Is the MiG-29 PFM correct now?

Xtan

In the real world, can the MiG-29 rotate at 60 knots (120 KPH)? :helpsmilie:

Test conditions: No wind, No mount, Full feul, Full bullets, Full flaps.

Edit1: Sorry for my poor english. By rotation I mean the front landing gear is off the ground.

Edit2: Uploaded the video of take off.

Edited by Xtan

• ED Team
The mig29 FM are very strange, and the effects of the slats are way too much, even after the last patch.

It is done like in real.

Russian aerodynamic is the best of the world, but not in DCS :)

Russian aerodynamics have always followed the American.

Единственный урок, который можно извлечь из истории, состоит в том, что люди не извлекают из истории никаких уроков. (С) Джордж Бернард Шоу

You are not rotating, you are decelerating

while keeping nose high.

Try the opposite. Try to rotate at 70 knots from zero speed.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Try to rotate at 70 knots from zero speed.

Tried that yesterday (just after update) and looked like above 70kts the nose starts to rotate at full aft stick. The moment later you hit the ground with tailpipes.

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

The last update makes landing a bit easier, the secret is to come at 300kph and flare above runway, using ground effect. Before, it was really difficult, the aircraft had a tendency to sink above runway. I'm happy with this first 'tunning pass' on the Fulcrum FM.

• ED Team
The last update makes landing a bit easier, the secret is to come at 300kph and flare above runway, using ground effect. Before, it was really difficult, the aircraft had a tendency to sink above runway. I'm happy with this first 'tunning pass' on the Fulcrum FM.

Interesting... the last update did not touch any longitudinal matter at all, especially for landing. :) You just have grown your skill...

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Tried that yesterday (just after update) and looked like above 70kts the nose starts to rotate at full aft stick. The moment later you hit the ground with tailpipes.

So its not possible to rotate at 70 knots safely.

You hit the ground with the tailpipe and probably damage something.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Interesting... the last update did not touch any longitudinal matter at all, especially for landing. :) You just have grown your skill...

I see a lot of these phantom patches around here :p

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I personally like the new FM. Many jets have elevator authority as low as 70 knots. Keep in mind, that's a MASSIVE stabilizer moving back there and can move a lot of air. Low-speed tail strikes are definitely a thing.

Yeah. And there might be an aerodynamic interaction between the fuselage or even the engines which can produce some sort of pitching moment when you're rolling down the runway.

Watch the video below, I am able to touch the nozzles on the ground without touching the stick at all. No stick, no pitch movements, just brakes and MAX AB.

What do you think about this Yo-Yo? :)

Yeah, nozzles touch runway easily

track:

full internal

full gun

centerline tank

full AA load

full pitch trim forward!

full stick forward state!!

without flaps!!!

+full AB

time: 8h23m

Rctrl+ENTER view active in cockpit

I also need official explanation to this.

2,5,3,23225_m29_pfm_pg_blowTyresBug0.trk

GTX 1070 8GB, 16GB DDR3, W8.1 on SSD, DCS on another SSD

You are not rotating, you are decelerating

while keeping nose high.

Try the opposite. Try to rotate at 70 knots from zero speed.

Yes. I hadn't show take off rotate video for you. But you can try it in game. In fact it can be rotate at 65 knots with full fuel. So, is that right?

And sorry for my poor english. By rotation I mean the front landing gear is off the ground.

Edited by Xtan

I agree! The 29 still has a strange behavior: positive pitch authority is pretty high. That also leads to the early rotation at low speeds (for rotation speed CG in relation to gear position is important, too: Your plane rotates at 0 airspeed if its behind the main landing gear :smilewink:).

In opposition there is very low negative pitch authority. To fly inverted straight and level you need to trim forward a lot. Stick pressure alone is not sufficient. At high speed over 1000 km/h, even full forward trim doesn't keep the nose from pitching up.Not sure this behavior is correct for the 29.

And rudder authority is much too high as well. The birds butt shakes hell with only little input (nearly no rudder movement can be seen in external view). Oddly this effect is getting stronger with higher speed, where aerodynamic stability should usually rise more than aerodynamic control surface authority.

Some things should be checked and reviewed:

- planes center of gravity (CG)

- planes center of pressure (CP) ando it's movement in relation to airspeed

- planes general stability for the yaw and pitch axes

-

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

System: Windows 10 Pro | i9 9900K | 32GB RAM (3200 MHz) | RTX-2080s | SSD

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware: TM Warthog | MFG Rudder Pedals | 4x TM Cougar MFD | Saitek Switch Panel | Trackir5 | VR: Rift S / Monitor: 31,5" WQHD, G-Sync

Well the Manual is warning about that:

RLuWShk.jpg

UQbISZi.jpg

The only unusual thing I see here is the thing with the intake duct. The rest is common for most other planes.

-

Hardware: TM Warthog | MFG Rudder Pedals | 4x TM Cougar MFD | Saitek Switch Panel | Trackir5 | VR: Rift S / Monitor: 31,5" WQHD, G-Sync

What's wrong with the intakes? The fact that they close on the ground? Completely normal...

I think he's referring to the nose lowering tendency as they open and thrust increases.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

What's wrong with the intakes?

I think what he meant was that the take-off effects described in the manual would apply to most aircraft - except the one concerning opening of the solid FOD doors.

The fact that they close on the ground? Completely normal...

..for the MiG-29 yes, but not for other aircraft types :)

JJ

I think he's referring to the nose lowering tendency as they open and thrust increases.

Correct. Don't know what Vitormouraa was reading.

-

I think with the PFM modification ED tries to make Cobra-like maneuvers possible with the 29, but messes up the behavior in the normal flight envelope.

-