Pimax - Los Angeles Meet-up - Thoughts!!!

Jabbers_

Good summary, my thanks

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Thanks for putting this together and sharing!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Great job Jabbers. Very informative. I just now started looking into the primax thing.

Google says it should be available for retail before next year. Have they commented on that by any chance?

Not that I’ve seen

Twitch2DCS - Bring twitch chat into DCS.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

twitch / youtube / facebook / twitter / discord

Thanks for the insight. The case for the 5k+ is only getting stronger, maybe we can get the hand tracking module for the difference.

This kickstarter project har given a good upside.

AND, preorder is up at 699,-

Edited by pegon

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Google says it should be available for retail before next year. Have they commented on that by any chance?

Soon should be open for pre-order but sweeping will not be before Q1 because it is questionable if they will manage to send all shipments to backers before Christmass as they promise.

Jabbers, great review, you answer me on more doubts I have after initial reviews even Svevivers DCS reviews.

About 5K, if you backing 8K you are able to switch to 5K+ which is 100$ less so you will be able to choose some additional modules for Pimax5K in that 100$ value. So you can choose this hand tracking module or something like Vive audiostrap but for Pimax, or eye tracking.

About this hand tracking maybe now you understand what I was talking about in our debate in Captogloves. Check what I'm trying incouraging people to more participation in that VirtualBox project which could be used in DCS no matter is it Captoglove, Leapmotion, this Pimax hand tracking module or any other VR controller.

I don't have anything against any one of them just want to encourage people or even Devs of any of this devices to do something about it because this way could be used in the same way in multiple titles including DCS for ultimate VR cockpit interaction.

Now after your experience with Pimax try to be open for such an idea.

Soon should be open for pre-order but sweeping will not be before Q1 because it is questionable if they will manage to send all shipments to backers before Christmass as they promise.

Jabbers, great review, you answer me on more doubts I have after initial reviews even Svevivers DCS reviews.

About 5K, if you backing 8K you are able to switch to 5K+ which is 100$ less so you will be able to choose some additional modules for Pimax5K in that 100$ value. So you can choose this hand tracking module or something like Vive audiostrap but for Pimax, or eye tracking.

About this hand tracking maybe now you understand what I was talking about in our debate in Captogloves. Check what I'm trying incouraging people to more participation in that VirtualBox project which could be used in DCS no matter is it Captoglove, Leapmotion, this Pimax hand tracking module or any other VR controller.

I don't have anything against any one of them just want to encourage people or even Devs of any of this devices to do something about it because this way could be used in the same way in multiple titles including DCS for ultimate VR cockpit interaction.

Now after your experience with Pimax try to be open for such an idea.

Hand tracking without feedback is silly to me, i wasnt really speaking for DCS, i dont want to accidentally slap buttons cause i cant feel them.

SplashOneGaming.com - Splash One is a community built on combat flight simulation. S1G Discord

Hand tracking without feedback is silly to me, i wasnt really speaking for DCS, i don't want to accidentally slap buttons cause i can't feel them.

I think it is not time yet for haptic feedback. Will be great but why not interaction even without too. I can understand you about it but with CG I was more missing positional tracking.

BTW Pimax preorders start from today. So they keep a promise about that any price is for my opinion little bit too high just like with Vive Pro.

But that is my personal opinion.

Or even better, fly an adversary the International Symbol of Brotherly Love :)

I am an engineer and curious why you thought the 8K has more screen door effect than the 5K, when the reverse should be true. Care to give a technical guess?

Well there is no guessing, it is because of the pixel pattern used. The 8k uses a PenTile layout, the 5k+ is RGB Stripe

RGB-PenTile-Comparison.jpg

Thanks for the review Jabbers. I gotta say I was disappointed to hear your thoughts on the 8K. I'll definitely be going for the 5K+. Probably a little less intense on the system requirements anyway.

In the end all I want is a better VR experience (I never expected the ultimate) and the FOV along with no screen door will do that for me.

i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz - ASUS Maximus Hero XI - 32GB 4266 DDR4 RAM - ASUS RTX 2080Ti - 1 TB NVME - NZXT Kraken 62 Watercooling System - Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas (Virpil Base) - MFG Crosswind Pedals - Pimax 5K+

VFA-25 Fist Of The Fleet

I doubt in Jabbers review accuracy. Simply as you can see on video it is evident how he is wearing flipflops and with flipflops, SDE is more pronounced and could effect on hand tracking module because of picking up additional fingers, more than 10.

music_whistling.gif

Hi jabbers nice review, id just like to let you know it is called pie max. the original 4k model uses raspberry pi hardware and i believe thats the reason they went with the name. also their logo is the pi symbol :P

did you ever try the pimax 4k and the leap motion hand tracker. if so can you comment on improvements between the 4k and 5k sde

cheers

Hi jabbers nice review, id just like to let you know it is called pie max. the original 4k model uses raspberry pi hardware and i believe thats the reason they went with the name. also their logo is the pi symbol :P

did you ever try the pimax 4k and the leap motion hand tracker. if so can you comment on improvements between the 4k and 5k sde

cheers

I know what its called, bad joke on my part, no one got it. :(

I have not tried the 4k

Edited by Jabbers_

I know what its called, bad joke on my part, no one got it. sad.gif

No bad feelings, it was not my intention. I was just want to show how fully relaxed you was on that meeting.

To be honest and as I say before from your report I found out more details I didn't get an answered so far or confirmed some of my assumption based on some other reviews for that product.