Changing the defaults for Countermeasures

sobe

On page 161 of Chuck's guide on countermeasures-chaff and flares, it states:

You can modify which program is used by either AFT or FWD Dispense by clicking on the STEP OSB.

I am not sure how this works if you want the AFT default to be say #2 and the FWD default to be say #3.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

Maybe the game is dulling my mind. Could someone give me a step by step example of changing default 1 to say default 3.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

AFAIK you have to manually change the programs to match the one you wish to be the number 1 and number 5 programs so if you want number 3 for number 1, just match 1 to 3. Unfortunately I don't remember the buttons to press off the top of my head.

Cheers!

First off, make sure you're in MAN (i.e. manual) mode on the top of the MFD (centre button I think) but using the MODE button on the bottom left.

FWD on the throttle always runs program 5 and can't be changed.

To change the AFT program use the 'STEP' button on the EW MFD to select programs 1 through 5.

(I think, all the above is off top of my head as at work)

Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 @ 3600MHz | Gigabyte X570-Aorus Ultra | Gigabyte GeForce 4090 | Samsung C34F791 | Varjo Aero | Windows 10 Pro x64 | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | too many flight controllers...

It is possible to change the default setting in one of the LUA files. I have terrible short term memory so cant remember the name of the file. Downside is you have to change it after each update, upside is when you get into combat and you forgot to change the defaults in game, you drop 10 flares in one go, and are out.

Edit: The name of the file you would change is CMDS_ALE47.lua.

Under the F-18 Mods > Script > Cockpit or something like that it is in the TWSA folder. Again names are probably wrong but it will get you close enough to find the file.

Edited by TechRoss

It is possible to change the default setting in one of the LUA files. I have terrible short term memory so cant remember the name of the file. Downside is you have to change it after each update, upside is when you get into combat and you forgot to change the defaults in game, you drop 10 flares in one go, and are out.

Under the F-18 Mods > Script > Cockpit or something like that it is in the TWSA folder. Again names are probably wrong but it will get you close enough to find the file.

:thumbup:

Cheers!

Will I still pass the Server integrity check when modifying this .lua?

you will pass integrity check fine by modifying this file.

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Mods\aircraft\FA-18C\Cockpit\Scripts\TEWS\device\CMDS_ALE47.lua

I just copy and paste in the below which is my own presets. I need to do this after every patch.

-- Default manual presets

-- MAN 1 - A2A Flare

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1] = {}

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1]["chaff"] = 0

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1]["flare"] = 2

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1]["intv"] = 0.5

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_1]["cycle"] = 2

-- MAN 2 - A2G Flare

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2] = {}

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2]["chaff"] = 0

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2]["flare"] = 1

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2]["intv"] = 1.5

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_2]["cycle"] = 5

-- MAN 3

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3] = {}

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3]["chaff"] = 2

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3]["flare"] = 2

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3]["intv"] = 1.0

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_3]["cycle"] = 5

-- MAN 4

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4] = {}

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4]["chaff"] = 2

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4]["flare"] = 2

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4]["intv"] = 0.5

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_4]["cycle"] = 10

-- MAN 5 - A2A Chaff

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5] = {}

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5]["chaff"] = 2

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5]["flare"] = 0

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5]["intv"] = 1.0

programs[ProgramNames.MAN_5]["cycle"] = 4

"To change the AFT program use the 'STEP' button on the EW MFD to select programs 1 through 5."

But how does the Hotas know that AFT is now program 2 and not 1?

I have my Modified "DMDS_ALE47.lua" file on my desktop. After every update I drop it into the D/DCSWorld OpenBeta/ MODS/Aircraft/FA18C/Cockpit/scripts/TEWS/Device.

I've shortcutted my TEWS folder so it's just a open, drag and drop.

No issues with the integrity checks.

"There is an art … to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

https://www.cag-51.org/contact

Zyll

"It will say at the top of your RWR [sic EW]screen "Man 1" or "Man 2" up to "Man 5" if you are running with your presets. Whatever it says is the program that the aft button will activate."

Thanks Zyll. Finally someone gave me the correct answer to my perhaps confusing question. Tried it and it works.

PS: I am using your suggested programs but changed #5 and added program 6 to the change list but used 10 reps and not 20 reps.

Edited by sobe

• 4 years later...
21 hours ago, shazam253 said:

Sorry for digging out the old topic, but wouldn't it be possible to put it as a script in the user files, instead of going to overwrite it every update?

There's a can of worms question.  There are a few things that might be possible to put in user files that would make updates more pleasant, but based on behavior ED doesn't consider it a priority.

• Like 1