MT-50 with TMW - cannot calibrate

Joe Lighty

Hi guys - have posted on the Virpil Support forum, have had no luck sorting this - the forum there is not regularly frequented at the moment - to be fair, I've only been chasing some help for 48 hours or so there. Seems to be more activity here and plenty of brains!

Anyway, recently received an T-50 base and have mounted my TMW stick on it.

Originally worked fine, except the axes were reversed - from the Virpil Forum Seb pointed me to the Inversion setting within the Axis settings - fixed that but now, for some reason, my x axis is permanently at 100% - raw value reads approx 58630 all the time at centre.

Full left is 55799

Full right counts up from 58630 (centre) through 60000/0 and then up to 1650.

No matter how much I try to recalibrate, the centre is reporting at approx 58630.

Have tried factory reset and no luck.

At one stage it seemed to lose track of what PCB version it was - I think I've correctly chosen PCBv5 - but given the stick is only weeks old, shouldn't I have the latest?? Drop down option for PCBv6???

As an aside, I'm not a guru at this stuff, but I'm not stupid either.

This software is the most counter-intuitive stuff I've come across!

Any help would be appreciated as I'm grounded at the moment!!

Email Cyph3r.

support@virpil.com

He is very good and usually quick to reply. I had troubles updating my firmware for my T-50 and he got me hooked up quickly via TeamSpeak.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Forums tend to be there for users to help users or throwing ideas around.

When I have contacted Virpil support I have so far gotten a reply next working day.

i7 8700k @ 4.7, 32GB 2900Mhz, 1080ti, CV1

Virpil MT-50\Delta, MFG Crosswind, Warthog Throttle, Virptil Mongoost-50 throttle.

• 2 weeks later...

I seem to have the same problem.

I am mailing this to support:

I seem to have a a serious problem with my sensors.

I have a T-50 base and a Warthog grip.

When using the VPC config tool, I load up the profile, get 'SYNC'. After that, I calibrate axes. The sliders are initially bouncing all over the place, but after calibration, they settle down on the center and I press 'Set center and save profile'.

All good so far.

However, when in DCS, these values are not centered at all. My stick is pulling maximum left from the get go, and the plane is unflyable.

I used Windows 'Setup USB controllers' calibration before, and managed to get it working for some time. I was later informed that I should never do this.

Therefore I went to 'USB controllers' and pressed "Reset to default" before trying to calibrate with 'VPC config tool'.

Is the controller whacked because I have used the windows calibration? WHat do I have to do to get it reset and get a proper calibration going?

When using the VPC config tool, I load up the profile, get 'SYNC'. After that, I calibrate axes. The sliders are initially bouncing all over the place, but after calibration, they settle down on the center and I press 'Set center and save profile'.

After that you also have to make "Step 3: Save Device Profile".

I seem to have the same problem.

I am mailing this to support:

I seem to have a a serious problem with my sensors.

I have a T-50 base and a Warthog grip.

All good so far.

However, when in DCS, these values are not centered at all. My stick is pulling maximum left from the get go, and the plane is unflyable.

Yep, same issue for me - what is your raw output on the x axis on your axis screen in VPC config tool?

Nothing I do seems to fix it - always reading around 58630.

Looking forward to some word on a fix...

It's all laid out pretty simply in the manual - Page 7.

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I've also had a bit of a win here - but the result is that I can only calibrate with the x-axis "OFFSET" set to "TRUE" - what does this mean, the manual does not expand?

I really don't find this software intuitive at all...

Also, what PCB version should I be using? I think it was originally on V06, but now appears to be on V05 - I can't remember changing it... Also, my T50 is only a few weeks old - wouldn't it be a newer PCB (eg V07???)

Thanks - this at least lets me know that V5 is the latest for the T-50 base.

Keep in mind that the picture might not show all existing PCB versions.

On my MongoosT-50 base I did not touch the PCB setting (in VPC Configuration Tool) and the "Device PCB" is listed as "VPC.CNT.V06".

nkCIuRh.jpg

BOOT.jpg.0d2c435e885849573c449342d69633f6.jpg

You motivated me to have a closer look - and with some bright sunlight (vs the dimly lit room when I last checked) you can indeed see that V05 is printed on the PCB.

Note the only difference is the presence of the white plug receivers on the PCB.

Obviously a tad disappointed that my "new" T-50 has a slightly older PCB - though that probably explains the rust on the springs, cams and rollers...

I am aware PCBs are often updated for manufacturing efficiency reasons, not necessarily to improve anything about the unit's performance, but then, who knows in this case!

Anyway, as per what Swine said, it SHOULD be easy to quote the serial number to Virpil and them to respond definitively with what version PCB you have - this has not been my experience...

To recap on where I'm at with my T-50 and WH combo:

I can now calibrate, but only if I allow the "OFFSET" value to auto-select - the raw values for "centre" for x and y axes are different, but it seems to work ok. I'd really like to know more about WHY this happens, it didn't occur when I first got the base and I'm trying to find out why this situation has eventuated.

I should add that VIRPIL are assisting me via their Support network, but it is a bit of a trickle feed of info, sporadically every three days or so and has so far resulted in me returning with further questions that then take another 3 days to respond to.

I love the T-50 for its gimbal and smoothness/accuracy, but I've still got a way to go to make it right. I intend to write up a full review with photos etc when this is all sorted!!!

Thanks again to Seb for his extensive efforts to help others like me with this - really good of you to take the time to disassemble your own unit and photograph the PCB - cheers!

Edited by Joe Lighty

I have a V07 in my T-50 base. The PCB is blue instead of green. Version print was a bit hard to find, it's hidden behind a cable. It is between the Virpil logo and the right USB connector, below A5/A6.

I got it on October 19th restock.

Edited by Tuwar