The A-10C drifting (both on runway and in air)

Fred00

Am I the only one having this problem? For quite some time now the A-10C is drifting left or right on the runway when taking off, so much that corrections are needed to not run off the runway. Also, when airborne, trimming is needed instantly to get it to track straight ahead. None of the other modules behave like this. For example the F-18 goes straight down the runway. With the A-10C I can start in air and the plane immediately slowly starts to bank. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Yes, I'm told it's the effect of wind at ground level and altitude. What mission are you running when this happens?

I use nosewheel steering and then rudder to keep straight on the runway (just as I would do IRL when taking off in a crosswind) and I trim in the air.

Windows 10 64bit, Intel Core i5 8600K CPU @ 3.6GHz, 32GB DDR4 2400MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. 500GB SSD (Exclusively for DCS World), Thrustmaster Warthog, Logitech G Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals. Track IR 5 with Pro Clip. Vaicom Pro.

EASA PPL(A), Glider Aerobatics. Modules: A-10C, F/A-18C, F-5E, Mirage 2000C, AV-8B N/A, Yak 52, Flaming Cliffs 3, Heatblur F14B/A, UH-1H Huey, SA342 Gazelle and all but one of the warbirds. Caucuses, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, Channel and Syria.

No problem here. Just flew a mission with the A-10C and it behaves as usual.

Just to be sure about it - are both engines running with the same RPM?

A-10A, A-10C, A-10C II, AV-8B, F-5E, F-16C, F/A-18C, F-86F, Yak-52, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria, Supercarrier, Combined Arms, FW 190 A-8, FW 190 D-9, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, Normandy + WWII Assets Pack

Can you post a track or a video?

It's quite common having to adjust for wind and asymmetric loadout during takeoff by using the pedals.

With no Fly-by-Wire, the A-10C also needs to be trimmed a lot, and my experience is that it is never 100% trimmed for hands-free flight, unless the AP is engaged.

Sounds like what you're experiencing might be perfectly normal, but a track or a video might show if the effects are more pronounced than they should be.

Also, double-check the controller setup, especially the axis-settings. It's not uncommon to have other game controllers assigned to some of the axes, and that might lead to really weird aircraft behavior. ;)

The A-10C requires the pilot to be proactive on the pedals and while airborne.

I generally don't disco the NWS on takeoff until I hit 80+ kts. I always have to trim for roll and pitch after liftoff and continuously feed in some nose-down trim as I accelerate. Every weapon's release requires trim for roll and pitch. Fence In and Fence Out require quite a bit of pitch trim as well. As was mentioned, the Hog is not a "Set It and Forget It" aircraft like the Hornet tends to be.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Thanks for the replies. I tested some more and found the cause of the "problem". Just to be clear, I put the plane on an airfield in the mission editor and use zero wind. What I found is that the plane is extremely sensitive to assymetric load outs. Just a small difference has an impact, For example, if I have the same ordnance on the left and right side, but it's shifted one step to the left (pylon wise) on the left wing, then the plane will slowly creep to the left on the take-off roll. Other load outs with larger difference between left and right make the plane run off the runway within 50-100 yards.

It's nice to see this being modelled, although I'm not sure the real plane is this sensitive to different load outs even before being airborne.

I'm pretty sure this was not modelled when I started to fly the A-10C in late 2014. I first noticed this about a year ago. Also, nowadays it seems very hard to properly trim out the plane for straight and level flight. Harder than it used to be.

I'm pretty sure this was not modelled when I started to fly the A-10C in late 2014. I first noticed this about a year ago. Also, nowadays it seems very hard to properly trim out the plane for straight and level flight. Harder than it used to be.

Can't say I noticed anything out of the ordinary regarding ground handling within that timeframe. Got my Crosswinds in 2014, so maybe I didn't notice changes in ground handling because of the new pedals.

Well, in any case, glad you sorted it out. :thumbup:

Though much less than in prop planes all planes, even big iron require correction to hold centerline and will always require roll correction on climb. You should be able to trim an a-10 for AOA and not touch pitch all the way 18k ft, but it's going to drift left/right.

Relative to other modules the a-10 has much lower wing loading, large vertical control surfaces and windage, so any cross wind effect will be much more pronounced.

just a dude who probably doesn't know what he's talking about

Thanks for the replies. I tested some more and found the cause of the "problem". Just to be clear, I put the plane on an airfield in the mission editor and use zero wind. What I found is that the plane is extremely sensitive to assymetric load outs. Just a small difference has an impact, For example, if I have the same ordnance on the left and right side, but it's shifted one step to the left (pylon wise) on the left wing, then the plane will slowly creep to the left on the take-off roll. Other load outs with larger difference between left and right make the plane run off the runway within 50-100 yards.

It's nice to see this being modelled, although I'm not sure the real plane is this sensitive to different load outs even before being airborne.

I started flying it when it was released, and always noticed what you described. I remember cause I had a real crappy joystick back then, and couldn't take off because it didn't have any axles left to assign rudder control.

for me, if there's any wind / loadout asymmetry, the plane will do what you mentioned both on the runway and when airborne.

with those conditions, there's never a perfect trim even. it will always roll and pitch just slightly, but noticeably over time.

I always assumed that's how it works in the real thing and moved on. guess that's what autopilot is there for, right?

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas