Is Facebook backing away from Oculus 2?

dooom

Glad I ordered the PIMAX!

I wouldn't be so sure before really trying it.

Oculus rift came with a full set of camera,rift, remote and xbox controller, was tested for 2 years by DK owners on any kind of software. Worked reliably for me for 2 years already for the price of 450 euro.

This pimax still looks like a joke to me, shitty website, no tracking station, no controllers, questionable product, tested and shown only on pre-prepared events, on specific software and systems only. God knows how reliable the product will be and how good the support in case of issues will be. The whole story around it looks so unprofessional that I expect a lot of issues and surprises. I really hope I am wrong, as I desperately want a new headset with better FOV and I will buy Pimax it it proves me wrong. But I would not pre-order it with this limited testing/information they have provided so far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah I am watching carefully, certainly I would not be interested in investing in one just yet with such limited info available so far.

Any word from them now on when all the backers are going to actually have a consumer ready device in their hands?

That is what I am interested in, reports from everyday gamers like ourselves on a device that will be shipping.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Oculus still has the largest VR hardware, and software development teams, with a number of new VR hardware features in development for the Rift2. Nobody knows for sure how many of these hardware features will be incorporated in the Rift2. Anything can happen, but betting against FB and its huge VR team, isn't a good bet.

Oculus still has the largest VR hardware, and software development teams, with a number of new VR hardware features in development for the Rift2. Nobody knows for sure how many of these hardware features will be incorporated in the Rift2. Anything can happen, but betting against FB and its huge VR team, isn't a good bet.

:thumbup:

I'm counting on them!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I actually prefer physically interactive games. I would much rather play a shooter in a VR room where I can stand up, kneel, lay down and aim without using any buttons. The idea of special treadmills that allow 360 degree walking is cool, too. My main beef with current VR is the major downgrade in resolution and graphics quality required to support stereo 3d and wide FOV. If VR supported enough resolution to match the display quality I get from my 46-inch 1080p TV sitting 2.5-3 ft from my face, I would use it almost 100% of the time. Instead, I am about a 50/50 split between using my TV/TrackIR and Oculus Rift.

The problem is we don’t yet have the processing grunt required to produce these ultra high resolutions in VR and when we do people will moan that VR res isn’t as good as their 24k monitor. People are stupid.

Oculus to release a cut down Rift gen 2 with better resolution. Most important thing I can be intuitively optimistic about from the whole copy is that Iribe may well set up his own company to further develop high end VR.

Seems that someone at a high level in FB is panicking over losing market share to Pimax ect and rushing out a modest upgrade at the expense of the Rift 2.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-canceling-rift-2-overhaul-oculus-plans-a-modest-update-to-flagship-vr-headset/?guccounter=1

Edited by Tinkickef

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

Oculus to release a cut down Rift gen 2 with better resolution. Most important thing I can be intuitively optimistic about from the whole copy is that Iribe may well set up his own company to further develop high end VR.

Seems that someone at a high level in FB is panicking over losing market share to Pimax ect and rushing out a modest upgrade at the expense of the Rift 2.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-canceling-rift-2-overhaul-oculus-plans-a-modest-update-to-flagship-vr-headset/?guccounter=1

TechCrunch seems to apparently continue to have some insider information on what Oculus plans are...

I don't doubt that they may be considering releasing an incremental upgrade to Rift sooner, with competition being what it is and all. But not all that sure of this

cancellation reporting of their original plans for a second gen Rift. Seems to me Oculus has invested a lot already into some of the new tech ( Half Dome ).

The truth is probably there somewhere in between.

Don B

Well, people, I'm still staggered by the amount of folks who believe everything they read on the internet - even by amateur websites (I like to call them e-tabloids) who are just desparate for more clicks and more advertising/sponsor revenue.

The way I see it is this:

I bought Rift on release. I'm very happy with it - it's a million times better than the VR we had before it (!).

Maybe some day (hopefully whilst I'm still not too old to be able to enjoy it) there might be an even better version of it, and if it's not too expensive, I'll buy and enjoy one of those, too.

In the meatime, I'm going to really enjoy what I have in my hands and on my face.

The rest is unimportant.

Have a nice day.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2