ALERT!

tusler

The October issue of Combat Aircraft magazine has started a series of articles on the F-14 beginning with the A model and it iis very informative. In fact if they have accurately (which I'm sure they have) programmed the flight dynamics we are going to seriously have our hands full according to this article on how the Tomcat behaves on approach with float issues and TF-30 under powered and slow to spool up issues....I can't wait :thumbup:

https://combataircraft.keypublishing.com/the-magazine/view-issue/?issueID=7572

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

Ya, Alpha was pretty scary at times from what I was told. Fellow AD's that were 14b mechs and that had also worked on alphas told me how bad the TF30s were.

And you can hear from an actual well known Navy pilot that talks about the alpha. He seemed(at least to, me) like that was his least "favorite" plane to fly.

__

Edited by walleye62

nah, the 404 spools up pretty fast and definitely faster than the tf30. It's the same engine that was in the A7, Mirage 3, F111s and so on (w/ an afterburner attached to it.) it was already old going into the 14. And when your turbine blades disintegrate you will drop like a rock.

Also, I don't ever recall an 18 dropping like a rock(alphas or charlies) when I was in. 404s were pretty reliable. I think I recall some 18Ds crashing a few years after I got out but I don't recall any18A or Cs crashing. I am sure some did but I think very few. I know a bunch of 14As took at dirt nap with the TF30

Edited by walleye62

In the article they were saying how the f-14 would float on final and so the pilot had to cut the engines back more to get it down but if he missed the approach it took a long time for them to spool up. he also wrote about it not wanting to hold a course or attitude, he made it sound like the pilots were working up a sweat the whole approach sounds like it will be a lot of fun landing on the boat in DCS..

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

In the article they were saying how the f-14 would float on final and so the pilot had to cut the engines back more to get it down but if he missed the approach it took a long time for them to spool up. he also wrote about it not wanting to hold a course or attitude, he made it sound like the pilots were working up a sweat the whole approach sounds like it will be a lot of fun landing on the boat in DCS..

Ya, you could always hear the 14s whining when they were coming in. The pitch(sound) went up and down a lot while they were the groove. So ya, I think they were really working those throttles. The only thing louder was the J52's on an A6. But none of them had the whine of the 14. Good magazine by the way! :thumbup:

So basically the F-14 AFCS was the last pilot's plane.

haha, YA! But once they got the bravos with the 110s and DFCS I think it was a huge improvement, flying wise that is. Maintenance on the 14 (all versions)was a WHOLE different story...:thumbdown:

I'm talking about DCS.

That's fine, but I think we were all talking about real life stuff and the article, which is the topic.

Edited by walleye62