Samsung Odyssey VR Headset Revealed with “Anti-SDE” Display

rjetster1

Sounds a bit fuzzy to me ....

I can get a similar effect with my Rift by removing my prescription lens inserts.

Edited by Lensman

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB

CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.

EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 Elite.

16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.

SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive.

SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.

Windows 10 Professional

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

it may be on the site but shows no retailers when you click on were to buy

Edited by RePhil

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

It's available now in the US for $499 but I'm not sure what the difference would be for me compared the the original Odyssey. I have both the rift and the Odyssey and would hate to have 3 headsets, running out of room to store crap.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I'm interested....

Tried the original odyssey and loved the screens, but couldn't get the sweet-spot adjusted. The "improved comfort" appeals to me and gives me hope that I might be able to get it better adjusted. The original screens were miles ahead of the rift, but with anti SDE screens this could be a huge improvement!

anxiously awaiting this. I think I'll order!

I never really even notice the SDE in my Rift, guess cause I am always focused out beyond it.

Higher resolution though would be nice, just not sure how that "perceived" higher resolution will work out in the real world.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I bet they want to clear their inventory before we all put ours up for sale on EBay to fund the new one. Dastardly bastards.

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

I bet they want to clear their inventory before we all put ours up for sale on EBay to fund the new one. Dastardly bastards.

I bet you're right! I've been hitting refresh and even though press release says available yesterday they are nowhere to be found.

A no SDE headset it's all i was waiting for, i don't care about fov, we're wearing our helmets while flying after all, but SDE it's something i find totally immersion bracking even if i deeply love my old dear oculus rift CV1, for sure this time i'll focus on a real upgrade

Edited by Simon1279

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I7 8700K @ 4.9 ghz, SSD 850 evo, MSI Z370 Gaming Pro, GTX 1080Ti, F/A-18C in the garage, F-16C in the backyard, F-14B in the garden

No SDE will be nice (although I have to admit it was greatly reduced with the original Odyssey). I'm more looking forward to the "improved comfort" and hoping that it will be easier to adjust to find the sweet spot. I had to return my original Odyssey because i couldn't get it to stay in the sweet spot. Hoping the ergonomics on gen 2 are better!

No SDE will be nice (although I have to admit it was greatly reduced with the original Odyssey). I'm more looking forward to the "improved comfort" and hoping that it will be easier to adjust to find the sweet spot. I had to return my original Odyssey because i couldn't get it to stay in the sweet spot. Hoping the ergonomics on gen 2 are better!
I would only get one if I could trade in my original Odyssey. Screen resolution is the same in the end. It's like oh we screwed up on the comfort part so let's make them pay for it again by adding something else to it too. It does squeeze my nose quite a but but doesn't have issues staying on my head.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

A trade up program would be cool but probably won’t happen. This upgrade will keep the Odyssey on top. People want a simple to use plug and play device which the Odyssey is. I thought I read that the controller tracking area was expanded as well. If so, even the Pimax with its greater FOV may be a hard sell.

I wonder if they will have the headset available by itself for a reduced price.

Edited by Thick8

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

returned original odyssey...Couldn't find and keep sweet spot adjusted and had poor luck with WMR motion re projection. Sounds like they've tweaked the WMR re projection and this version of the headset has some comfort adjustments. just ordered this one. Ships week of 2 Nov. Will post back my results here if anyone cares.

If this one doesn't work for me I guess I'll bite the bullet and go with the Vive Pro :)

I never really even notice the SDE in my Rift, guess cause I am always focused out beyond it.

Higher resolution though would be nice, just not sure how that "perceived" higher resolution will work out in the real world.

Agree, I don't notice it either. I'd have to stop "doing what I'm doing", and look for it, to even "notice" it's there.

i5 11600k 4.9ghz, 64gb 3600, 3070ti, multiple ssd/nvme, Rift S, TM Warthog / Throttle, Saitek Pedals, Nevada, Normandy, Syria, A10C/2, KA-50 3, P51D, L39, Huey, WW2 Assets, VaicomPro

Agree, I don't notice it either. I'd have to stop "doing what I'm doing", and look for it, to even "notice" it's there.

I'm kinda in that camp too... I really don't notice it at this point.

Like all, I anxiously await the next leap coming for VR.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Odyssey+ is available online at Samsung now. Placed my order today. They are backlogged until the week of November 4th. Thats at least what my confirmation email says.

Will do a quick review once I get my hands on it. Running a rift right now.

:thumbup:

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Don B

I could have sworn I saw higher resolution on the Odyssey+ announcements. But now it says it's the same resolution with "anti-SDE" displays. Was i dreaming?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I could have sworn I saw higher resolution on the Odyssey+ announcements. But now it says it's the same resolution with "anti-SDE" displays. Was i dreaming?
Some of the articles that first came out said something like that.. resolution, comfort and sde improvements but it's actually the same resolution. Since there isn't an oculus 2.0 coming they figured it's safe to put out there to sell for now.

Some of the articles that first came out said something like that.. resolution, comfort and sde improvements but it's actually the same resolution. Since there isn't an oculus 2.0 coming they figured it's safe to put out there to sell for now.

That's a bummer.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Maybe with the new stuff coming and now Odyssey+, Oculus might get a little kick in the pants if they start losing some PC-VR market share and get off their duffs on next gen Rift.

One can hope...

Don B