Vive Pro (vs. Oculus Rift) Future Proofing

obious

I'm sure this has been debated a few times but I'm yet to come across some reviews/comments on this forum (if anyone is aware of a thread, please just post it) for the Vive Pro. Frooglesim has a video in which he speaks very highly of which I've seen however.

Long story short, I had to return my Rift today to Amazon as the left headphone stopped working. As some people may notice from other threads I've started, I recently tried to give the Samsung Odyssey a go but kept getting eye misalignment issues so I've returned that as well.

The question really boils down to this: is the Vive Pro that much clearer than the Oculus and is it overall that much better as Frooglesim says?

The reason I ask is that since I returned the Rift, I'm thinking of putting the cash towards the Vive Pro System. Also, I plan on getting a Pimax 5k+ and since I'll need to buy base stations for that (and maybe controllers), I see the purchase something of a 'future proofing' scenario. I should also mention that I have no patience and don't want to wait until some vague time early next year when Pimax starts shipping pre-orders for the payment they're taking today.

Thanks!

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

*IF* you plan on getting the Pimax 5K+, I don't know if Vive Pro makes a lot of sense. It's a lot of money for the same resolution and clarity as Odyssey. Maybe try the Odyssey+ that just came out?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

I would have just got another Rift and be done with it.

It really is hard to beat currently.

Great price and a great setup.

Used mine flying today off and on for about 6 hours, great fun.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have both Obious and the Vive Pro has better resolution but you must run it at lower pixel density (PD) settings. For example, I try to run the max System Options settings I can get away with and maintain above 30 FPS. If I set almost everything to the highest setting but MSAA, I can only run the Vive Pro with a PD of about 1.7 versus the Oculus Rift with the exact same settings at a PD of about 2.2, on one RTX 2080 Ti card. In the end, they are almost exactly dead equal. Now, if we had graphics card power with plenty of overhead and could run both headsets at a Pixel Density of 2.5, then the Vive Pro would be the clear winner. But we can't and we will not be able to until either the VR manufacturers implement SLI in their software or until Nvidia releases their next generation of cards perhaps in 2020 or so.

With the resolution being roughly the same on both devices (even though PD is different), is the text not any clearer on the Vive Pro? One would imagine it would since there's physically more pixels to look at?

*IF* you plan on getting the Pimax 5K+, I don't know if Vive Pro makes a lot of sense. It's a lot of money for the same resolution and clarity as Odyssey. Maybe try the Odyssey+ that just came out?

I think you're right but I live in the UK. It was hard enough getting the Odyssey here from Amazon and having to send it back is making it even worse. Surely with the Pimax I'd have to source base stations from somewhere? I was thinking of selling the Vive Pro after I got the 5k+

Intel 12900k @ 5.2Ghz, RTX 4090, Samsung 1TB NVME, Thrustmaster Warthog & F-18 stick, Pendular Rudder Pedals - Quest Pro

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

With the resolution being roughly the same on both devices (even though PD is different), is the text not any clearer on the Vive Pro? One would imagine it would since there's physically more pixels to look at?

I think you're right but I live in the UK. It was hard enough getting the Odyssey here from Amazon and having to send it back is making it even worse. Surely with the Pimax I'd have to source base stations from somewhere? I was thinking of selling the Vive Pro after I got the 5k+

You could sell the VivePro, but you'll keep the base. So that may diminish the value of the resale. But if cost is not a huge factor (doesn't sound like it is), keeping Vive Pro for now, and using the Pimax5K+ with the Vive lighthouse stations makes sense.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Defo for future proofing I would go with the Vive pro. How long of a future that will be I don't know but as others have pointed out, at present the technology still hasn't propely caught up with the demands of the headset itself and most people can't rock it to it's full potential.

That might depend on GPU but I got a feeling with DCS the software itself is going to make a breakthough soon. Even the shader mod shows there are optimizations that can be made, so I can only imagine Vulkan will be a huge improvement.

I also would get a vive pro because although theres nothing much out there at the moment if you've tried some of the stand up VR experiences you'll have seen they have enormous potential. Nothing really gets close to the immersion or terror (if horror game) of room scale VR! Those experiences were you interact with the enviroment with haptic feedback really do feel as if you are there.

The tracking system and light houses are much better for the Vive but also the lighthouses stand a good chance of being usable in the future and not just with the VIVE itself.

VIVE just got motion smoothing but this also causes propeller and other nasty graphical artifacts which make it at present useless for me and I think if the devs don't fix this it will be a waste of effort.

Thankfully it can be turned off!

If these are the prop artifacts people talk about getting with the rift then I have to say I am glad I don't have one, as I really do need reprojection personally, and couldn't live with the artifacts.

Not sure if the rift has an alternative method of reprojection that enables one to turn it off and play, perhaps someone else can chime in here, and explain this. I know people play without reprojection on the Rift but I cant really understand it as no reprojection on the VIVE is awful. I would say they must be just immune to judder, but realistically there must I think be some sort of technology behind their ability to play with RJ off!

Does anybody know how it is possible to play the rift with no reprojection or time warp or whatever you call it, and still get a smooth experience when this is not possible on the VIVE? Are oculus using a method similar to the Vive itself perhaps but people don't realize it?

That's just me personally OP. I also just don't like Occulus/facebook so I could be a bit biased, but for future proofing as the OP asks, I would vote VIVE pro!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Does SteamVR not have ASW of sorts (which I thought the HTC Vive uses)?

Yes, not sure if rift users use that one though. I think those who turn off ASW turn everything off, including steam VR.

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Yes, not sure if rift users use that one though. I think those who turn off ASW turn everything off, including steam VR.

It is not ASW, but another form - some kind of reprojection. It was not quite as good, believe they have introduced something new into the beta that should be better.

For the Rift of course, I use Oculus ASW - well sometimes, at least I set it off for my flight sims. I prefer it off, no graphical glitches and still get smooth performance.

I don't use any Steam VR settings for my Rift, in fact if IL-2 had native Oculus Support I would not even have it on my system.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

It is not ASW, but another form - some kind of reprojection. It was not quite as good, believe they have introduced something new into the beta that should be better.

It's not better at the moment IMO. The artifacts ruin it and I'd rather have the default reprojection, especially with the shader mod. Still not sure how rift users are able to get a smooth experience without any reprojection though as on the vive its a total judder fest if I do that!

------------

As I mentioned in my first post, I briefly tried the Odyssey before I sent it back but before I did I gave it a quick test in DCS. My hope was to play around with SteamVR enough to somehow cause the double vision issue I was getting to disappear. Long story short, I wasn’t able to but it did lead me to one question: WTH are with will the different settings in SteamVR under the Develper tab? MS, reprojection, etc

With the oculus it was relatively straight forward, ASW is either off or on (of maybe at some setting in between). I did play around with some of these settings but largely they caused a lot of jitters and overall wasn’t as smooth as the Oculus

AV8B N/A UFC Build Log

AV8B N/A PCBs for sale

It's not better at the moment IMO. The artifacts ruin it and I'd rather have the default reprojection, especially with the shader mod. Still not sure how rift users are able to get a smooth experience without any reprojection though as on the vive its a total judder fest if I do that!

Yeah me neither, but I fly with ASW set to off always and as long as my fps stays at least somewhere between 45-90 fps I am smooth.

Course the Rift, when ASW is disabled, defaults back to ATW (their first method).

Don B