Petition about FOV limits and ZOOM speed

Kwiatek

HI

It would be good if developer could do something with more realistic FOV limits and also about ZOOM IN and OUT adjustable speed.

In default game in single monitor FOV limits are not realistic at all.

Before i was forced to edit lua and confing files for every plane i got to limit FOV to e.x. 110-120 degres to got more realistic cocpit view then wrong default 140 degres.

It is absurd that we need to combine and edit some files to get more realistic view from cocpit expecially when you used ZOOM IN and OUT scaning.

Even worse that editing original files cause not permit to online gameply.

Also i think like it is in other sims ZOOM IN and OUT command should have adjustable SPEED casue default speed it way too slow.

I was need to editing View file in Config folder to these:

ockpitMouse = true --false

CockpitMouseSpeedSlow = 1.0

CockpitMouseSpeedNormal = 10.0

CockpitMouseSpeedFast = 20.0

CockpitKeyboardAccelerationSlow = 5.0

CockpitKeyboardAccelerationNormal = 30.0

CockpitKeyboardAccelerationFast = 80.0

CockpitKeyboardZoomAcceleration = 500.0

DisableSnapViewsSaving = false

UseDefaultSnapViews = true

CockpitPanStepHor = 45.0

CockpitPanStepVert = 30.0

CockpitNyMove = true

CockpitHAngleAccelerateTimeMax = 0.15

CockpitVAngleAccelerateTimeMax = 0.15

CockpitZoomAccelerateTimeMax = 3.0

to get more faster zoom speed.

Plz make some options in menu for changing ZOOM speed and also

for every plane in game to options for restricted maximum FOV to get more realisitc cocpit view without stupid editing original files and allow to play online.

Other hand playing such game is annoying.

S!

Agree completely!

What we need is a simple FOV slider in the settings like many other games have.

And a speed setting for the zoom button commands would be great.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

1. Hit LCTRL+Pause twice, and you get a FOV readout in the top left corner.
  2. You can map zoom in/out slow but also zoom in/out fast (or is that called normal), which zooms pretty damn fast, along with zoom normal, which resets to your default fov.
  3. You dont need to edit files to set your desired default FOV. Simply just allow user snapviews in your options, and when in cockpit adjust to your desired FOV, and hit RALT+0 (zero on numpad) to save your default view. This counts for eye position too, if you want to adjust. Granted, wont do anything about zoom in and out limits, but just dont zoom out that much - really dont see the problem there.
  4. If you are using the friction slider on the Warthog throttle base to zoom in/out, and center doesnt fit your desired FOV, simply just slap a user curve on that axis, until it does.

- Jack of many DCS modules, master of none.

- Personal wishlist: F-15A, F-4S Phantom II, JAS 39A Gripen, SAAB 35 Draken, F-104 Starfighter, Panavia Tornado IDS.

| Windows 11 | i5-12400 | 64Gb DDR4 | RTX 3080 | 2x M.2 | 27" 1440p | Rift CV1 | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind pedals |

Instant zoom is dead easy - no need to edit any .lua files.

If you use any mapping software (TARGET or whatever) you can just use a single button on your stick/throttle.

R_SHFT KP* to instantly zoom in to the minimum FOV.

KP_ENTER to reset the view to your desired FOV.

This is easy to set up so you hold the button for how ever long you want to zoom in - when you release the button it snaps back to normal.

This is how I do it in TARGET

mQuGpZw.png

wxDi6OO.png

Hey i dont want to instant zoom just smooth one which i could focus on interested area with changing zooming.

In other sims you could smooth zoom IN and OUT with adjustable speed as you desire.

Also deafult maximum FOV is way too high which casue abnormal cocpit view.

Check how it works in BOX or CLOD. There are realistic restricted FOV as were in cocpit of real plane and also you could adjust ZOOM IN and OUT speed.

I increased zoom speed in lua files but still there is a problem with unrealistic cocpit view at too high FOV - 140 degrees. To got realistic view from cocpit maximum FOV should be about 110 degrees.

Well the global FOV limits (at least on my PC) are stored in the Server.lua

Mine are set at 110/20 degrees (although I never actually use such a wide FOV) and it won't zoom out/in any further. Maybe try poking around there.

In the past the Server.lua has been overridden by online server settings but I don't know if that's still the case.

Image2.thumb.png.8ec66230ab4cb1c1c9a1daf628288188.png

Edited by Lixma 06

Granted, wont do anything about zoom in and out limits, but just dont zoom out that much - really dont see the problem there.

Not being able to set a max zoom out is just about game breaking it’s so horrible.

Awful

Awful

Awful

and even more awful. :wallbash:

Sure there are workarounds to this, some of which are too complicated for the average user.

And any edit of the .lua files will get overridden online. If you’re using an axis it can be fixed in the responses menu. But those using buttons don’t have that option. Much of the often maligned visibility trouble in this sim is made worse when players can’t easily use the zoom.

The super wide view is completely awkward. I’m not sure how this has gone unfixed for so long.

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

I use buttons (no axis) and my max zoom out (FOV) is whatever I've set it in the Snapviews.lua.

e.g. this is my Mig-15 entry for the default view....

[13] = {--default view
	viewAngle = 80.000000,--FOV
	hAngle	 = 0.000000,
	vAngle	 = -2.000000,
	x_trans	 = -0.050000,
	y_trans	 = 0.019200,
	z_trans	 = 0.029222,
	rollAngle = 0.000000,

During a flight I use one button on my throttle R_SHFT KP* to instantly zoom in, and then when I release the button my throttle sends a KP_ENTER command to instantly return to my favoured FOV - 80.0 degrees in this case.

It works fine, even online. I don't use VR or multi-monitor so I don't know if that's where the problems begin.

But I agree there needs to be a more user friendly method of tuning our views.

Default is fishy eyey with too high FOV ( WTF??)

Second is like it supposed to be maximum FOV

2:st pic is vital when eg. flying helis in 2D, due the lack of depth also that we don't have true peripheral vision on our monitors.

My zoom in & out is fast.

I don't see any problems here!

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

Enforcing "realistic" FOV may hurt some players - what's realistic on a single screen will not be realistic on a projector for example and some people use those. So I'm not in favor of restrictive hard limits, but user defined limits and more options for FOV changing (speed, instant, presets etc.) would all be good changes.

• Like 1

It doesnt hurt if there will be option for every plane ( or group of planes) in setup game menu. The same like adjustable speed of ZOOM.

It is really annoying when i decrasing ZOOM and get these crap unrealistic fish eye.

Other sims there is really no problem with these casue they got realistic default view ( without changing anything here)

• 1 month later...

The limit FOV in server.LUA works fine for most modules, there's a few ones like the hornet that are not currently limiting any FOV even if there's in entry for it in the LUA, I got mine set to 20,85 and works great, above 85 you start to get the fisheye effect when you pan with trackIR and if you use the analogue axis for the zoom (incr-decr slider on warthog) you can zoom as fast as you can

Simflyin' since 1985 :smartass:

The problem with editing the lua file is that multiplayer can overrule that.

A simple setting in the graphics menu would be better and easier to use.

The problem with editing the lua file is that multiplayer can overrule that.

A simple setting in the graphics menu would be better and easier to use.

No, it's in your user folder and is not multiplayer integrity compromising :thumbup:

No, it's in your user folder and is not multiplayer integrity compromising :thumbup:

The last time I tried that was maybe 5 years ago. And certain servers or even single player missions would override it. Maybe something has changed since then.

The last time I tried that was maybe 5 years ago. And certain servers or even single player missions would override it. Maybe something has changed since then.

the files in the mods/aircraft will, the server file in your user folder won't :thumbup:

• 1 month later...

Can anyone from ED point out why we are unable to limit the FOV via server.LUA in the user folder for certain aircrafts? The 30 NA mustang is not limiting it while the 25 NA works fine, the hornet also won't limit, Thanks

I change fov every few seconds. Effect is almost instant. Why would I need fov limit? Simply stop where I want.

I find it’s a real pain when you want to zoom back out and it doesn’t stop at a certain limit.

This can all be solved if you are using an axis or slider for the zoom as you can just set the limit on the response menu. For those using buttons I’m sure it’s a gigantic frustration.

People are frustrated by this because DCS is the only flight sim with this problem.

It’s SUPER! SUPER! SUPER! awkward! (seriously it’s awful)

I can figure what the purpose of the ultrawide stretch view is. Triple screens?

Please just put a setting for it in the GUI.

I change fov every few seconds. Effect is almost instant. Why would I need fov limit? Simply stop where I want.

If you are using a slider for the zoom axis you end up with a fisheye view when full back, you also lose precision in your zooming ability because now only the first half of the slider is usable, we can limit it fine with the server.lua file in the user folder, it works great for some aircraft but it's just that certain aircraft won't do it despite having a setting in the lua file for it, just want to have ED clarify that :thumbup:

If you are using a slider for the zoom axis you end up with a fisheye view when full back, you also lose precision in your zooming ability because now only the first half of the slider is usable, we can limit it fine with the server.lua file in the user folder, it works great for some aircraft but it's just that certain aircraft won't do it despite having a setting in the lua file for it, just want to have ED clarify that :thumbup:

If you are using an axis assignment, try this

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2286120&postcount=1

You might need to reverse the axis in its external controller setup. I believe I did that too.

If you are using an axis assignment, try this

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2286120&postcount=1

You might need to reverse the axis in its external controller setup. I believe I did that too.

There’s is no need to use any external software for controls in DCS, it’s going to create problems more than anything, like I said the settings in server.lua works fine we just need ED to clarify or explain why some of the modules won’t work with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk