Looking for cluster bombs tutorial videos

Goa

hi guys,

There are many youtube tutorial out there for mk82/84/83 bombs but I cant find any reliable and updated video tutorial with regards to cluster bombs which includes the latest update we got for the loved Hornet.

Please to hear :thumbup::thumbup:

May I ask Matt to do some new updated tutorial for bombs and cluster bombs?

Thank you guys!:thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Currently, burst height can be programmed, but is not implemented. The only improvement was the damage of the bomblets actually being able to kill armored units. Prior to the CBU update, they were just air-burst-feather-dusters.

Wags has done 2 videos that highlight CBU functionality.

Currently, burst height can be programmed, but is not implemented. The only improvement was the damage of the bomblets actually being able to kill armored units. Prior to the CBU update, they were just air-burst-feather-dusters.

Wags has done 2 videos that highlight CBU functionality.

Not quite. The way it works now is fully implemented systems wise in the hornet. What is missing is the ability to change the bombs burst height in the ME. Burst height is hard set on the ground by the ordies. The pilot has no ability to change the height of burst on mk20s/cbu99s, the pilot changes the burst height for the bomb on the stores page to match what the setting on the bomb is so that the computer can accurately calculate an impact point. If the burst height set on the bomb is different than what the computer expects it to be the bomblet pattern will go long/short.

This is why we need to set the bombs to 1500' in the stores page to get accurate drops, the CBUs are currently hard set to 1500' burst height.

Edited by gekoiq

The procedure for employing them isn't all that different from the iron bombs.

Set the fuze to primary, mode to CCIP, drop them in a dive and all's going to be good.

Also, fun thing: prior to said update the Mk-20 seemed not to work on the Hornet but I got them to reliably destroy T-72Bs from a Harrier. Now they work on the Hornet but seem to do nothing when dropped from the AV-8. Do bombs in DCS retain memory of where they come from?

Do bombs in DCS retain memory of where they come from?

No, but it's possible that Harrier and Hornet are using different Mk-20s :)

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

Well in the Harrier Mk-20s are declared as:

{ CLSID = "{ADD3FAE1-EBF6-4EF9-8EFC-B36B5DDF1E6B}", arg_value = 0.20, attach_point_position = { -0.000, -0.19, 0.0} }, -- MK-20 Rockeye

{ CLSID = "{BRU-42_2*MK-20_RIGHT}" }, -- MK-20 x 2

Elements = bru_42_ls_2("ROCKEYE",true),

{ CLSID = "{B83CB620-5BBE-4BEA-910C-EB605A327EF9}" }, -- MK-20 x 3

On the Hornet, it's

{ CLSID = "{ADD3FAE1-EBF6-4EF9-8EFC-B36B5DDF1E6B}" }, -- MK-20

{ CLSID = "{BRU33_2X_ROCKEYE}" }, -- BRU-33 2*Mk-20

Couldn't find where the multis lead to, but the single ones have exactly the same CLSID - so they're definately the same bombs on both planes. Interestingly though the Harrier's 3x racks have an old style CLSID. The readable ones are the newer ones. But that most probably just tells us that the Harrier makes use of a TER that has been in DCS a long time before the Harrier itself.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Not quite. The way it works now is fully implemented systems wise in the hornet. What is missing is the ability to change the bombs burst height in the ME. Burst height is hard set on the ground by the ordies. The pilot has no ability to change the height of burst on mk20s/cbu99s, the pilot changes the burst height for the bomb on the stores page to match what the setting on the bomb is so that the computer can accurately calculate an impact point. If the burst height set on the bomb is different than what the computer expects it to be the bomblet pattern will go long/short.

This is why we need to set the bombs to 1500' in the stores page to get accurate drops, the CBUs are currently hard set to 1500' burst height.

Thanks for that clarification, awesomely useful!

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Fair point, good to know :thumbup:

AMD R7 5800X3D | Aorus B550 Pro | 32GB DDR4-3600 | RTX 4080 | VKB MGC Pro Gunfighter Mk III + Thustmaster TWCS + VKB T-Rudder Mk4 | HP Reverb G2

FC3 | A-10C II | Ка-50 | P-51 | UH-1 | Ми-8 | F-86F | МиГ-21 | FW-190 | МиГ-15 | Л-39 | Bf 109 | M-2000C | F-5 | Spitfire | AJS-37 | AV-8B | F/A-18C | Як-52 | F-14 | F-16 | Ми-24 | AH-64

NTTR | Normandy | Gulf | Syria | Supercarrier |

so basically in order to have an accurate hit the only option we have is setting the HT to 1500 right?

Then I am wondering why do we have option of 300,500,800,1500,2000 ft in the store page??

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

so basically in order to have an accurate hit the only option we have is setting the HT to 1500 right?

Then I am wondering why do we have option of 300,500,800,1500,2000 ft in the store page??

Yes - it's because eventually ED will add in the ability to change the dispersal height on the bomb (hopefully through the kneeboard or loadout picker), and then we'll need to change it on the DDI to match. Right now they're always set to 1500, so we need to set the DDI to 1500 to match in order for the computer to work out the right aiming point.

[CLSID magic here]

On the Hornet, it's

Couldn't find where the multis lead to, but the single ones have exactly the same CLSID - so they're definately the same bombs on both planes.

Thank you very much. I wouldn't have known where to start sifting through the magic bits there.