can't see the whole hud in VR

fael097

hey, I was flying the a10c just now on the rift, and realized I keep moving my head a lot so I can see the hud symbology. If I sit still and center camera position, I can't see the heading indicator or the horizon line on the hud.

shouldn't it be smaller? or shouldn't I be closer to the panel? what's wrong, and how do I move my position manually without having to move my head to weird positions, re-center view and moving my head back again to relaxed?

here's a screenshot attached

screengrab.thumb.jpg.6aeea80ed87e8808ae6fa1fb20f7296e.jpg

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

It's due to a change ED made recently to move the starting position back to the natural sitting position of the pilot (before it felt like you were essentially sat on the joystick). The problem was they didn't also adjust the HUD scaling - so the HUD is scaled for the old seating position, not the new. It doesn't look like they're going to change it (judging by other forum posts I've seen in the A-10C section) which is disappointing - for now, you can either live with the right seat position but have to move your head, or you can move your seating position forward to the old position. I think by default double-clicking the mouse-wheel will let you scroll forward/back (and then double-click it again to exit that).

this is really disappointing. I was trying to adjust my position so I could see the whole hud and indeed I had to be sitting on the stick to see it properly, in a way that was difficult to see the side consoles.

guess I'll save some money for the hornet and hope it doesn't have the same problem then

thanks!

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

it might be something like that, but right now the only way to see the whole hud is to move your head directly above the joystick or beyond. it's just too close, doesn't seem very realistic

Edited by fael097

Rafael

it might be something like that, but right now the only way to see the whole hud is to move your head directly above the joystick or beyond it's just too close, doesn't seem very realistic

check real life photos and videos and you will see A-10 pilots fly without pressing their heads against the headrest.

They are closer to the HUD than default DCS position.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

check real life photos and videos and you will see A-10 pilots fly without pressing their heads against the headrest.

They are closer to the HUD than default DCS position.

do real a-10 pilots fly with their heads directly above the joystick? that's the minimum position I can see all the symbols displayed, like this:

Md72KKB.jpg

Edited by fael097

Rafael

From pilots i've talked to you dont really ever see the whole HUD, you have to move left right up down to see the elements you want, it is never fully in view.

if that's the case, then the a-10c module is really accurate, as I have to keep moving my head all the time.

yet I don't buy it for a second. no way in hell they would make the hud field of view say 10 degrees (arbitrary number) but you can only see 7 degrees from sitting position, so if you want to see everything that the hud was designed to show, then you must bobble your head all the time or stare into the hud as an elderly person reading the newspaper without glasses.

perhaps in the real thing you have to move your head 5cm up or down, left or right sometimes, not 30cm up and down or 40cm forward to see vital information.

Rafael

"Scaling – The displayed image (flight path, pitch and yaw scaling, etc.), are scaled to present to the pilot a picture that overlays the outside world in an exact 1:1 relationship. For example, objects (such as a runway threshold) that are 3 degrees below the horizon as viewed from the cockpit must appear at the −3 degree index on the HUD display."

If they changed the scaling to mollycoddle everyone's aggrievement, it would no longer have conformity with the outside world So, the HUD is correct as-is, and moreover I suspect ED made the original A-10 position too far forward as a kludge specifically to allow the entire HUD to be seen, which is how it should remain in the non-vr environment.

That said, the new vr position does feel a just few inches too far backward now.

That said, the new vr position does feel a just few inches too far backward now.

I feel the same but no problem being able to move the default point of view.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

if that's the case, then the a-10c module is really accurate, as I have to keep moving my head all the time.

yet I don't buy it for a second. no way in hell they would make the hud field of view say 10 degrees (arbitrary number) but you can only see 7 degrees from sitting position, so if you want to see everything that the hud was designed to show, then you must bobble your head all the time or stare into the hud as an elderly person reading the newspaper without glasses.

perhaps in the real thing you have to move your head 5cm up or down, left or right sometimes, not 30cm up and down or 40cm forward to see vital information.

I don't have to move as much as that. From everything I've read, the sim is accurate. Too accurate for some on the man babies in here.

• 3 weeks later...
do real a-10 pilots fly with their heads directly above the joystick? that's the minimum position I can see all the symbols displayed, like this:

Md72KKB.jpg

Great photo to illustrate the point, although for some reason I'm no longer so fixated on the HUD.

System spec: Intel i9 13900KF @ stock,  Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB GDDR6X, Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4, Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO SL 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600MHz C18, Samsung 980 EVO 500 GB NVME M.2 SSD (system drive), Samsung 970 EVO 1 TB NVME M.2 SSD (games drive), Cooler Master ML360 Illusion CPU Cooler, Asus XG43UQ Monitor, Oculus Quest Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

You're probably right, my friends are most likely just lying to me. :thumbup:

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

I just have my default view position set to where the stick is where its supposed to be and everything on the virtual instrument panel is within easy reach. If I look straight ahead at the HUD at that point, I can see the whole HUD. But, there aren't any margins on the sides and top. If I move my head just a little bit off center, I don't see the whole thing. That seems about right to me. The back of the seat at this point seems a little far back, yet the front of the seat cushion looks to be in the right place. I think the seat is slightly out of scale along its longitudinal axis. The distance I am from the panel though feels exactly the same as sitting in other aircraft in real life, including L-39s. I wouldn't expect A-10s to be much different from the standpoint of ergonomics.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Real A10 pilots have confirmed the whole isn’t visible, you cretin.

• 1 year later...
Over-reaction much?

Depends. If these points have already been clarified by RL pilots, and us armchair pilots keep beating a dead horse, one should be entitled to remind everyone about it. ;)

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

And some people here believe that you should raise seat at maximum height, so you see well below. Meaning that none gets protection from the armored bathtub. So in combat, lower your seat and you will see full HUD from the rear. And you are protected from the bullets.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

My guess is that the original DCS A-10 viewpoint was set for players on a 1080p 24” screen without head tracking. So the HUD and MFCD panels are up close to you to see them although that made your viewpoint way far forward.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

Sounds similar to the current spitfire hud problem

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=251228

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=253634

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I fixed this for the spit https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=4153485&postcount=12 on a quick examination there is a difference between the A-10C default and VR views as well:

[13] = {--default view

viewAngle = 75.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -19.000000,

x_trans = 0.157000,

y_trans = -0.008000,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

cockpit_version = 1,

},

[14] = {--default view - VR

viewAngle = 75.000000,--FOV

hAngle = 0.000000,

vAngle = -23.000000,

x_trans = 0.146000,

y_trans = 0.036000,

z_trans = 0.000000,

rollAngle = 0.000000,

cockpit_version = 1,

},

you might try modifying the VR defaults in snapview to match the regular default view and see if this works for you

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 1 month later...

there is seat up/down in controls which has no assignment. I assigned the apostrophe / tilde key for up and shift + apostrophe tilde for down.

you can also use R CTRL + R SHIFT (hold down) then tap num pad keys 8 for up 2 for down and 4 left and 6 right view.