Flaming Cliffs.....but for WW2

Lixma 06

Flaming Cliffs (soon to be MAC) has offered an inexpensive and attractive entry-point for DCS World - it gives you lots of different aircraft to fly and importantly they cover both air-to-air and ground attack roles. On top of that they are sufficiently well-modeled they can integrate with the higher fidelity, and more expensive, DCS modules.

The WW2 plane-set currently stands at four high fidelity fighters and one period specific map. Not only is that an expensive proposition it's very limited in scope. There's no dedicated ground attack aircraft, no bombers. Basically there's not much to do, and I suspect this is big factor as to why the WW2 side of DCS hasn't gained much traction, especially online. The Battle of X series is obviously another reason (possibly the biggest) in retarding DCS's WW2 presence - and I would put that down to the low cost of entry, variety of roles, and variety of maps to fly on (plus other stuff).

Yes, there are more WW2 modules planned (P-47, FW, Mossy) but the progress is glacial, and while I'm looking forward to these aircraft I'm not convinced that beyond the initial enthusiasm will 'get the ball rolling'. I'd be more than happy to be proved wrong, though.

So why not this - A package of six/eight WW2 aircraft, varying roles, preferably types with a long service history to minimize out-of-place substitutes, modeled with the same reduced (but viable) systems functionality as the current FC plane-set, and throw in Normandy while you're at it. This should fill in many gaps, generate much more variety in mission roles, drawing in the ground-pounders particularly, and would appeal to those looking for a more fleshed-out DCS WW2 experience minus the comparatively large investment of individual WW2 modules.

Call it 'NotsoMAC' :)

This has already been confimed as either and aspiratoin or an actual work in progress by Matt Wagner.

It'll take me a while to find the announcement though.

Edit; Nick Grey suggests 8 to 12 WW2 aircraft in a "Flying Legends pack with 8 -12 aircraft …. ?"

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=207133

I Am unsure if these would be FC type or not.

Edited by philstyle

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/philstylenz

Storm of War WW2 server website: https://stormofwar.net/

This is indeed a great idea. I'm not a ww2 guy, more of modern system type of simmer, even so, I was right now thinking about buying IL2 battle of X cause of the big discount they have now. I am sure that like me there are a lot more guys who although no ww2 lovers they'd very much like to play historical scenarios once in a while nad have some MP dogfighting fun. DCS ww2 ecosystem right now is barren.

Although I understand where you are coming from, I personally would not be interested in such a FC style pack if there was one even though I like WW2 warbirds. But I could realistically see there being a 2-4 max intro warbird pack with no map.

The pricing should not be an issue if people are just patient enough to wait for the next sale. I have yet to pay full price for any of the modules and maps I have. I don't currently own WW2 birds but when the P-47 is released I will be buying it for sure and on a sale.

The warbirds are already VERY simple systems wise, as they don't have the complex avionics of modern fighter jets, which is why I don't really see any need for FC variants of them.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On the other hand, a high performance piston engine, boosted and turbocharged is quite a challenge. It isn't for company that multi-engined planes of that era kept an engineer in the cockpit to monitor all the oil pressures and finesse the engines.

I5 9600KF, 32GB, 3080ti, G2, PointCTRL

The warbirds are already VERY simple systems wise, as they don't have the complex avionics of modern fighter jets, which is why I don't really see any need for FC variants of them.

Mmmm not exactly true, the engine management could be an art on its own. True is not complex regarding number of switches and buttons etc... but requires a learning curve.

Although I understand where you are coming from, I personally would not be interested in such a FC style pack if there was one even though I like WW2 warbirds. But I could realistically see there being a 2-4 max intro warbird pack with no map.

The pricing should not be an issue if people are just patient enough to wait for the next sale. I have yet to pay full price for any of the modules and maps I have. I don't currently own WW2 birds but when the P-47 is released I will be buying it for sure and on a sale.

What I think would be the best idea would be a full pack game where you have 2/3 iconic warbirds somehow simplified, but most important, it includes a pletora of AI units and ground vehicles along with a mission generator and a campaign.

As i said the worst part of DCS when it comes to WWII is not the lack of planes; we already have 4 all time favorites and more to come, its rather the lack of a "game or ecosystem" behind:

-Almost no contemporary air, sea and ground units, at least not enough for a rich environment

- No historical dynamic campaign that track your progress and put you in the skin of WW2 pilot

-Almost no historical campaigns to bear the lack of DC

-No WW2 style mission generator (Something that creates at least large formations of german bombers and let you defend England, or Day-D style CAS support, etc...)

All those takes time, but having an incredible simulator engine like DCS, a full game addressing those points could be sold at 70$ without a problem, and we would start seeing a lot of MP server playing WW2, people that currently goes to IL2 as their only alternative. Having simplified aircraft in there would only help reducing the development time.