Force Feedback Support?

DefaultFace

honestly I love the idea of ffb but are the sticks using it actually any good? the ones ive seen (ms sidewinders) are all really old and partly dont work and the ffb kept shutting off and kicking back in making it near unusable. I know why we havnt seen more of them but the sticks seem to be a poor choice for most dcs things where you kinda need/should have those extra buttons/hats.

personally its a good idea but hard to find a GOOD working stick worth getting and using over my warthog. I did buy a yoke for my civil sims that works well when it wants to but most of the stuff I fly arnt compatible with the software or I have to change control setups in various aircraft to make it work so I usually dont bother using it.

point being I understand the frustration of not having supported ffb but the gains typically arnt worth the effort or limitations that come with it. so I am curious what sticks you find that are actually good for this.

Im using the MSFFB2. No idea what date it was made, but it works perfectly. Honestly this is the first stick I've used where I don't have to set curves to fly.

I've done AAR in it, and I've even tamed the extremely pitch sensitive DCS Spitfire and the "untamable" Bf109 in it and all the DCS modules that support it are simply a joy to fly with. (Most do support it)

Yes it does have limitations, most notably the lack of buttons and a second HAT switch but I've learned to adapt to them. Honestly in the F14, where you don't need as many HOTAS switches (all the radar work is done by the RIO or Jester) they're not really limitations at all.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im using the MSFFB2.

Oh man... I used to have a MSFFBP2 and you just made me miss it. It died some years back when the optical sensor finally gave out. Probably could have fixed it, but instead I wound up ponying up for a TM Warthog.

FFB2 here as well and what the others said already. Working since 2003. Rudder twist axis broke after a few months, but that's what rudder pedals are for (and the reason why I bought some in the first place). But now I'll be missing the opportunity to use that axis for DLC... regarding hats, modifiers are the key twilightsmile.png

I've got a WH that's collecting dust (well, not really since I covered it) in the cupboard since I just can't get used to it, I tried it several times... rdlaugh.png

Might change if someone's (i.e. VKB) gonna make an FFB base though rainbowdashwink.png

Giving up FFB is like going back to hat switch from TIR twi-notbad.png

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

and the ffb kept shutting off and kicking back in making it near unusable."

nope, not true.

MSFFB2 is strong and reliable material and conception.

FFB effects stop only if your fingers are not any more behind optical detectors

for best beloved sim on the market, most accurate detailled aircraft system and aircrafts modelisation . and best flight model in general, FFB is a must, no matter how many we still are to use it.

should be on priority list. IMO

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

- MS FFB2 Joystick  - COUGAR F16 throttle  - Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals

I put a bit of tape over that sensor ages ago. Best mod I've done ever :music_whistling:

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

nope, not true.

MSFFB2 is strong and reliable material and conception.

for best beloved sim on the market, most accurate detailled aircraft system and aircrafts modelisation . and best flight model in general, FFB is a must, no matter how many we still are to use it.

should be on priority list. IMO

well it is true since thats what happened. cant really tell me it didnt when you werent there. hand on the stick apply gentle pressure and it stopped giving ffb so stick just slams to the stop with nothing to resist it. making my poor helo pitch over to the dirt instead of slowly moving forward like I wanted. happened several times and I eventually gave up

IIRC the mods to open it up and bypass the sensor aren't that difficult. There really isnt a better stick for flying warbirds out there so its worth it if thats the only thing stopping yours from working.

I guess well see when the tomcat comes out... The way it sounds with the FM FFB would be nice to have in a dogfight, but for formation stuff and Hotas reasons WH might still be better. Or you have to make one of those franken-sidewinders with a Cougar stick and the FFB base... But Im starting to run out of USB ports already... :)

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

The F14 sounds like a prime candidate for FFB implementation. I'm on the fence but that would be a thing that I think would tip me over into buying the module, given how most of its uses are either for aged aircraft (it makes a night-and-day difference when I fly the BF109, from forcibly trying to not exaggerate movements to not doing so because the forces themselves makes it feel natural as hell), non-existent on FBW ones, or used in helis (and not even working for some of those either *grrmblrgazelle*).

Edited by Sephyrius

The F14 sounds like a prime candidate for FFB implementation. I'm on the fence but that would be a thing that I think would tip me over into buying the module, given how most of its uses are either for aged aircraft (it makes a night-and-day difference when I fly the BF109, from forcibly trying to not exaggerate movements to not doing so because the forces themselves makes it feel natural as hell), non-existent on FBW ones, or used in helis (and not even working for some of those either *grrmblrgazelle*).

While the linkages are hydraulic in the F14 (I think, could be wrong about that) you still get feedback in the real Tomcat through a bob-weight system that basically "pushes" back on the stick based on the ammount of G's you are pulling. So yeah, Heatblur could realistically only simulate a fraction of the forces a real pilot would experience in a real Tomcat but that's still enough to provide great feedback cues.

While the linkages are hydraulic in the F14 (I think, could be wrong about that) you still get feedback in the real Tomcat through a bob-weight system that basically "pushes" back on the stick based on the ammount of G's you are pulling. So yeah, Heatblur could realistically only simulate a fraction of the forces a real pilot would experience in a real Tomcat but that's still enough to provide great feedback cues.

Yes, non-reversible hydraulic controls. Feedback comes from centring springs, bob-weights, and also eddy current dampers. So plenty of interesting forces to model if they so wished.

Well, I just flew the Tomcat and there was zero force feedback present. The stick felt dead in my hand and my immersion bottomed out as a result :(

PC HW: i5 3770k@4.6GHz | Asus 1080Ti | 16GB DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO | MSI MPower Z77 Input: MS FFB2 w/ F-16 FLCS grip | CH Pro Throttle | MFG Crosswind | HTC Vive DCS modules: F-14, FW-190, P-51, Bf109, UH1, Mi-8, FC3, CE2

+1

FFB shoud be a priority implementation. but unfortunetly it was stated somewhere it is NOT (yet) in priority list.

have to be patient.

i7-10700KF CPU  3.80GHz - 32 GO Ram - - nVidia RTX 2070 -  SSD Samsung EVO with LG  TV screen 40"  in 3840x2150 -  cockpit scale 1:1

well it is true since thats what happened. cant really tell me it didnt when you werent there. hand on the stick apply gentle pressure and it stopped giving ffb so stick just slams to the stop with nothing to resist it. making my poor helo pitch over to the dirt instead of slowly moving forward like I wanted. happened several times and I eventually gave up

ok so you have an issue with yours .

time to repair this unvaluable MSFFB2 to a new fresh factory life

unscrew & repair, (it's definitly not a major common MSFFB2 issue). maybe some dirt inside or a bad electric contact to repair somewhere.

good luck for your investigation.

I use a duel shock controller with my left hand for the extra buttons and the analog sticks to move the cursors for sensors. So I don't miss the extra buttons of a WH.

Buttons are no comparison to feeling the FM in your stick hand.

Good to hear at least one of the Devs has a MS FFB SW 2 but is that what he normally uses or does he have it in the cupboard?

Most guys who use them are fanatics who will have no interest in flying with a spring stick . i know I certainly have no interest in flying with out FFB.

i really hope, they stand true to their commitment also with ffb, and set the bar to heatblur standards, which really is a different league not only compared to the other 3rd party devs, but also to ED. pretty please make the FFB heatblur(yes i used it as an adjective)

Yeah that's *exactly* the feeling that I'm looking forward to.

If they manage to also work in other effects of the aircraft's flight characteristics (must...have...jet wash....) it'd be nothing short of amazing.

FFB support will be added in a coming build :)

Awesome! The F14 will be an instant buy for me the moment it's implemented. Just knowing that it's coming is enough for me, but I'm not sure if I want to "taint" the experience by flying it without FFB from the get-go.

Yeah that's *exactly* the feeling that I'm looking forward to.

If they manage to also work in other effects of the aircraft's flight characteristics (must...have...jet wash....) it'd be nothing short of amazing.

Awesome! The F14 will be an instant buy for me the moment it's implemented. Just knowing that it's coming is enough for me, but I'm not sure if I want to "taint" the experience by flying it without FFB from the get-go.

im a sidewinder user here as well...and having proper ffb implementation in this bird would be nothing short of amazing. but even now, with simffb.exe, that just has a spring centering effect, the F-14 is already awesome. dont hesitate, its already worth it.

Hello I would like to add my name to the list of people very much looking forward to the implementation of FF for the F-14B as I too have a MSFF2. Its a must for me TBO. Thanks

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED

Well that was quick, FF is working awesome! :)

Meshify C w Noctua Fans, MSI Carbon Z790, 13900KS, 64gb 7200 Gskill, MSI 4090, MSI 240, Sam 1tb m2, Sam 512 m2, Seasonic 1000w, MSFF2 Stick + X56 Throttle, HP Reverb G2, Sony 83in A90J OLED