1080TI S Odyssey/ Shimmering/jagged mess

Hello

Got a 1080TI that i bought from a mining rig and ive had the same card before. edit:

AA 4x AF 16x

Shadows high

All textures max

SS 1.3

Thing is i cant quite remember but i really dont think things were this bad before. While i thought ok jaggies AA etc it does not make much difference. Supersampling hardly makes a difference. Its especially apparent on (white) lines. Even when the games is paused the lines/jaggies flickers/shimmers. Trees, yikes. powerlines etc a flickering mess.

Its on text in the menu, you can notice on the side on the menu, Labels in the game and so on. basically on most things.

I got this issue in X plane too some trees are fine, others not.

Tried all kinds of settings in nvidia panel but nothing really makes any difference. same with in game settings. Driver 970.77 in and same on 411.70

While its not so easy to see Ive done a couple of videos, you guys getting this (this bad) ?

Can see it very well when i zoom the vid here.

You can see on the ground here on the upside down image during the video that it kind of jumps a bit

Edited by trigen

1080 ti, i7700k 5ghz, 16gb 3600 cl14 ddr4 oc

Didn't WMR just get the equivalent of ASW on Rift? The shimmering is one of the things that show up when ASW is active in the Rift world. I don't recall what WMR/SteamVR folks call it, off the top of my head.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Maybe back off some of the settings in DCS, I use MSAA @ 4 and PD @ 1.2 (Rift) there is still some jagged lines and artefacts. Some folks drop the MSAA all together and increase PD to 1.5 ~2 that doesn't work for me but as I say it suits some people.

2.5 got a huge performance hit when they locked deferred shading. I generally try to keep GPU at an average of around 60 to 70% utilisation and keep CPU core (the most active one) well below 100 usually around 80% this gives some head room. Also even with a 1080Ti I have to accept 45FPS :cry:

DCS world 2.2.x used to rock with Rift with 90FPS good image quality and using my old 980Ti but I guess thats progress, right. :P

I find the map performance as follows

NTTR Best

Caucasus

PG

Normandy worst

AS I say you need to tweak settings until they work for you as best as possible.

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Didn't WMR just get the equivalent of ASW on Rift? The shimmering is one of the things that show up when ASW is active in the Rift world. I don't recall what WMR/SteamVR folks call it, off the top of my head.

Worth a shot. Tnx

Maybe back off some of the settings in DCS, I use MSAA @ 4 and PD @ 1.2 (Rift) there is still some jagged lines and artefacts. Some folks drop the MSAA all together and increase PD to 1.5 ~2 that doesn't work for me but as I say it suits some people.

2.5 got a huge performance hit when they locked deferred shading. I generally try to keep GPU at an average of around 60 to 70% utilisation and keep CPU core (the most active one) well below 100 usually around 80% this gives some head room. Also even with a 1080Ti I have to accept 45FPS :cry:

DCS world 2.2.x used to rock with Rift with 90FPS good image quality and using my old 980Ti but I guess thats progress, right. :P

I find the map performance as follows

NTTR Best

Caucasus

PG

Normandy worst

AS I say you need to tweak settings until they work for you as best as possible.

Just put it to max setting to see if much difference but there wasn't. Aware of all the rest. Deferred shading was the death of vr performance sadly. Thanks though

Dont know what it is. Wasnt the ASW. Anything white is just constant flicker. white/blackish back and forth. In the menu, in the game. If i put my head really close to the text in the menu it almost disappear.

4x AA and 2x SSA makes it slightly better inside the game but not much. Same flickering in steamvr room, WMR room.

Edited by trigen

No amount of settings in Nvidia software got rid of the shimmering for me. I have to use MSAA in game to get rid of them. It sucks more fps but it's the only way for me to get rid of shimmering/jaggies.

Yeah sadly i can max out everything in game and while better it still flickers quite a lot. No setting will get rid of it and i got the same on internal graphic card. Looks like a windows issue but the install is 2 weeks old.

Edited by trigen

Thing is I get it everywhere. Shadows only matter inside the game, not that it makes any difference though. .

An example. Pressing an OK box and just dragging or holding the mouse so it gets a white select line around the box. That will flicker with black and white on the will switching position.back and forth. Can't imagine I should be having aliasing issues on lines around menu boxes and on all white text, shimmering/flickering on labels and so on.

Maybe delete the shader/metacache folders and let it rebuild?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Made a couple of vids filming trough the hmd. First one is without any AA at PD 1.0 i dont really see any difference when adjusting PD tbh. I seem to recall being able to fly without any AA on. No way in hell i can with this as you will see. The second video is with 4x AA 2x SSSA or what its called and PD 1.5. its of course better but it shimmers a lot and its worse than you can tell from the video.

Cockpit knobs overhead view that perfectly illustrates it. 2x aa 2s sssa 1.4 PD

Edited by trigen

Not sure I would trust a card used for mining

wp0UDqp.gif

Hahahahaha,. Sorry trigen I do not mean the belittle your plight but that is funny. :D

The 1080Ti works for me and should for you as well. :thumbup:

Have you checked that you have enough lanes open for the PCIE slot the GPU is in, in bios and that it is seated and powered correctly?

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

No worries. Honestly though im not sure. I cant really test much on my intel 630 internal card but feels like i got the same issues inside steam room and WMR room too leading me to think its a windows issue or who knows a motherboard (same on every bios setting though) issue. Im not 100% sure when these issues came but its not that long ago. I would have noticed shimmering this bad for sure even though i have some severe mental memory issues that keeps me from being more spesific. One thing is for sure and that is that its annoying the crap out of me.

I got a Asus 270E gaming btw so it should not be an issue. Cpu is watercooled and everything is powered with a 850w Thermaltake psu so there should not be any issues there.

Gonna run a win reinstall and see what happens now though.

Try 2x MSAA, no SSAA, use the Pixel Density setting in the VR menu to increase your supersampling until you can no longer maintain 45fps then turn it back down to where you can.. there will still be a slight shimmer no matter what but pixel density is the VR specific supersampling method in DCS. I would also make sure SteamVR's SS settings were set to 100%, so the only supersampling is coming from the pixel density setting.

Also

settings.JPG.583ae9d440d8d5bdd135620c529c4a54.JPG

Normally I'd set negative LOD bias to Clamp, but setting high quality in the texture filtering turns off all the other texture filtering options..which anisitropic sample optimization says to turn off if you see shimmering, and turning off trilinear optimization may produce a better image quality as well. Sorry, you'll have to click the screen shot to see that it's settings for my DCS profile in nvidia control panel.

There will be SOME shimmering no matter what you do in DCS with VR but this for me offered the best image quality and performance.

Also, in the mixed reality portal settings - you can change the quality of how the cliff house will appear, and you can individually set the supersampling for apps that use steamvr, including the steam VR room if you navigate the steam VR settings.

Edited by Headwarp
Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Try 2x MSAA, no SSAA, use the Pixel Density setting in the VR menu to increase your supersampling until you can no longer maintain 45fps then turn it back down to where you can.. there will still be a slight shimmer no matter what but pixel density is the VR specific supersampling method.

Yes :thumbup:

Keep in mind PD may look and preform better even at a lower level maybe even 1.2 to 1.5 ish

Thanks for the help guys

Sadly i believe its a bit more involved than just fiddling with the AA and PD settings. I have this issue in ALL games, WMR portal, steam portal. You can see it on the characters in heroes of the storm, Dirt rally. AA does have some effect but its still there to a large degree especially in flight sims where its much more noticeable to begin with . All of which ive never noticed any such issue before.

Nvidia settings does nothing

I can see on the internet after some deep research that others have the same issue. Some have solved it by going over to Ryzen but i cant be sure on the success of that.

Could also be a power fault issue but again dont know but doubtful

https://communities.intel.com/thread/115750

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/638876-jagged-shadowspop-inlow-lod-and-jagged-aa/

Edited by trigen

Thanks for the help guys

Sadly i believe its a bit more involved than just fiddling with the AA and PD settings. I have this issue in ALL games, WMR portal, steam portal. You can see it on the characters in heroes of the storm, Dirt rally. AA does have some effect but its still there to a large degree especially in flight sims where its much more noticeable to begin with . All of witch ive never noticed any such issue before.

I can see on the internet after some deep research that others have the same issue. Some have solved it by going over to Ryzen but i cant be sure on the success of that.

Could also be a power fault issue but again dont know but doubtful

https://communities.intel.com/thread/115750

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/638876-jagged-shadowspop-inlow-lod-and-jagged-aa/

Have you tried using DDU in safe mode to uninstall everything nvidia and reinstall your nvidia drivers?

Sometimes this is a must do when switching video cards.

Anyways, good luck man hope it turns out not to be a faulty card. When you do get there my post above is how I found the best settings for my odyssey on my rig.

Spoiler

Win 11 Pro, z790 i9 13900k, RTX 4090 , 64GB DDR 6400GB, OS and DCS are on separate pci-e 4.0 drives 

Sim hardware - VKB MCG Ultimate with 200mm extension, Virpil T-50CM3 Dual throttles.   Blackhog B-explorer (A), TM Cougar MFD's (two), MFG Crosswinds with dampener.   Obutto R3volution gaming pit.  

Have you tried using DDU in safe mode to uninstall everything nvidia and reinstall your nvidia drivers?

Sometimes this is a must do when switching video cards.

Anyways, good luck man hope it turns out not to be a faulty card. When you do get there my post above is how I found the best settings for my odyssey on my rig.

Its a clean 3 week old install of windows 10 1803 so should not be needed

Edited by trigen