How do I correctly run a fire test?

Moafuleum

Hi

I noticed that Betty says a diffenrent thing when the fire test routine is not done completely (meaning: holding down the switch until the whole thing is done) but just flicking the switch shortly and then continuing after a pause.

My observation: The first ENGINE FIRE LEFT, ENGINE FIRE LEFT is said correctly. After this, it stops because the switch was released. After pressing (and holding) the switch again, it continues with ENGINE RIGHT FIRE, ENGINE RIGHT FIRE (instead of ENGINE FIRE RIGHT ENGINE FIRE RIGHT). Then the routine continues until it is finished.

Thus, the ordering of the words is different.

I am aware that this is, if at all, an absolutely low priority bug :D But i was wondering why in just this situation, the wording is different.

I made a video for demonstration.

This word reordering is something I hear every time I do the fire test, regardless of the incompleteness.

I suspect this is because the word reordering makes them more audibly distinct, to ensure you notice that yes, it was the other engine she's bitching about now.

IOW that this makes sense to put in the real plane, so they did, and we're getting a faithful reproduction of it. (Including the original sounds, delivered from Boeing.)

@mahuja: I'm sorry, i don't get what you want to tell me. It is not about distinguishing the left engine from the right by having two different word orderings. As you can hear in the video, during the first test (which i did as it should be done) the order of the words are the same for both engines.

@walleye: I'm aware of this. I did this to show both cases to have a reference. The first one serves as the reference of a correct fire test, the second one showed the case of how not doing it. That Betty is reset by resetting the battery switch was intended in this case.

PS: @whoever renamed the thread: I am aware of the correct procedure, I discovered this while accidently doing it wrong. In the correct procedure (the first eun i did), Betty says ENFINE FIRE LEFT ENGINE FIRE LEFT, ENGINE FIRE RIGHT ENGINE FIRE RIGHT.

When doing it the wrong way, Betty says ENGINE FIRE LEFT ENGINE FIRE LEFT [then i "forced" the break by releasing the switch, and then continued] ENGINE RIGHT FIRE ENGINE RIGHT FIRE

All i want to say is that in the latter case, the words "FIRE" and "RIGHT" are exchanged, compared to the correct case

I'm not sure what the point of this thread is?

Initially i posted it into the bug section. It also had another title. I wanted to point out/ask, if there is a special purpose for a different word ordering when done incorrectly or if this is intended at all or a bug.

Now it looks like i don't know how to run a fire test correctly and like if i was talking weird things about Betty's wording. (The latter one may still be true however :D , again, it is just a detail but i am interested in the origin.)

I am also confused :dunno:

Initially i posted it into the bug section. It also had another title. I wanted to point out/ask, if there is a special purpose for a different word ordering when done incorrectly or if this is intended at all or a bug.

Now it looks like i don't know how to run a fire test correctly and like if i was talking weird things about Betty's wording. (The latter one may still be true however :D , again, it is just a detail but i am interested in the origin.)

I am also confused :dunno:

To tell you the truth I 'm not sure if the wording was incorrect or not. If my hand ever slipped off the switch or for any other reason I let go of it, I always reset the battery. I never tried to continue with the test (and I don't think you were supposed to). Though I can't remember if that was a natops procedure or in the maintenance manuals. So long ago. :unsure:

Edited by walleye62

@BuzzU: Yes it does. Yo can also see it in the video, i linked in the original post.

@walleye: i understand. I usually also do it like you. As i said: i discovered it by accident.

Please have a look at the video. There you can see clearly what i mean

Edit: the whole thread is not about claiming, that it does not work if it is carried out correctly.

I think this is not a bug, the ENGINE RIGHT FIRE and ENGINE FIRE RIGHT are different sound files (same applies to the left engine). This happens always when you do an incomplete right or left fire test (if you release the switch before the ENGINE RIGHT FIRE ends and you toggle the switch again it will go ENGINE FIRE RIGHT... like a warning.

Turn off and on again the battery.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

I think this is not a bug, the ENGINE RIGHT FIRE and ENGINE FIRE RIGHT are different sound files (same applies to the left engine). This happens always when you do an incomplete right or left fire test (if you release the switch before the ENGINE RIGHT FIRE ends and you toggle the switch again it will go ENGINE FIRE RIGHT... like a warning.

Turn off and on again the battery.

This is exactly what I was asking. Is this intended and if yes, then why are there actually two different sound files for this? I mean, what is the point of having two different versions? If it was just for telling the pilot "Hey you do the fire test wrong" it would be more appropriate to just let Betty say just that :smartass:

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys :-)

I'm observing the same system behaviour as Moafuleum. And am also wondering where this is coming from. Basically I understood the question to be "Is this a bug or a feature?"

I am aware that it would make sense to use two different phrases to make the left and right fire warnings easier to distinguish. But still: Is that part of the design, or unintentional?

I am aware that it does not show if the start-up procedures are followed correctly. But still: Why does it have two different sound files?

And yes,... I'm aware that it doesn't make a difference for the casual gamer who just wants to fire up the Hornet and blow some bad guys out of the sky every now and then. Nothing wrong with that :-)

...but if someone (devs? ...anyone?) has a plausible explanation for this behaviour, I'd appreciate!

Dirty :-D