Just curious...

Eldur

How are missiles shot in the Tomcat? I seriously wonder after having seen quite some footage just like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay4TXoSRc_s&t=4m1s & 4m37s

There's a "Launch" button somewhere on what seems to be the left console of the RIO, because of left hand and the pilot doesn't have these things there AFAIK, couldn't find a good shot of the back 'pit showing it though. Can the pilot fire as well or does he have to tell his RIO to do so? twilightsmile.png

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

In the F-14 both the Pilot and the RIO could fire certain missiles themselves, depending upon the situation. If an AIM-54 Phoenix needed to be fired, it was usually the RIO who fired that missile. As far as the AIM-7 Sparrow it was at crew option. If it was in a tight basic fighter maneuvering fight, the pilot would fire the Sparrow. It it was an over the horizon long range shot, the RIO would fire the missile. Of course IR missiles, guns and bombs were relegated to the pilot only.

Yeah the red button is on the RIO's side, bottom left of the cockpit.

Nice photo for you showing the "launch" button on the RIO's side.

Gotcha%20Baby's%20cockpit.jpg

Edited by WarHawk72

If an AIM-54 Phoenix needed to be fired, it was usually the RIO who fired that missile.

You said "usually". Does this imply that the pilot is able to fire the Phoenix too?

i5-2400 | 16GB Corsair XMS3 | MSI GTX 970 4GB | 500GB Samsung 850 Evo | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog | Saitek Rudder Pedals | Windows 10 64 bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ive read in multiple publications that the computer can fire the missles also. But i have not seen how this system is implemented or used. They just make mention that it is able to do so. I wonder if we will have that option from heatblur.

DCS WISHLIST: F4U-4, A-4M, A-1H(AD-6), OV-10A

Ive read in multiple publications that the computer can fire the missles also. But i have not seen how this system is implemented or used. They just make mention that it is able to do so. I wonder if we will have that option from heatblur.

Never read that, please provide the source as Id like to read up on it.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

Never read that, please provide the source as Id like to read up on it.

macidcrook is probably referring to the Track-While-Scan-Automatic (TWS-A) radar mode. This is what allows the Tomcat to fire six missiles simultaneously while tracking 24 total targets.

Taken from "Grumman f-14 Tomcat" by Doug Richardson.

picture.php?albumid=1600&pictureid=10244

The first part of the paragraph says; "the pilot selects and prepares the weapon to be..."

I have seen this said in a few other publications also, i will have to dig them up. but once again they are only mentions of the computer being able to, no explanation of how it works or anything.

Maybe heatblur has more info. i dont really care if its in the DCS version or not just an interesting option.

DCS WISHLIST: F4U-4, A-4M, A-1H(AD-6), OV-10A