HUD airspeed seems slightly off?

Nealius

Something is strange with my airspeed indications when working from the Tarawa. I have the Tarawa steaming 360° at 15kts, with a 360° wind at 6kts. Thus my airspeed indication on the deck should read 21kts. Instead it reads 19kts. When I come up along side the Tarawa for landing, and I set up for 19kts as my HUD indicated on the deck, the Tarawa outruns me, and I need something like 22-23kts to stabilize and land. I don't understand why I'm not getting a proper reading of 21kts.

ЗДРАВСТВУЙТЕ У МЕНЯ ПОСЛЕ ПЕРЕНОСА ЛИЦЕНЗИИ НА НОВЫЙ КОМПЬЮТЕР ПРОПАЛ HUD НА AV8B ОТ СЛОВА СОВСЕМ ПРОШУ ПОМОЧЬ МНЕ В ЭТОЙ ПРОБЛЕМЕ.

Maybe im wrong but i think the HUD shows KIAS, calibrated air speed, thus the slight variation.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

What was the temperature?

And were you sure the ship was doing the speed you thought it was?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift

KIAS is indicated. KCAS is calibrated. I know there's a difference but don't fully understand how that difference manifests itself.

And were you sure the ship was doing the speed you thought it was?

Yes. F9 view showed 15kts. Temp was around 29 or 30C.

I also noticed that my GS displayed in the HUD doesn't seem right. Flying 90ft off the waves was showing a GS almost 30kts different than my airspeed indication. Being that low, they should be nearly the same, or at least within 5kts considering wind conditions in that mission.

Looking at your example again, the airspeed was correct. Your airspeed indicator will show your speed plus wind. That's why you can see that on deck as well.

Your groundspeed should match the ships speed

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift