How to get DCS to stop assigning axis and keys to new device

How on earth can I get DCS to stop doing this. It's totally screwing me up. Everytime it recognizes a new device to assigns pitch, roll, rudder, thrust, POVs. It's getting extremely annoying and conflicts with other devices. Thanks!

I had originally written that these were from the F/A-18. Apologies: they are from the Spit.

I think it's driven by the lines starting with "combos" in the file "default.lua". Examples from the Spitfire:

1. Switches/buttons:

{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_L'}},                                           pressed = iCommandViewLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Left slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_R'}},                                           pressed = iCommandViewRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_U'}},                                           pressed = iCommandViewUpSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_D'}},                                           pressed = iCommandViewDownSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_UR'}},                                          pressed = iCommandViewUpRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_DR'}},                                          pressed = iCommandViewDownRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_DL'}},                                          pressed = iCommandViewDownLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down Left slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN_POV1_UL'}},                                          pressed = iCommandViewUpLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up Left slow'), category = _('View')},
{combos = {{key = 'JOY_BTN5'}},                                                         pressed = iCommandViewCenter, name = _('View Center'), category = _('View')},

and for axes:

{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("roll"), action = iCommandPlaneRoll, name = _('Roll')},
{combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("pitch"), action = iCommandPlanePitch, name = _('Pitch')},
 {combos = defaultDeviceAssignmentFor("rudder"), action = iCommandPlaneRudder, name = _('Rudder')},

To remove the defaults for the POV hats, change the View lines to:

{pressed = iCommandViewLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Left slow'), category = _('View')},
{pressed = iCommandViewRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{pressed = iCommandViewUpSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up slow'), category = _('View')},
{pressed = iCommandViewDownSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down slow'), category = _('View')},
{pressed = iCommandViewUpRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{pressed = iCommandViewDownRightSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down Right slow'), category = _('View')},
{pressed = iCommandViewDownLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Down Left slow'), category = _('View')},
{pressed = iCommandViewUpLeftSlow, up = iCommandViewStopSlow, name = _('View Up Left slow'), category = _('View')},
 {pressed = iCommandViewCenter, name = _('View Center'), category = _('View')},

Actually I could simply comment the View lines out (because I use TrackIR) by inserting a "--" (double minus sign) at the beginnings of these lines.

And for the axes:

{action = iCommandPlaneRoll, name = _('Roll')},
{action = iCommandPlanePitch, name = _('Pitch')},
{action = iCommandPlaneRudder, name = _('Rudder')},

Of course, ED will restore the original default .lua at every update, so you would need to use a program like OvGME to back out and restore your modified files before/after the update.

I have made these changes for my Spitfire as a test. I did not lose any bindings, and the aircraft behaves as before.

But the better solution would be for ED remove these "combos" statements.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

As far as devices go, I would be fine with having no default device controller assignments.

Is there anyone who doesn't make changes to the default device profiles?

Just recognize the device and leave the controller assignments alone would be my wish.

I like things my way. I like things left my way. No big deal.

Win 10 pro 64 bit. Intel i7 4790 4 Ghz running at 4.6. Asus z97 pro wifi main board, 32 gig 2400 ddr3 gold ram, 50 inch 4K UHD and HDR TV for monitor. H80 cpu cooler. 8 other cooling fans in full tower server case. Soundblaster ZX sound card. EVGA 1080 TI FTW3. TM Hotas Wartog. TM T.16000M MFG Crosswinds Pedals. Trackir 5.

"Everyone should fly a Spitfire at least once" John S. Blyth

As far as devices go, I would be fine with having no default device controller assignments.

Is there anyone who doesn't make changes to the default device profiles?

Just recognize the device and leave the controller assignments alone would be my wish.

I like things my way. I like things left my way. No big deal.

I am with you there, that would be nice.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I agree. Most of the default bindings I've seen were not right right for me and I have spent time deleting them. ED in my opinion is wasting resources for making default bindings and default profiles. They should rather direct those resources to fix bugs.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

At the least if they could make it to where it is an option to import them, not have them automatically inserted into there.

I could see it being helpful for some newer folks, many of us that have been with DCS for years would likely much prefer all those axis binding not being applied automatically - across multiple controllers.

Have it per individual controller, with an option to import the default settings. Otherwise just let us assign them ourselves. Would save a lot of time having to

in clearing all those out.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I would like to see an option, when you first plug in a new controller, DCS prompts you with a question - Would you like to import the default assignments? Would really only be necessary with a new controller device recognized.

It asks us one time, and we either do or don't. If we don't, we start with a clean slate for axis and button assignments.

Don B

To make things worse, we now have 2 sources of default bindings:

1. the "combos" in the "default.lua" (my 25-OCT-2018 post).

2. The new files ending with ".diff.lua" that were added into the same folders that also contain the "default.lua". These default profiles were first introduced in OB 2 updates ago. With the hotfix 1 week ago their functionality was corrected so that they do not create default binding unless you push the button in Options/Controls.

When they introduced those they should have removed the "combos" statements per 1. above.

LeCuvier