thinking about VR

Badger1815

Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a VR for my system, but i'm pretty new to it.

Is there a clear preference atm between Vive (pro) or Oculus Rift?

Any other good options?

Here are my specs atm;

CPU: Intel i7-4770 K @3.5 Ghz

GPU: Asus GeForce Turbo GTX1080 8G

RAM: 32GB DDR3 DIMM 1600 MHz

Game is on a dedicated 500 Gb SSD, W10 on its own 256 SSD drive.

Thanks in advance!

do it, you'll love it. I've never flown 2D, since getting my Rift. that was 14 months ago or so...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

What follows in only my opinion, and my opinion only...

The Rift - Hands Down!

:thumbup:

I have been flying with my Oculus Rift since Jan 15th 2017. I am retired and I have been using this thing pretty much daily since getting it. It rocks, and I have not had one moment of issue with it. The price is very reasonable also.

Plus those Touch Controllers - the best in VR currently. Yeah you just "think" flying DCS is all you will want to do in VR. I thought that also, till I had the Touch Controllers in hand and found out what I could do along with some of the amazing Touch supported games.

BTW DCS supports the Oculus Touch Controllers also, granted it is early stages in implementation but can be fun to use for say starting up the engine.

The resolution? meh, for me at least the immersion so far outweighed it I was never really bothered by it. That is not to say I don't look forward to future technology with higher resolution, but I want more than just that for my next VR product. So I will continue to enjoy the Rift until that comes along.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I don't really play other games than DCS. I'd like to use it with the HOTAS. Are the controllers useful in dsc?

No dcs doesnt use the controllers, stick with the HOTAS

I have had every Oculus device and it has never let me down, the CV1 is a great bit of kit, the only advice I can give is get the "VR Leather Cover" set for £20, It will make the rift feel a lot more comfortable when wearing for long periods

Water cooled i9-9900K | Maximus Code XI MB | RTX3090  | 64GB | HP Reverb G2 

I don't really play other games than DCS. I'd like to use it with the HOTAS. Are the controllers useful in dsc?

As I mentioned earlier, Oculus Touch controllers are supported in DCS.

They can be fun to use, for things like starting up the aircraft.

You certainly would not want to try and use whilst flying with your HOTAS.

On autopilot maybe when no need to be moving stick, could flip some switches.

Alternatively, you can also assign your mouse left click, right click, scroll left and scroll right to buttons on your HOTAS to control the VR cursor for manipulating controls. Assign a button for mouse click, will generate the VR cursor - look at the switch or button you want to manipulate, and use the HOTAS buttons you assigned to do so. You can assign these buttons to manipulate the VR cursor in the UI layer of the controller setup menu.

I use this method quite a bit actually.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

• 1 month later...
Black friday & my Oculus rift came along, total game changer

thanks for all the info.

:thumbup:

Indeed it is, have fun!!!

Don B

Black friday & my Oculus rift came along, total game changer

thanks for all the info.

Great to hear, and glad you're enjoying it! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I originally had the Rift, but bought the Vive Pro recently. I would say, if you can afford it, the latter is way better. The big increase in resolution makes a much more immersive experience and it is more comfortable to wear.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box