Recommend a good headset for DCS please...

I am thinking of replacing my 'rather old' Turtle Beech X41 headset only because I'm growing tired of the intermittent (but very annoying) popping which seems to be caused by wifi interference.

I am looking for a headset exclusively for DCS which not only sounds good but also has a descent quality microphone suitable for use with VAICOM voice recognition.

Not sure whether to go 'wired' this time to avoid any similar interference issues?

Maybe (years later) this is no longer an issue?

No particular budget - out of touch with what something like this will cost but I do subscribe to the old saying that 'you get what you pay for'... that said, sometimes advances in technology don't always reflect higher prices...

Welcoming suggestions and recommendations - I'm all ears!

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

I use Vaicom . I find the Razor headset comfortable , good sound & no probs with voice recognition . It mounts my tracklip pro as well .

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

A good wired option is to use normal headphones that you like (good for music and comfortable as well as good for gaming) and get a Modmic from Antlion Audio to attach to the side.

https://antlionaudio.com

The Modmic attaches to almost any headphone set using a magnetic doc that you attach to your headphones and has sound quality that equals most prosumer studio mics (you can use it for Youtube videos and sound as good as the pros). They have noise canceling or onmidirectional capabilities, and work with your computer's mic input, or they sell a kit with a USB adapter and different wiring options.

An excellent and inexpensive ($100-$130) headphone is the AKG 240 MkII. They are as good or better than headphones sold for 3X as much. Fit over the hears which means hours of comfort. Comes with coiled or straight cords. Why so cheap? They have been sold to recording studios for decades where comfort, function, and audio quality are what matter, not snazzy marketing. The 240 MkII is an open ear cup - you can hear what is happening around you. AKG also sells closed cup headsets. You can buy the AKG 240 (not MkII) for about $70. Same setup and quality but without the detachable cord.

I would not suggest using a real aviation headset unless you are a real pilot. They are way over priced, often heavy and uncomfortable, but inferior regarding the kinds of things you care about for computer and gaming use. They are not designed to play music, and their mics have a narrow frequency range for voice comms over radio. Such compromises are not needed for gaming audio programs like Discord, Simple Radio, or Teamseak. FYI, aviation headsets are always closed cup (they block external sound). They are more like wearing ear protection at a job site. Hence why they are heavy and bulky.

You can buy aviation headsets with excellent audio quality for music (like the Bose sets for >> $1000), but why? If you aren't a pilot, you would be wasting your money. My aviation headset cost $800 new, but I have no desire to use them for gaming even if I didn't have to buy a $80 adapter.

Guys, thanks for the comments and suggestions so far especially Drakoz - appreciated - please keep them coming!

Agree I don't need to consider aviation grade - I'm only a real pilot whilst fast asleep... headset will only be used with the PC for DCS

I have been reading a few random headset reviews but their findings are so varied with no clear winner so far.

If I wanted to remain loyal to Turtle Beach, Elite Pro Tournament looks like a strong contender. They receive good reviews and I am quite taken in by the way their designers have considered people who (like myself) wear glasses.

That said, there are so many other headsets to consider at various price points so more research needed before pulling the trigger!

Anyone else also looking for a new headset may appreciate this article 'The Best PC Gaming Headsets 2018'

I would love to hear which headset people would pick from that list and why?

i7-5820K 3.30Ghz | Asus X99-S | Sapphire R290X | R7 240 | 16GB DDR4 PC4 2800MHz | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD (OS) | Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD (DCS) | Noctua NH-D14 2011 Cooler | OCZ ZT 750W '80 Plus Bronze' Modular PSU | NZXT Phantom Enthusiast | 3 x IIyama Prolite E2473HDS 24" | 1 x Dell S2240T 21.5" Touch Screen | Windows 10 64-Bit | AMD Eyefinity 5760 x 1080 | TrackIR5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind 1771 | Vaicom Pro + VA (Licensed) | Sennheiser Game Zero | Honeycomb Yoke (June 2020)]

I've been using a wireless Corsair Void 7.1 headset and find the sound quality and mic superior to the ASTRO A50 headset I have for console use. Friends who have used my headset on my PC have mentioned how comfortable it is and light. It has micro fibre breathable material on the ear pieces so long stints with them on don't get sweaty like the cheaper fake leather cups on other headsets. The section on the end of the headband that attach to the ear pieces and allow them to move and swivel are made of metal so durability shouldn't be a problem, I've had mine for about 2 years and not had any issues with the hardware or the software for the headset.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Color/void-pro-wireless-config-na/p/CA-9011152-NA

A good wired option is to use normal headphones that you like (good for music and comfortable as well as good for gaming) and get a Modmic from Antlion Audio to attach to the side.

https://antlionaudio.com

The Modmic attaches to almost any headphone set using a magnetic doc that you attach to your headphones and has sound quality that equals most prosumer studio mics (you can use it for Youtube videos and sound as good as the pros). They have noise canceling or onmidirectional capabilities, and work with your computer's mic input, or they sell a kit with a USB adapter and different wiring options.

An excellent and inexpensive ($100-$130) headphone is the AKG 240 MkII. They are as good or better than headphones sold for 3X as much. Fit over the hears which means hours of comfort. Comes with coiled or straight cords. Why so cheap? They have been sold to recording studios for decades where comfort, function, and audio quality are what matter, not snazzy marketing. The 240 MkII is an open ear cup - you can hear what is happening around you. AKG also sells closed cup headsets. You can buy the AKG 240 (not MkII) for about $70. Same setup and quality but without the detachable cord.

I would not suggest using a real aviation headset unless you are a real pilot. They are way over priced, often heavy and uncomfortable, but inferior regarding the kinds of things you care about for computer and gaming use. They are not designed to play music, and their mics have a narrow frequency range for voice comms over radio. Such compromises are not needed for gaming audio programs like Discord, Simple Radio, or Teamseak. FYI, aviation headsets are always closed cup (they block external sound). They are more like wearing ear protection at a job site. Hence why they are heavy and bulky.

You can buy aviation headsets with excellent audio quality for music (like the Bose sets for >> $1000), but why? If you aren't a pilot, you would be wasting your money. My aviation headset cost $800 new, but I have no desire to use them for gaming even if I didn't have to buy a $80 adapter.

A lot of what you say about aviation headsets is incorrect.

41le97wcr4L.jpg

$236 on Amazon.

Not closed cup. Not heavy. Infinitely more durable than even the most expensive gaming headset. Your comment about a narrow frequency range for voice comms is a bit baffling as the microphone is used for voice comm on any headset and aviation microphones are FAR superior to any retail gaming product.

Resale on aviation headsets is easy.

My last aviation headset is a David Clark Pro X. Active noise canceling. Extremely comfortable for long periods (12 hour legs in the Global Express) Bluetooth connectivity. I quit real world flying two years ago but my DC Pro X is used daily in my work vehicle. The noise canceling does a great job with road noise. The Bluetooth allow me handsfree phone and music access. The cables do get in the way. I wish DC made a non-aviation version without the cables.

Money is the big drawback to going this route. I had several Telex 750's hanging about (retired spares replaced with ANR Telex 850's) which is why I tried the experiment and found them far superior to any of the gaming products available.

EDsignaturefleet.jpg

My son has a Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum. They are wireless (he can walk around much of the house including down stairs and they still keep signal), can take two inputs (the wireless input and the wired input) at the same time, have programmable buttons on the side programmed using the same software used for all current Logitech gaming devices (mice, keyboards, etc.) and cost about $130. So you can program the buttons to do mute, volume, etc. or you can do PTT for Simpleradio Standalone (SRS) for all 3 major radios in a DCS aircraft. I haven't compared the audio quality, but they have tended to be highly rated. I mention this as an example of a full on gaming headset that I would probably buy if I didn't already have what I have. The Logitech isn't the best, but it has some nice features.

Regarding aviation headsets......

A lot of what you say about aviation headsets is incorrect.

$236 on Amazon.

Respectfully, most of what I said is very correct, but a lot of it depends on why people care.

I was talking about most aviation headsets, not all. Of course there are outliers. There are aviation headsets on Amazon for $85, but that doesn't mean you would want to fly with them for real, much the less use them for a flight sim or gaming. Telex isn't a crappy product. But even for $236, you can do a lot better for a reliable gaming headset, and I would not buy them for general aviation in a prop plane. No noise muffling - ear pieces are not cupped over the ear with heavy noise protection. They may work in a commercial jet, but not the aircraft I fly in. Plus that $236 still requires buying an $80 aviation set adapter for the PC. So my original comment still applies. Aviation headsets are over priced for what you get, and push below $200 for a real aviation headset, and you are starting to compromise quality.

Regarding the ear cup and bulk. I mentioned the cup as an FYI to people that may not know.... Aviation headsets tend to be bulky on purpose because they are acting as ear protection to cut cockpit noise. So they have excess bulk, and tend to be over the ear. Some will want that kind of sound isolation in their home cockpit, some will not. Over the ear is actually a good thing. For many (most?) people, anything that touches the ear's pinna will cause fatigue and pain on long flights. But don't consider an aviation headset because you think it will somehow be leaps and bounds better than anything else. They aren't. You are paying for FAA certification, liability, and a high level of support (most quality aviation headset makers will repair them decades later). Again, if you intend to fly real aircraft, go for it. Otherwise, there are less expensive options.

Another outlier is Clarity Aloft (https://www.clarityaloft.com). These are in the ear type headphones which clip over the ears to hold the mic and keep them stable. Very light, good sound isolation due to blocking the ear canal like earplugs. They are marketed as audiophile quality, but I haven't actually compared them yet. Several of my friends that fly aerobatics use them because of light weight and no bulk. But they aren't cheap (like $500-$800). There are inexpensive variations of this type on Amazon for the $200-$300 range.

It boils down to why people care. Most aviation headsets do not match what most people probably want in a gaming headset. For me, the headset should be excellent for music and movies as well as gaming, but I'm not willing to pay ridiculous prices just for a name. I also want a mic that is capable of flying in DCS as well as do high fidelity recordings for a Youtube video. As for the price, I don't see the value even if the aviation headset did match what I wanted. My AKG headphones are just as reliable as any aviation headset I have used. My first set, the AKG 240, lasted me 20 years and cost about $80. They still work 25 years later. My 2nd set (AKG 240 MkII, $130) is 7 years old, and still look and work like brand new. Add a Modmic 5 to that and for < $200 total, you have a set of headphones that nearly match the best headphones out there in audio quality, and includes a removable mic that can do both studio level recordings in onmidirection mode as well as noise canceling (like an aviation set) in unidirectional mode.

The key to this setup is the Modmic. Pick any good headphone set you like, but I strongly suggest you consider a Modmic.

Your comment about a narrow frequency range for voice comms is a bit baffling as the microphone is used for voice comm on any headset and aviation microphones are FAR superior to any retail gaming product.

Not sure why my comments where baffling. It is how they are designed - the mic and the radios.

You have to define "FAR superior" relative to why people care. In aviation, far superior means being best at getting the pilot's voice only while canceling extraneous noise. That requires a unidirectional narrow band (voice frequencies) microphone. Aviation headsets should be FAR superior in that regard. But that often makes them inferior for other purposes.

Also, in aviation, the radios only transmit a narrow audio spectrum (the range of typical speech). There is no emphasis on making aviation microphones work in a broad spectrum because doing so would not help the goal, and the radio would filter much of that broad spectrum out anyway. So I don't mean that all aviation headsets have a narrow spectrum. Some may be very broad. But I do mean, if you are designing something for aviation, it buys you nothing to use a broad spectrum mic, and in fact, it may even make your product worse.

But in gaming comms like Teamspeak or SRS, or talking on Skype or Discord, the software transmits full audio spectrum. There are no audio or radio spectrum bandwidth issues like with an aviation radio, and no issues with radio interference and distance from the airport. So why wouldn't we want full spectrum audio while talking to our friends. Well, the obvious answer is maybe you want to actually sound like you are on a radio in an aircraft. Again, it's a personal choice. You can enable a mode that does that in SRS. Given a choice, I'd prefer to speak in and listen to full spectrum audio. I'm not that much of a purist that I need to hear staticky compressed audio.

For the mic, in my case, I wanted a mic that worked well not only as a comms mic (which frankly just about any cheap gaming headset will do that), but also offered studio quality voice recording. My Modmic does that. The new Modmic 5 is even better. It has two microphones selectable by a switch. One is omnidirectional and broad spectrum. It won't cancel noise as well, but in a quite environment, it will provide the best sound quality. The unidirectioal mic is noise canceling - it is pointed at your mouth but by mechanical design, it does not pick up sound from other directions (e.g. the noise canceling is not active using electronics). The noise canceling mic sounds a little bit more tinny, but is better for voice comms. The omnidirectional mic is better for recording a Youtube video if you want that full spectrum sound that you would get from a studio mic.

The Modmic guys spent a lot of time understanding these compromises while trying to get a microphone that offered the best compromise for all uses. It was always a compromise. My Modmic is the omnidirectional one which means it picks up keyboard typing noise, or squeaks in my chair really well unfortunately. The Modmic they released after mine was the unidirectional mic which had lower overall quality, but less noise (you can only barely hear the keyboard or squeaky chair). That is why the Modmic 5 now has both uni and omni mics. They finally concluded that you can't get a single type of mic to do well for both situations. But the down side is the Modmic 5 is now $65 whereas I bought my original Modmic for < $40. They sell the Modmic 4 for about $40. It has only the unidirectional mic. They don't sell the one I bought anymore. You have to get the Modmic 5 if you want onmidirectional.

Again, there are compromises everywhere. Decide why you care, decide what you are willing to spend, and don't get crazy buying over marketed overpriced stuff you don't need.

@Drakoz,

Many thanks for providing such a comprehensive insight into headsets - something I never envisaged when posing the original question but nevertheless, very interesting and informative. My search for a shortlist continues....

@finch,

Thanks for your recommendation - just looked these up on amazon (mixed reviews) but other review sites appear to rate them quite highly and at a more realistic price too!

I have used logitech wireless in the past and got some background static. I found the possibility of walking away while still being able to listen to the game cool, but prefer a cable and not having to recharge yet another device. I use a rift and found the best headset for me is a audiotechnica ath-m50x with a creative soundblaster omni usb. It is very comfortable, isolates any room/fan noise and fits perfectly with the rift. Paid $104 on the headset 2 years ago and it still looks new. One thing I like is how the cable can be replaced and they send 3 different ones for your choice.

i wait the new Thrustmaster T Flight US Air Force :)

L'importante non è stabilire se uno ha paura o meno, è saper convivere con la propria paura e non farsi condizionare dalla stessa. Ecco, il coraggio è questo, altrimenti non è più coraggio ma incoscienza.

@Weasel

Thanks for telling me about these - no, not aware until you mentioned them but they look good for the money - available over here in the UK to pre-order on Amazon - due out 31/10/18 £89.99

Waiting to see what people have to say ... would have expected something like these to cost more?

Edited by slicker55

• 2 weeks later...

... a quick update and a thank you to all who entered into this debate

in the end decided to go with Sennheiser Game Zero and got a fair deal by buying direct from Sennheiser via their website

The headset cost £159 (inc VAT and shipping) but they are currently including a FREE headset hanger (£30.99) and a FREE mouse pad - various sizes available (£22.99 - £30.99)

Ordered on 5th Nov - delivered on 8th Nov

Amazing sound and good mic - both plugged straight into the onboard audio on my Asus X99S motherboard.

Initially, the mic didn't work properly but this was fixed by installing the latest Realtec HD audio drivers (available from Asus website)

Just want to mention some may have read this headset has to be used with an amplifier but the product I have purchased is branded GAME Zero (50 Ohm) not to be confused with an earlier version branded G4ME Zero (150 Ohm) which I believe may require additional amplification.

Edited by slicker55