NVMe vs SSD

I noticed you said double ... I just checked SSD prices ...... they have fallen a LOT

c9ca6fd9c0390e567949adc6bf556dec749d4d640e7ccaac93b27b6a0c8108e9.jpg

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

@Johnny_Rico True. Just rechecked prices and the 970 evo nvme 2tb is only 130-150€ more expensive than its SATA 3 counterpart. Worth a thought if one wants to invest in a 2tb drive right now. I just went with a 500gb since that one satisfies my needs right now and when prices come down even more...my ''loss'' won't be that big of a deal.

For my next 2700X + 1080Ti build I'm tempted to just go with 2x 500GB 860 Evo's. I haven't seen one benchmark that says NVME *will* give me higher FPS or less stuttering.

I have both a NVME m2 970EVO 500GB + a samsung 850evo 500gb: for dcs and any other game there is 0 differene, the only difference is like 4-5 seconds faster when loading up the game, that's it.

No difference in terms of fps or stuttering :thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Someone in here somewhere did some recent testing of DCS on a m.2 Nvme versus a Sata SSD.

He claimed around a 3-5 fps increase I believe, but this was in VR.

3-5 fps....you will not even notice them......i can tell you, (i deeply tested both of them) there is absolutely 0 difference.

:thumbup::thumbup:

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

• 1 year later...

On a SATA III SSD I still find stuttering when jumping to another unit and DCS needs to load in textures, etc. It takes 1-2 sec for refreshing the textures. I am hoping nvme may fix this issue. Anybody seen this issue?

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

On a SATA III SSD I still find stuttering when jumping to another unit and DCS needs to load in textures, etc. It takes 1-2 sec for refreshing the textures. I am hoping nvme may fix this issue. Anybody seen this issue?

What you could also try is to find the zip file of the texture, extract it, and rezip it with no compression. You can use 7-zip or Winrar or any compression utility. I actually do this to all zip files in DCS folder.

If you try unzipping those big texture zip files, you can see how long it takes for Windows to uncompress it. If DCS has to do that during game, it make sense it'll take 1-2 seconds.

I recently changed my setup. I have not done any benchmarks so these are my observations from using my PC and DCS.

I had a regular 250gb M2 SSD with my OS and programs. Then I had a Sata 3 SSD 1gb as a game drive. Both were Crucial MX500's. This setup was already fast. However, there was a good offer on so I swapped to put everything on a 1tb Sabrent NVME drive. The differences in the real world are minimal.

My OS loads faster but it was fast anyway, its almost instant now and it took about 15 seconds before. DCS and its missions/campaigns load a few seconds faster. However its the actual game loading that is noticeably quicker. However again 5-10 seconds maybe thats all.

The one thing that has gone completely is when I fly on Persian Gulf in DCE campaigns I would have the occasional stall or pause for just over a second. It was rare and would not happen on every mission, I would say 1 out of 3. I have been running this NVME drive about a month now and that pause has not happened once. All of my other hardware is the same as before. I even cloned the OS so I did not do a fresh start. I copied the DCS install too with all the same save game folders.

Other games loaded much faster though. I like the Battlefield series but its a PITA waiting for it to load up. The NVME drive did speed this up a lot.

I now run this single NVME setup with an external HDD mechanical for back ups.