Combat Comms

TechRoss

Hi Guys

I am very new to combat flight sims and loving building some missions. I am trying to polish my comms (no voice over yet) and had a few questions.

Who or what is the primary contact for a combat flight when airborne? Would it be AWACS or is it / can it be some other command.

If a enemy fighter was contacted, would this be by the AWACS or some other contact.

From what I can make out, if the pilot (me / player) was to try contact a enemy fighter it would be on some guard channel or something like that.

Thanks for the input. I want to try and make my missions as realistic as possible.

The short answer is that it depends on the mission. If it's an air intercept mission, it'll be under control of either AWACS or some ground control intercept entity (GCI). A strike mission would be under the control of the Strike Lead, which would probably be the AWACS.

You're correct that there are international guard frequencies (121.5 FM and 243.0 AM) that you'd transmit on, "in the blind", meaning, "not knowing if the person you want to talk to is listening".

That would not be the intercept aircraft, but the control agency (AWACS or GCI) making the call to an opposing contact. It's actually a series of calls, with each one sounding more serious. If I remember correctly, the calls sound something like this:

LEVEL I: "Unidentified aircraft at latitude yada yada, longitude yada yada, altitude XX thousand, heading XXX, speed XXX, please respond."

LEVEL II: "Unidentified aircraft at latitude yada yada, longitude yada yada, altitude XX thousand, heading XXX, speed XXX, you are standing into danger. Turn right/left to new heading XXX and stand by for further instructions. Respond on this frequency."

LEVEL III: "Unidentified aircraft at latitude yada yada, longitude yada yada, altitude XX thousand, heading XXX, speed XXX, you are standing into danger and will be taken under fire. Turn right/left NOW to new heading XXX and stand by for further instructions. Respond on this frequency."

Edited by Yoda967

Very Respectfully,

Kurt "Yoda" Kalbfleisch

London

"In my private manual I firmly believed the only time there was too much fuel aboard any aircraft was if it was fire." --Ernest K. Gann