RN 24

Satarosa

• 1 month later...

Try this:

300px-Overtheshoulderbomb.jpg

You dont need to be accurate with these weapons and this can give you the opportunity to escape. Ingress fast and low, pull up hard just as the target passes under you, release just after you pass vertical, then bug out AFAP. Keep your height as this increases distance between you and the burst.

I would recommend to first make it stop destroying the plane that deployed it

Some might say a drag chute and survivability are linked somehow.

Some also might say that a nuke being a danger to the delivery aircraft is realistic.

Edited by p1t1o

Did you actually try that yourself with the RN-24? Because that looks pretty much like my last try with it and it still killed me. Actually I have not once been able to use the 24 without exploding, while ground damage was minimal. The RN-28 is a different story though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Try this:

300px-Overtheshoulderbomb.jpg

You dont need to be accurate with these weapons and this can give you the opportunity to escape. Ingress fast and low, pull up hard just as the target passes under you, release just after you pass vertical, then bug out AFAP. Keep your height as this increases distance between you and the burst.

Some might say a drag chute and survivability are linked somehow.

Some also might say that a nuke being a danger to the delivery aircraft is realistic.

Like this, you mean.

10 km is the official safe distance required.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

Did you actually try that yourself with the RN-24? Because that looks pretty much like my last try with it and it still killed me. Actually I have not once been able to use the 24 without exploding, while ground damage was minimal. The RN-28 is a different story though.

To be honest Ive tried both weapons and been blown up by both, but had best results with the technique shown.

@Holbeach

Have you tried staying at altitude and turning off-axis (or split-S and carry on in direction of ingress whilst bomb flies "over the shoulder") on egress? The bomb is chasing (travelling laterally in the same direction as your escape) you in the video and you spend time and distance by hitting the deck on the way out. You're faster up high and the bomb is, again, following you down. And vertically slanted flightpath takes longer to cover more ground distance, it can add up.

The only other option is high alt level bombing.

One should note that during the cold war, there were some missions that were not really expected to come back, this isnt *necessarily* a realism problem.

Another good example are nuclear torpedos that existed during the cold war, they were basically suicide for the launching sub.

Edited by p1t1o

@Holbeach

Have you tried staying at altitude and turning off-axis (or split-S and carry on in direction of ingress whilst bomb flies "over the shoulder") on egress? The bomb is chasing (travelling laterally in the same direction as your escape) you in the video and you spend time and distance by hitting the deck on the way out. You're faster up high and the bomb is, again, following you down. And vertically slanted flightpath takes longer to cover more ground distance, it can add up.

The only other option is high alt level bombing.

The profile I'm flying is taken directly from the Mig 21 manual.

Dive at 30 deg to increase speed. The US uses 45 deg.

The big giveaway, is the instantaneous destruction, which is impossible.

In fact at this distance, 7 nm, the jet is actually flying faster than the pressure wave and is therefore outrunning it. 10 km is the manuals safe distance requirement.

" The only other option is high alt level bombing"

Do you mean, like this.

And, yes, I did try various directions of exit, but you can't beat instant bug death.

Edited by Holbeach

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..

I have a technique that works very well that allows to drop the RN24 bomb with a precision of more or less 1 km of walking, and a probability of dying with the bomb 25%

The problem is that on a real wartime simulation server the technique remains extremely difficult to execute without being intercepted. Moreover the outcome is uncertain since we have 25% probability of dying with the bomb, it is not entitled to any score

So the incorporation of the parachute for the RN24 nuclear bomb version is mandatory for playable gameplay

Edited by Satarosa

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

Real War, Voice Chat: https://discord.gg/UGa3KMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The big giveaway, is the instantaneous destruction, which is impossible.

Well this is easily explained, but its no help.

DCS have made it known that they will not ever include nuclear weapons in DCS.

The MiG21 devs shoehorned in this weapon as a simulation-within-a-simulation as an illustrative, low-fidelity, tool. More for curiosity and completeness than fidelity.

So DCS does not (cannot?) simulate shockwaves or EMP or Mach effect etc.

So it causes insta death within a radius instead. Its not a bug, its just that nukes are not supported by the engine and this is an intentionally incomplete feature, I doubt a fix will be forthcoming. Personally Im glad to have them rather than not, if only to have a reason for certain tactics.

There is also a lack of a timed delay on the detonation - which certainly would be a feature on these weapons as they are rated for release down to 500m, and certainly western "lay-down" weapons did.

Pretend that the EMP is trashing your plane, early aircraft like this unlikely to be specially "hardened" (though I have no data here).

I swear to god I escaped both types before, havnt flown the 21 in a while, Ill try some more testing.

And, yes, I did try various directions of exit, but you can't beat instant bug death.

I hope so because in that video the bomb is again following you...quite fast

I saw that max seperation in the vid was about 16km? What has been your best max seperation that you have achieved, do you know?

Im intrigued now, I'll see if I can come up with anything, just getting back into DCS after a long hiatus. (man, I am SO over "early access")

Again have you ever dropped a RN-24 without exploding? No? Then do not try to convince us it is working as it should. Even if it is not a fully moduled nuke, it should atleast be usable as in the real procedures, which it currently is not as the blast radius is well above what it should be.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"I saw that max seperation in the vid was about 16km? What has been your best max seperation that you have achieved, do you know?"

Yes. Testing with drones, show the boundary to be 12 nm.

By pure coincidence, this bomb stopped working correctly when Magnitude took over and by pure coincidence, I have another video to illustrate, which includes ground destructive distances of US equipment and no vertical destruction before that takeover. .

Edited by Holbeach

Again have you ever dropped a RN-24 without exploding? No? Then do not try to convince us it is working as it should. Even if it is not a fully moduled nuke, it should atleast be usable as in the real procedures, which it currently is not as the blast radius is well above what it should be.

I actually cannot confirm that I havn't, annoying no? But thats life :music_whistling:

Rather than add to the chorus of "its brooooken" I have been taking a different tack, you?

2xfuel, 1x RN24

Approaching at 30ish kft, run in at 600kts, 4g pull up, release at 45 degrees pitch, wing-over and egress away from target area at max speed, maintain height.

Weapon tops out at 45ish kft and impacts roughly 10nm from release point.

MiG21 is roughly 25nm from point of impact at detonation.

Aircraft survived, but my engine did stop for some reason, I could have oversped but it was almost exactly on detonation.

nuketrack.trk

2xfuel, 1x RN24

Approaching at 30ish kft, run in at 600kts, 4g pull up, release at 45 degrees pitch, wing-over and egress away from target area at max speed, maintain height.

Weapon tops out at 45ish kft and impacts roughly 10nm from release point.

MiG21 is roughly 25nm from point of impact at detonation.

Aircraft survived, but my engine did stop for some reason, I could have oversped but it was almost exactly on detonation.

This was my old tactic for release the RN24, about 20% chance to die with the bomb and 50% to broke motor..

Now I use the hight altitude combined with RSBN radial for best results, but no enought to be safe with each drop.. Sommes still die with the bomb lol

Real War, Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs1uki5QsyuHUdvtmWJTOg?view_as=subscriber

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The nuclear weapon delivery

The nuclear weapon delivery> / RN-24 / RN-28 /

Speed: 650 km/H, Horizontally Alti 10000m, at a distance of 15 km from the target put full AFB for get max speed, then at the distance of 13km from the target drop the bomb! Perfom Split S (without losing speed) and maintain a high decent angle in the direction opposite to the fall of the atomic bomb, to quickly get and maintain the speed of 1300 Km/H... (Using RSBN Radial for get the heading and distance of your Target)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Did it have a brake chute irl?

To the best of my knowledge, neither the RN-24 nor the RN-28 were ever fitted with a drag chute.

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

To the best of my knowledge, neither the RN-24 nor the RN-28 were ever fitted with a drag chute.

The in game RN28 isn't animated as such, but it does slow down on descent, as if retarded and hits the ground around 300 kts. By intent or bug, these bombs are noware near as good as they use to be.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nobody is going to make things up in a manual that will result in a very expensive-to-train pilot dying for no reason. The problem isn't that the manual is intentionally hiding some awful truth about nuclear weapons employment (it isn't), the problem is that DCS doesn't model explosions particularly well or in much detail, and the bigger the explosion, the worse this problem is. The RN-24 happens to make a fairly sizeable explosion, of course.