[INVESTIGATING] Emergency brakes: braking applied when lever pulled

Flamin_Squirrel

As per the title, on pulling of the emergency brake lever, the brakes are applied. This doesn't seem right to me.

If I understand this system correctly, pulling the lever should switch from 2A to 2B hydraulic source, but otherwise function the same (other than no anti-skid) as normal brakes i.e. by use of brake pedals.

I never tried it so I just thought up until now that if I pulled the emergency brake lever I would have brakes applied. Like an E-brake on a car.

I didn't realize it switched to a back up system and I still had to apply toe brakes.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 10700K OC 5.1GHZ / 500GB SSD & 1TB M:2 & 4TB HDD / MSI Gaming MB / GTX 1080 / 32GB RAM / Win 10 / TrackIR 4 Pro / CH Pedals / TM Warthog

The emergency brake handle does not apply braking action itself. The pedals are used to apply the emergency brakes in a manner similar to the normal brakes. It is similar to the function in the A-10.

Yeah that's how I expect it to work too; but (at least for me) it isn't doing that. Pulling the handle puts the brakes on full :shocking:

• 1 month later...

FWIW, I did find this in a old thread but it is for the A-10C...but perhaps the mechanisms are similar...

"Emergency Brake System

An emergency brake system is provided in the event that the normal brake system fails.

The emergency brake system is activated by first pulling the EMER BRAKE handle fully

aft and then depressing the rudder/brake pedals. The right hydraulic system supplies the

emergency brake system which has the same capabilities as the normal brake system

except anti-skid protection. The emergency brake system is fully independent of the

normal brake system except for the dual power brake valve, shuttle valve, and brake

assembly. Should left hydraulic system pressure become available while emergency

braking is selected the emergency brake system still retains control of the brakes.

Emergency braking power is provided by the emergency brake accumulator should the

right hydraulic system fail. Actuation of the EMER BRAKE handle ports right hydraulic

system pressure to the emergency brake system. Right hydraulic system pressure

provides unlimited emergency braking."

No harm done. If you find something different let me know. I'm pretty sure it's a bug, but it's always possible I've made a mistake.

Now as i read that thread, it seems like just pulling the E brake alone should NOT cause any braking, you must also apply toe brakes, which is what you were saying/implying? ...then I remembered that occasionally my toe brakes start out depressed slightly especially when I noticed strange behavior on carrier landings (I could not raise the tail hook or the catch wire would not release...all due to input from toe brakes which I could not see unless I had the CTL-ENT grid on. So I wonder if that's what caused it...Unless it happens all the time...I just landed a few tims and set the E brake and even tho the grid showed brakes were at max level, I ran off the end of the runway...I did not use toe brakes

FWIW, I did find this in a old thread but it is for the A-10C...but perhaps the mechanisms are similar...

Yes I believe the hornet should work the same way.

Now as i read that thread, it seems like just pulling the E brake alone should NOT cause any braking, you must also apply toe brakes, which is what you were saying/implying? ...then I remembered that occasionally my toe brakes start out depressed slightly especially when I noticed strange behavior on carrier landings (I could not raise the tail hook or the catch wire would not release...all due to input from toe brakes which I could not see unless I had the CTL-ENT grid on. So I wonder if that's what caused it...Unless it happens all the time...I just landed a few tims and set the E brake and even tho the grid showed brakes were at max level, I ran off the end of the runway...I did not use toe brakes

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

It has nothing to do with your toe brakes though. Start a mission hot without touching them, press CTRL ENT, pull the emergency brake and watch the brake get applied. You now can't move forward.

Yes I believe the hornet should work the same way.

Yes that's exactly what I'm saying.

It has nothing to do with your toe brakes though. Start a mission hot without touching them, press CTRL ENT, pull the emergency brake and watch the brake get applied. You now can't move forward.

Started at ramp, placed E brake on and took off twice...it did drag a bit more than normal but was airborne without going AB

Parking Brake doesn't engage on the carrier after landing.On airbases functions properly: ( control indicator white lines go up ) On the carrier only when you turn as for emergency..Pull function does nothing.Is it the one you were talking about? If so it must be a bug.

• 4 weeks later...
Parking Brake doesn't engage on the carrier after landing.On airbases functions properly: ( control indicator white lines go up ) On the carrier only when you turn as for emergency..Pull function does nothing.Is it the one you were talking about? If so it must be a bug.

No. I've no problems with brakes on the carrier. This issue is to do with emergency brakes; and it's still an issue.

I don't pretend this is high priory, but can we get some acknowledgement on this one? I actually think it used to work fine. :helpsmilie: