The Mi-8 freezes my system every now & then

msalama

I'm suffering from an occasional hard freeze requiring a power cycle when starting up the Mi-8. It happens once in a blue moon so most of the time everything's OK, but every now and then the whole system locks up with only a light blue screen showing and the sound looping in the background.

Could be something with the hardware, but somehow I'm not inclined to believe that since it only happens with the Hip and any taxing missions etc. stressing the HW never cause this to happen. Anyone else seeing this?

PS/EDIT: And I should probably mention that this only happens on the Caucasus map when looking down- or upwards while starting up the chopper, i.e. when I rapidly change my viewpoint with the keyboard (no VR / Track IR here) sitting in the skipper's seat. Also, no system or DCS logs are produced since this is a hard freeze stopping everything dead.

Edited by msalama

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

An update. It's not actually a hard freeze, but most likely a display driver crash.

I just ran a couple of missions online with a friend, and it happened again after I'd flown the Mi-8 for a while. BUT!!! To my surprise we found out that after the crash, the mission still ran flawlessly in the background, and even our Teamspeak connection was still functional! My friend was able to finish his flight, and the mission was actually running A-OK in the background while I was staring at the frozen blue screen...

Very weird, but definitely _not_ a complete lockup. Investigating further. But what's alarming is that there're NO traces of this whatsoever in any of the logs on this computer - OS, HW, app, DCS, whatever. Any ideas guys?

And I'm also starting to think this only happens under certain lighting conditions, namely when the sunlight is bright and the skies relatively clear. Doesn't happen at all when the sky is cloudy and there's rain or snow it seems.

You might find a log of this event in C/Program data/NVIDEA.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

did you turn on the fans?

Nah, almost turned on the del *.* though :D

Seems these crashes are getting more commonplace though. Let's just hope someone at ED takes notice.

Have you tried a different NV driver yet ?

Some NV drivers have caused my system to BSOD over the past few years.

I then either installed an updated driver or went back to some older version, either way, just try another one.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hmmm... well yeah, this admittedly is an old driver - which, OTOH, has performed very well with DCS so far. But you never know, so I'll try a more recent driver for a comparison as well. S!

Got the most recent driver and no crashes so far. Fingers crossed. Runs somewhat worse than v388.71 though, but I'll see what I can do about that.

I'll let this simmer for a while now and report back later. Thanks all.

UPDATE: The new driver was abominable, a complete stutterfest plus bad FPS all around. Switched back to the old one, but did a deep clean reinstall where I deleted every NVidia reference in the registry, plus deleted all config data in the Windows user directories, plus ran DDU + other registry cleaning apps, plus reinstalled all system-wide C/C++ runtimes. No crashes so far - fingers crossed again - and runs great too, no stutters & FPS pretty much staying at a constant 60 F/S too. I'll keep you posted...

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE 2: nope, still happens. Both the Mi-8 and the Sabre crash the display driver now, and the problem seems worse in MP than SP. Getting kind of tired of this TBH. EDIT: and no mods were on when this happened last so it's not them either + I'm on the latest OB w/ the latest hotfix applied.

Edited by msalama

And the saga continues. Went from 50000 to 25000, still seeing an occasional crash when I fly for a long time with lots of activity and units in the mission. So I think I'm just running out of VRAM and this actually has nothing to do with the Mi-8 or the Sabre per se.

I don't know, probably just have to live with this until I get a new rig. Out for now...

• 2 months later...

UPDATE 3: Yup, I think I finally found it for real. It's the dynamic weather. If it's cloudy and rainy and/or snowy, BAM, a complete freeze requiring a power cycle regardless of the aircraft I'm flying.

I first thought I'm running out of memory and that's that, but no. I've got a couple of largish swap files running now and if I avoid such weather conditions as the one above, no freezes. So maybe ED should look into the weather system once again just to see what's happening?