How do you animate 3D models?

It has come to my attention that there are more and more 3d modelers on this forum (which is awesome) but I’m starting to see a pattern of why most models have a hard time coming into the game. There are several projects out there right now but its “on hold” because most of us don’t know how to animate using ED’s tools, and the argument number. So I want to ask for those 3d modelers who do know how to animate, please create a tutorial, whether it’s a video tutorial or simply put on this forum through pictures: anything would be helpful right now. I remember Strikemax made a video over at lockon-models.com but i think someone said the video doesn't work anymore. Cheers to anyone who could help.

Btw, a tip to other 3D modelers, always back up your files. One really great model, walmis F-15, was lost due to computer trouble.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi.

I know the frustration when the model has to be animated when you don't know how. As i had to figer it out resently for my first model yak-28, gathering all of the avalable info i've made the complete animation with wich im quite satisfied and i was going to make a simple PDF tutorial for seting up the animation paramiters, tire rotation and, and working with the key curves of argument based animation.

Unfortunately i can't write it all out now without pics but i'll try to do some thing within the next few days if the help dont get there sooner bearing in mind that im new to this my self however i found a nomber of things that do and dont work with argument based animation:book: .

And for now or some who know a few thing about using MAX is to set the slide bar to -100 and 100 frames and 100 FPS and simply use argument based conroler animations.

I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.

What we need is a Lomac production line of 3d modding imho

- those that can build - build 3d model and then hand model over to trusted individuals - that can animate / uvw / skin and do the necessary tweaks to lomac game engine - ise the model

- lastly the model can then be made into a lom file and then it could be publically released - for all to fly and enjoy etc

Frankly its too much work for 1 person to do all the aspects required

- eg build the model , skin , engine it , etc etc -

i am sure someone ot there could do it alone - but speaking personally - its a hell of alot of work per each 1 model in your spare time to do alone - what with life / job / kid / wife and limited free time in evenings to model and or relax etc !

btw my new model will make a public picture appearance later this week all being well - :-)

Roger

ok fine, i edited it. The last i heard from him was his computer "fried" so he can't work on it. And i emailed him in the past with no response, so i assumed it was lost.

Rattler if you read his last post twice I have my facts straight

https://www.shapeways.com/shops/a-10c-warthog-supplies

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/133818-deadmans-cockpit-base-plans/#comment-133824

CNCs and Laser engravers are great but they can't do squat with out a precise set of plans.

i think you will find the a10 model has a dubious history of origin

i can assure you that if an individual mounted schematic line drawings into 3dmax to make an original a10 model from scratch

- the 3dmax files of the model would / should never be lost - doing sensible 2 hard drive back up , and also burning a cd / dvd of ongoing modelling or finished model - takes minutes and minimal cost to save out !

- the current model i am making has probably been saved to 3000 max files in total as build progresses and i save every few minutes - max increment saves the files as you go - set in options

for example i have been building some engines last night for my new plane - and i have 250 saved max files called engine 01 thru to 250

the idea that one can make an original 3d model , and loose it by not saving / backing up or thru hard ware failure like a pc crash / hard drive failure - beggars belief of extreme stupidity - particularly when you consider the hours one models for

i have spent at least 125 hours on my current project over the last 6 weeks at least !

yes please, try to stay on topic, i don't want this thread to be closed that could have future 3d modelers.

As a sidenote deadman, you could have always just said "i don't think Lo-fi's model was lost" and i would have changed it, there's no need to sound rude and say "get your facts straight"

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It has come to my attention that there are more and more 3d modelers on this forum (which is awesome) but I’m starting to see a pattern of why most models have a hard time coming into the game. There are several projects out there right now but its “on hold” because most of us don’t know how to animate using ED’s tools, and the argument number.

I don't get it.

Lists of arguments(for both aircraft and vehicules) are included in ED's plug-in package. You can also use the "LO viewer" utility to see animations/arguments in action for existing Lock-on models and for checking your own animations/lom conversions outside the game.

Anyway, it takes a lot of time to reserch, build, texture and animate a 3D model for Lock-on and it is difficult for most people to find the free time to go through the full process in one stretch - not least because few people have the necessary skills/knowledge for all required steps of the process. Some people may have years of experience in modelling, but little or no idea about integrating a model into Lock-on, while others may have years of experience in modding Lock-on, but few or no modelling skills at all.

JJ

well get this - LO VIEWER has never worked on my version of LOMAC ever !

and posts with the error message were posted etc by various people - at least 2 threds in the past i know of - and no devs ever replied with a reason why or solution - great tech support i feel (

i have never been able to view any of the game 3d models via this tool - i just gave up - and do my own 3d thing

anyway - my idea of a 3d modding production line in another thred still stands - pool resources and people - build a model - share it with the people with skills ABC ETC - and voila - at the end of the process the community gets a nice new 3d plane or object to utilise in game

IF a modding slots tool became available - it would make adding stuff in game nice too - without having to transvestite or replace existing objects in favour for a new model )

well get this - LO VIEWER has never worked on my version of LOMAC ever !

....and what version of Lock-on would that be? - AFAIK the tool only works with Lock-on: FC.

Anyway, what I didn't get was superkungfu saying that:

...because most of us don’t know how to animate using ED’s tools, and the argument number.

Lists of argument numbers are included with the plug-in package, so even if the viewer tool doesn't work with your version of Lock-on you can still animate your model and just use the game to check if the animiations work the way they are supposed to.

It may not be as convienient, but thats how I do it......the LO viewer tool doesn't seem to be working with the current Black Shark beta either :) .

JJ

yep i found that out about LO FC and the tool eventually

and guess what i won't buy FC becoz its starforce infected - period

my pc is one of those that has been damaged by SF from another pc game that i was stupid enough to let install with SF - seriously ((

anyway i run vanilla lomac with the 1.2 patch i think )

ok fine, i edited it. The last i heard from him was his computer "fried" so he can't work on it. And i emailed him in the past with no response, so i assumed it was lost.

Rattler if you read his last post twice I have my facts straight

Could have sworn Ive seen this posted somewhere else...deja vu.

• 3 years later...

I am gonna bump this one. Does anyone have that pdf anymore? That link is bad now. I realize its old but I sure could use it. Thanks.

Max

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]Proud founder of VNAO and current deck jockey with VFA-103:pilotfly::pilotfly:

I am gonna bump this one. Does anyone have that pdf anymore? That link is bad now. I realize its old but I sure could use it. Thanks.

Max

Animation Tutorial PDF

i7 7700K | 32GB RAM | GTX 1080Ti | Rift CV1 | TM Warthog | Win 10

"There will always be people with a false sense of entitlement.

You can want it, you can ask for it, but you don't automatically deserve it. "