Pilot or Rio?

tribundf

Pilot or Rio?  

369 members have voted

1. 1. Pilot or Rio?

• Pilot
    • RIO

You're way better than me. I'm blind in one eye and about 20/30 in the good eye on a good day. 20/40 on a normal day.

I still hunt with primitive iron sights and be a pilot in sims. I squint a lot. ;)

I never let my body tell me what to do. I ignore it and keep moving forward.

That's good, because the Navy would never let us be NAs or NFOs in real life!:cry_2:

They would die laughing when they saw my age.

In all seriousness, though, I've heard people say qualifying for flying jobs in the military (whether as a pilot or otherwise) is akin to winning the lottery. So many things you have no control over have to go right.

In all seriousness, though, I've heard people say qualifying for flying jobs in the military (whether as a pilot or otherwise) is akin to winning the lottery. So many things you have no control over have to go right.

That goes for every job anywhere, more or less.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Not really. Getting hired at McDonalds is a lot easier than joining the military. LOL

It might be easier, yes. But still hard enough rainbowdashwink.png

And as a matter of fact, where I live, back in the time it was relevant for me there was nothing easier than joining the military because you didn't need to do anything since they just drafted you. Instead you had to do somthing to prevent yourself from joining the military. But that's history now...

Edited by Eldur

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Joining the military is easy enough. Being accepted to be a fighter pilot is really hard. You need the right genes besides just wanting it.

And the right timing, apply when pilots are in short supply guys with Coke bottle glasses get radiator wings. Apply when there are plenty, oh you have the wrong degree, no one wants to be an engineer, so that history major has your pilot slot, enjoy your life in acquisitions...

Happened to me, but now that I'm old and have a kid and glad I'm writing this under the same roof as the kid rather than some tent over in the sandbox getting ready to spend 8 hours the next day boring holes in the air hoping someone asks me to drop a JDAM.

spend 8 hours the next day boring holes in the air hoping someone asks me to drop a JDAM.

Now that, right there, is the reality of the modern mission lol.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

both, you forgot to put both as option ;)

+100

cpu:I7-6700k Z170 16GB Ram DDR4 Gtx 1080 8Gb DDR5 11GBs SSD 500 Gb 2 HDD 1Tb Evga supernova G2 850w Case Bequiet series 800 Silent base Win 10 pro 64 bit

My wishlist: F-35/B-17G/F4U Corsair/Yak-3/P-40B Tomahawk

Kinda depends on how (well) Heatblur model the avionics.

RIOs were as much magicians as they were technicians when it came to the care and feeding of the radar. If they really nail the quirks of late 60's / early 70's technology, it could be very rewarding to work towards becoming an accomplished RIO. Provided you team up with a competent Pilot (keyword being "team") then RIO could be a gas.

But of course to have this bird in your virtual hangar means you must go "Maverick" at least once in a while!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Joining the military is easy enough. Being accepted to be a fighter pilot is really hard. You need the right genes besides just wanting it.

No it's not. My eyesight was so bad I was rejected by every service. And I'm not even legally blind and otherwise an incredibly healthy individual.

And the right timing, apply when pilots are in short supply guys with Coke bottle glasses get radiator wings. Apply when there are plenty, oh you have the wrong degree, no one wants to be an engineer, so that history major has your pilot slot, enjoy your life in acquisitions...

Happened to me, but now that I'm old and have a kid and glad I'm writing this under the same roof as the kid rather than some tent over in the sandbox getting ready to spend 8 hours the next day boring holes in the air hoping someone asks me to drop a JDAM.

I agree. The reality of being a fighter pilot today is such that "the show" isn't much of a show. That's the case, even though our pilots are dropping more ordnance in Iraq and Syria than they did in Afghanistan and Iraq during the 2000s after the respective invasions of each country.

No it's not. My eyesight was so bad I was rejected by every service. And I'm not even legally blind and otherwise an incredibly healthy individual.

Should I have said easy enough if your a normal 20 year old? That still won't get you to be a fighter pilot.

No matter what is said someone will say it's wrong.

Buzz

Should I have said easy enough if your a normal 20 year old? That still won't get you to be a fighter pilot.

No matter what is said someone will say it's wrong.

Not trying to nitpick, but there's lots of "normal" people unable to join. The military has a book full of disqualifying conditions, including for the most mundane of things.