How do I manage engine thrust?

npole

I don't know the (real) F18 so it could be an expected behavior, but I want to be sure I'm not doing anything wrong.

Is it expected that the F18 has a such low thrust? I mean you can barely takeoff with mid-payload?

If compared in example with the other DCS fighters, like the F15 or even the Mirage it's like flying with half engine.

Is this normal or i'm doing something wrong? (except the obvious like.. did u checked your flaps, airbrakes.. :) ).

Thank you.

Are you using afterburners for take off?

This is standard procedure

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Are you using afterburners for take off?

This is standard procedure

Thank you for the help.

Do they engage at 100% thrust (I'm using a hotas) or I have to setup a different command?

There's something I can check that would make me sure that I'm full thrust + AB? (i see rpm 99/100..).

Thank you for the help.

Do they engage at 100% thrust (I'm using a hotas) or I have to setup a different command?

There's something I can check that would make me sure that I'm full thrust + AB? (i see rpm 99/100..).

What I do is put the throttle to the max.

And look at it, then press numpad +,

if the throttle still moves forward you need

to adjust throttle curve probably.

Also is your throttle using a AB detent?

If you look in the options, and go to the special tab.

Theres an option to check/uncheck AB detent.

Edited by kurtz667
Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

What I do is put the throttle to the max.

And look at it, then press numpad +,

if the throttle still moves forward you need

to adjust throttle curve probably.

Also is your throttle using a AB detent?

If you look in the options, and go to the special tab.

Theres an option to check/uncheck AB detent.

I'm gonna try this (the "+" added to the throttle).

I have seen the AB detent option but I didn't figure what's about? May you be more specific?

The HOTAS I'm using it's the TM warthhog.

However I did some other tests on local instances and it's not bad as those online servers I tested, so it may be related to a server settings (wind? restrictions to the f18? ..).

Yes, we were in two and the AB were on by "visual" (F2 external view) and yes I know the nozzle indicators below the left MFD.

However I'm now convinced that it's a problem with some servers.. however how a server setting can influence the performances is a mystery, even by setting a strong wing it's impossible to replicate the same behavior.

I'm gonna try this (the "+" added to the throttle).

I have seen the AB detent option but I didn't figure what's about? May you be more specific?

The HOTAS I'm using it's the TM warthhog.

However I did some other tests on local instances and it's not bad as those online servers I tested, so it may be related to a server settings (wind? restrictions to the f18? ..).

Your TM Warthog has a optional AB detent where you have to finger lift the throttle for AB to engage

(check a yt vid if you don't know how to install the detent).

That being said i've had some issues on a sever as well in the past.

After the carrier launched me, I did not have enough speed to take off, and plunged into the sea.

Can't reproduce this as well.

Edited by kurtz667
Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

TM Warthog will go to full afterburner when the thrust levers are full-forward. If you want, you can take the allen key it came with and turn the piece between the throttles around and have an AB detent built into your hardware. Look at the text alongside the modeled thrust levers and you'll see a 'Mil' indicator and a 'Max' indicator. Generally, 'Mil' is right before AB engages.

Cheers!

Set up the finger lift key bind to your hotas and also ensure the f-18c custom is set to "always on" to get the finger lift to work.

System specs: Intel i9-9900k OC 5.1Ghz, 32 GB PC3200 G.SKILL TridentZ RGB RAM, Asus Strix 2080 TI OC SLI, Asus Z390 Workstation Pro, 970 EVO 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe and many other SSDs, Alienware 3418DW Widescreen 120 Hz G-Sync Monitor, Corsair H150i PRO RGB CPU Cooler

Flightgear: HP Reverb Pro, Samsung Odyssey +, Virpil MongoosT-50CM2 Grip & T-50CM2 Base, TM Warthog, TM TPR Rudder, TM Cougar MFDs, Jetseat, Trackir 5, Sennheiser Game One Headset

The last person who reported something similar had reversed toe brakes. Check RCTRL+ENTER, on the controls overlay looking for proper inputs. Toe brakes shouldn't be engaged, if you are brakes off.

Twitch Channel

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Thunderbirds, LLC | Sponsored by Thrustmaster

Z390 Aorus Xtreme, i9 9900k, G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB, 1080ti 11GB, Obutto R3Volution, Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog, TPR, Cougar MFDs, FSSB R3L, JetSeat, Oculus Rift S, Buddy-Fox A-10C UFC, F/A-18C UFC, Tek Creations F-16 ICP

Thank you for the help.

Keep one eye on your nozzle position indicators on the engine display. When closed in full military power, both nozzles will show one bar from the top. (Edit... note that you will not see 100% N2 at altitude without AB lighting which is why you watch the nozzles, everything else varies with altitude). When AB lights, you get a progressive opening of the nozzles depending on how much fuel you are pouring into them. AB on the Hornet is progressive and variable, not a one shot deal.

I always use the indicators to set full military dry power in the climb. I have even had nozzle actuator malfunctions and had to RTB.

The IFEI should be regarded as an instrument that should be cross referenced every few dozen seconds. If you routinely do missions over 750nm with no in-flight refuelling, you should be referencing it as part of your in flight planning and fuel management in any case.

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

I can confirm now that is server dependent, but I yet to figure what setting is affecting the performance. Vitormouraa above said it could be related to the air temperature in the server... so that's another thing to check, coz I cannot replicate it yet.

On my own server it's working fine, same procedures, same payload, everything goes smooth... on these "random" servers (we was picking random servers, so I cannot be specific... but next time i'll write down the names) we (both with the F18) were having the same issue, like I reported in the first post, it's not just on the ground, when/if you manage to take off, you can barely climb, it's like the engines were lack of power, despite the full throttle and afterburners.

What settings you can put on the server to affect the flying model or the engine power? Air temperature..? Air density..? Anything else?

If you are taking off from a carrier then I was told that the launch force of the catapult is based on the weight of the jet when you connect to it. So if you are connected to the shuttle automatically when you spawned in or if you taxi to the shuttle and manually connect AND THEN ask Ground Crew to rearm you are much heavier. Just press the "U" key to disconnect from the shuttle then press it again to reconnect after loading has completed. Also make sure you reset your trim AND MOST IMPORTANTLY check and adjust the trim of your STABs so they are between 16 and 19 based on aircraft weight. This is done in the FCS page of your DDI. When you reset trim the STAB defaults to 12. That may very well be your issue. If you connect to the shuttle after you load out AND make sure your trim is set properly then in full AB you should not have an issue.

i7-8700K (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.6GHz) 32 GB DDR4 XMP @ 2933MHz, GTX 1080Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5X, Windows 10 Pro, 256GB SSD, TM Warthog Stick & Throttle, TM TPR Pedals, TrackIR5