2.5.3.23225 Rne

backspace340

The Rne indicator is meant to represent the range at which, if you fire, your missile is capable of reaching the enemy (even if they turn 180deg and run directly away). The current indicator in the Hornet does not seem to be accurately representing this range - in the attached tracks (taken in OB 2.5.3.23225), I fire a set of missiles at fairly regular intervals, all within Rne but only the missiles fired at the very end (from within 4nm) actually reach the target, the rest fall short with no energy. I tried both with lofting and without to see if that made a difference - it seemed slightly better without lofting (but still 4 of the missiles I fired within Rne didn't get anywhere near the target). The target has no chaff and was painted with my radar the entire time.

aim7s.trk

aim7snoloft.trk

And take into account that classified information might be involved, So get ready that many of your very specific questions will not be answered.

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

And take into account that classified information might be involved, So get ready that many of your very specific questions will not be answered.

Didn't have any questions tbh - I made this in the bug section (no idea why it's been moved here), not sure what classified information would need to be involved as it's a publicly available concept, the indicator just needs adjusting. Other modules have more accurate Rne/DLZ indicators.

I have also fired AAM within the Rne, and on replaying on TacView it is clear that the target often seems to turn and out-runs, rather than evades, the missile. It could be that I am doing something else to cause this, but I cannot think what it might be.

I too have fired AIM-120C's at Mig 29 and J-11 players as well as MIG-21 AI aircraft in Multiplayer where they were totally defensive and running directly away within Rne and the missiles would not get to them until I was within about 4-5 miles. I was in an F18.

i7-8700K (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.6GHz) 32 GB DDR4 XMP @ 2933MHz, GTX 1080Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5X, Windows 10 Pro, 256GB SSD, TM Warthog Stick & Throttle, TM TPR Pedals, TrackIR5

I was wondering something similar with regards to the AIM-7 in the Offensive OCA mission (the final mission) in the F/A-18 mini-campaign. I had initially wondered of the "SHOOT!" cue was being given prematurely, before hitting Rne, as the missiles appeared to be burning out and unable to maneuver about halfway to the target. On the other hand, I was also using Loft mode, so that could be part of it.

I also don't think that classified info comes into play here, and not only because the AIM-7 is fairly outdated. Regardless of what the real Rmax and Rne of the AIM-7, presumably DCS has a set of thrust, drag, etc variables, and it simulates the onboard computer's logic for when this implementation of the AIM-7 reaches whatever the Rmax and Rne are for this implementation of the AIM-7, regardless of how that compares to the real version. So the question here has nothing to do with the real AIM-7 (although I would assume that DCS implements it fairly realistically), but rather the question is why the F/A-18 is showing an enemy aircraft as being within Rne, only to have the missile run out of maneuvering range before reaching the target.

The problem may be in the behavior of the AIM-7, or it could be in the behavior of the radar, or the DLZ calculations, or probably several other factors that I wouldn't know about (in my experience, the bug is always in the place that is the least intuitively obvious, because computers derive sustenance from the frustrated screams of overworked coders). Or the problem could be entirely in our expectations of how it should work. I do remember someone pointing out, in response to unrealistic expectation of Pk, that "there's a reason why they're called missiles and not hittiles".

I don't think all the missiles have been updated?

DCS 2.5.3.22652 Open Beta

AIM-9M/L major FM update. Adjusted lift and drag curves, motor performance, DLZ

Internally, the AIM-7 and AIM-120 versions now have the improved navigation system. Additionally, the internal AIM-7M now has several significant changes like corrected motor thrust-altitude dependence based on nozzle exit area and atmosphere pressure, adjusted drag and lift curves based on wind tunnel test data, and other changes.

We are now carefully testing these changes before we release and move to all AIM-7 and AIM-120 versions.

Also today internally, AIM-9X tracking was increased to 90 HOBS and flare rejection improved. It's a monster.

Thanks Link to post

One of the big problems was the navigation systems/missile logic, it was turning to much at distance causing to much drag when a target was defending.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It's probably just that they have to update their DLZ calculations for the new missile FM/guidance adjustments. So it's not a bug, rather a TBD (to be done) task that is in their future plans.

This. I think. As far as I can tell the 7M/120 have been updated. It's likely the DLZ that doesn't fit (or maybe it's not entirely accurate in RL either?).

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

I'd assume when the time on the right side of the HUD which appears after launch switches from counting down from ACT (Which is the countdown until the missle goes active and is Pitbull) and switches to TTG (Time To Go) which is time until impact.

i7-8700K (6 Core, 12MB Cache, 4.6GHz) 32 GB DDR4 XMP @ 2933MHz, GTX 1080Ti w/ 11GB GDDR5X, Windows 10 Pro, 256GB SSD, TM Warthog Stick & Throttle, TM TPR Pedals, TrackIR5

I'd assume when the time on the right side of the HUD which appears after launch switches from counting down from ACT (Which is the countdown until the missle goes active and is Pitbull) and switches to TTG (Time To Go) which is time until impact.

+1

Check in the lower left corner of your HUD when ACT count to 0 and switch to TTG

Got it! Thanks.

On your radar screen you can also se an A next to the missile meaning its active

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf