end CPU and GPU to get decent performance. Using a laptop will limit performance right out of the gate due to size and power design constraints. Gaming laptops don't make sense in terms of bang for buck. Even the most expensive gaming laptop will be outperformed by a cheaper desktop with few exceptions, and are usually heavy and noisy with a big AC adaptor. Not much actual portability.

If you go to LAN parties or something, you can move a standard desktop case and rehook the cables fairly quickly after you do it few times.

Another thing to consider, the motherboard I use has tons of USB ports and I still use a usb hub. You will be very limited in available USB ports and power surplus with a laptop and you'd pretty much have to keep it plugged in all the time because the battery will drain too fast.

Laptops are good for less graphically intensive strategy games, not so much for flight sims and AAA games.

For the cost of that gaming laptop you could do a midrange desktop build and still have money leftover for a cheap used laptop for work or school? DCS takes a high end CPU and GPU to get decent performance. Using a laptop will limit performance right out of the gate due to size and power design constraints. Gaming laptops don't make sense in terms of bang for buck. Even the most expensive gaming laptop will be outperformed by a cheaper desktop with few exceptions, and are usually heavy and noisy with a big AC adaptor. Not much actual portability.

If you go to LAN parties or something, you can move a standard desktop case and rehook the cables fairly quickly after you do it few times.

Another thing to consider, the motherboard I use has tons of USB ports and I still use a usb hub. You will be very limited in available USB ports and power surplus with a laptop and you'd pretty much have to keep it plugged in all the time because the battery will drain too fast.

Laptops are good for less graphically intensive strategy games, not so much for flight sims and AAA games.

He's right. Unless you have a "hammered in stone" reason for a laptop it is a BAD idea to pick a laptop over a desktop. Moneywise 1st, later on you experience all the other drawbacks as well. Repair, upgrade, clean, etc.. all a hassle with laptops. been there, not again unless I really really have to have it mobile.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hello, and welcome to the crowd.

What you are looking for is SSD, Intel i5 CPU and 16GB RAM plus a dedicated GPU with 8GB RAM, surely if you can go beyond that, then do by all means but this will get you started.

that

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]W10(64bit)Asus Rog Strix Z370-F - i7 8700K - Dark Rock Pro 4 - 16 giga ram Corsair vengeance 3000 - MSI RTX 2070 Super - Asus Rog Phobeus soundcard - Z906 Surround speaker - Track ir5 - HOTAS Warthog

He's right. Unless you have a "hammered in stone" reason for a laptop it is a BAD idea to pick a laptop over a desktop. Moneywise 1st, later on you experience all the other drawbacks as well. Repair, upgrade, clean, etc.. all a hassle with laptops. been there, not again unless I really really have to have it mobile.

Well if it was 2015 or before you would be right, but from around 2017 gaming laptops made a big big jump in performance and really are only 10% behind there equal PC machines .. the only really problem now days is thermal throttling.. but i need one due to space in my house and dont have a place to put a permanent PC..

Well if it was 2015 or before you would be right, but from around 2017 gaming laptops made a big big jump in performance and really are only 10% behind there equal PC machines .. the only really problem now days is thermal throttling.. but i need one due to space in my house and dont have a place to put a permanent PC..

The problem has always been thermal throttling mostly when it comes to sustained performance vs. short burts of processing anything.

BTW, I said. REPAIR - CLEANING -- UPGRADING, none of that got better, realy none.

If you have enough space to place a 17" Gaming Laptop + 250w PowerBrick + HOTAS + Rudder Pedals you also likely have the space for a small ITX case that has virtually none of those drawbacks ( ok, its a bit small to work inside but you can ! ), has ALL the right boxes ticked, CPU, GPU, AIO, NVME, SSD, all of YOUR choice, plus a really nice PSU.

Just an idea what alternatives there are for limited to very little space ;)

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

The problem has always been thermal throttling mostly when it comes to sustained performance vs. short burts of processing anything.

BTW, I said. REPAIR - CLEANING -- UPGRADING, none of that got better, realy none.

If you have enough space to place a 17" Gaming Laptop + 250w PowerBrick + HOTAS + Rudder Pedals you also likely have the space for a small ITX case that has virtually none of those drawbacks ( ok, its a bit small to work inside but you can ! ), has ALL the right boxes ticked, CPU, GPU, AIO, NVME, SSD, all of YOUR choice, plus a really nice PSU.

Just an idea what alternatives there are for limited to very little space ;)

Well my wife is the space problem really.. Hahaha and really ive only space for the Laptop and 16000, and I have to move it when not gaming... pain in the Ass...lol :cry:

This is why i need a laptop... and its looking as ill get a Acer Predator 500

Good Repair, Good cooling and upgradable ram to 64G

Also @Bitmaster im after abit of info of what to do with my install on my new laptop, ive DCS installed on my old laptop and F18 mod installed.. what is the best way to install it on my fresh machine.. and is there a way to run the installer without re-downloading again? I've also heard i need to uninstall the F18 mod.. and reinstall on new machine?

• 2 weeks later...

Well i got my new laptop, Ended up with the Acer Preditor 500.. and its a beast running DCS on HIGH settings getting 100fps at low alt.. and up to 130fps at high alt.. Specs i7 8750H, 1070 GPU @8GB, 16GB DDR4, and 256GB SDD with back up 1TB HD... very Happy!!!!

Well i got my new laptop, Ended up with the Acer Preditor 500.. and its a beast running DCS on HIGH settings getting 100fps at low alt.. and up to 130fps at high alt.. Specs i7 8750H, 1070 GPU @8GB, 16GB DDR4, and 256GB SDD with back up 1TB HD... very Happy!!!!

Almost a carbon copy of my desktop specs :) Does it run hot/noisy?

CPU sounds like it has room to spare... you could go for quite heavy missions I believe.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Almost a carbon copy of my desktop specs :) Does it run hot/noisy?

CPU sounds like it has room to spare... you could go for quite heavy missions I believe.

Well no not at all, very cool really ive not seen the CPU go over 70 and the GPU over 65.. but yes its alittle noisy as i have the fans Max but i have headphones :pilotfly:

Ive made my first video tonight locking in FRAPS to run at 100fps and i had one little hick up but it REC the game mostly at 1080p at 80fps.. I'll post the link after its uploaded