Pilot or Rio?

tribundf

Pilot or Rio?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Pilot or Rio?

• Pilot
    • RIO

Evening All!

Fist off, I am beyond excited about the F14. As so many of us, this is one of my favorite planes since I was a child.

I am looking forward to being able to have RIO in multiplayer. It is going to be an absolute game changer.

That brings me to my questions of who is looking to be a RIO, and who is looking to be a Pilot.

My ultimate goal would be to find a permanent RIO. Who do you all feel about something like that. Are you all exited to mess around with both, focus on one, or just fly along in single player with Jester?

Creating my first poll today. Excited to see the result

Cheers

I picked pilot. Any reason I can't do all the work as the pilot? Don't we do that on all the planes now?

We Do.. but thats because the aircraft are designed around only having a single crew. The F-14 is specifically designed to be more effective if both crew members are working on their own jobs. For instance I don't believe the pilot can run the radar as all the controls are in the back. Hence why he's called a RIO - Radar Intercept Officer.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Great answers. I figured the odds would be even more on the pilot side. Quite exciting to see so many wanting to go RIO.

As I said before, I think it’s going to make for some really new dynamics in multiplayer. Flying together and getting to know how the other reacts etc. just like these stories of old Rio/ pilot combos

I'm generally more interested in avionics than in flying, so I'm definitely looking forward to being a RIO.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

We Do.. but thats because the aircraft are designed around only having a single crew. The F-14 is specifically designed to be more effective if both crew members are working on their own jobs. For instance I don't believe the pilot can run the radar as all the controls are in the back. Hence why he's called a RIO - Radar Intercept Officer.

What if the RIO gets shot? Can't the pilot do it all?

Buzz

What if the RIO gets shot? Can't the pilot do it all?

No he can't. The F14 absolutely requires a two-man crew. There is no way to operate the radar and a few other systems from the front seat.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

You're way better than me. I'm blind in one eye and about 20/30 in the good eye on a good day. 20/40 on a normal day.

I still hunt with primitive iron sights and be a pilot in sims. I squint a lot. ;)

I never let my body tell me what to do. I ignore it and keep moving forward.

Buzz

I'll try both, but prefer the Pilot.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control