Help with AA engagements!?

Irishlad200000

Hi

Loving this module as it feels realistic! Only issue I have is with multiple enemy fighters! I keep getting my ass whooped! I know it’s probably realistic when a two flight f18 faces a flight of SU24’s and Mig29’s!

I’m an ex infantry soldier! The nearest I have in air experience is some regular fun in Cessna 172’s! Hardly a fighter plane.

Can any of you AA enthusiasts give me any tips on how to utilise the FA18 in A to A engagements with multiple enemy?

Looking tactics form BVR engagements etc!

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

That’s a good find, but that all applies to WVR not BVR.

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Wasn't finished yet :) i'm old and slow...

Edited by Svsmokey

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

Cheers svsmonkey! Will have a read.

Is the ECM system operative in the module yet I wonder?

I think the mistake is that I’m getting too close after the initial BVR engagement.

Having big issues in the new Ed campaign!

My three fav modules are now FA18, UH1 and A10C!

I'm running stable , and not up to date . ECM not operative in my build...

f-pole maneuver is a good bvr tactic as it is both defensive and offensive at the same time. I am sure it won't work well against a human as they will see you change angle and know not to fire till later.

For bvr this works against ai. Another good tactic if you have a lot of 120s is to lock and launch at max range so the enemy has to go defensive instead of focus on launching at you. Once we have ltws this will be even more of a useful tactic. especially if you are loaded down with 10 120s.

Lastly if there are two of you , then you can bracket the enemy by cranking out left and right forcing them to choose one of you to focus on leaving the other free to lock and launch.

Make sure you also let 2 off the leash and (engage bandits).

Try not to rush into it either after launching, let 2 get in position near you. The ships will also fire as they get close, go after the 29's first if I remember the mission correctly.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

It would help if the other pilots in my flight were more active. When I get killed and take control of another plane from my flight I usually find they still have all their AIM-120C missiles. Same when I survive and look at the payload of my buddies after the battle. And typically, although there is 4 of us, I have more than half of the kills. I do order them to engage bandits, again and again.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

Hi

Loving this module as it feels realistic! Only issue I have is with multiple enemy fighters! I keep getting my ass whooped! I know it’s probably realistic when a two flight f18 faces a flight of SU24’s and Mig29’s!

I’m an ex infantry soldier! The nearest I have in air experience is some regular fun in Cessna 172’s! Hardly a fighter plane.

Can any of you AA enthusiasts give me any tips on how to utilise the FA18 in A to A engagements with multiple enemy?

Looking tactics form BVR engagements etc!

Cheers!

Part of the issue is that the F-18 is incomplete. Track While Scan (TWS) is one of the most powerful tools of a modern active missile equipped fighter because it will let you monitor and engage multiple enemies at once. Right now the F-18 is limited to fighting one target at a time in BVR, which is about 30 years out of date.

In any case, you do have some advantages to leverage. If the MiG-29's you're fighting are A models, they can't carry active missiles and the missiles they can carry are much shorter ranged than your AIM-120C. You can try closing to the AIM-120's radar range (10-15 miles) before locking and only locking and shooting then, switching targets as soon as the missile launches. Then turn and run. The MiG's will probably beam to attempt avoiding your missiles, which will cause their missiles to lose lock on you. Your active AIM-120's will still have a chance to hit even if you don't have a lock.

Also try to get the most out of your wingman. Direct your flight to engage targets from afar, then split off from them and attack different targets. This will break up the enemy allowing you to deal with them one at a time.

It would help if the other pilots in my flight were more active. When I get killed and take control of another plane from my flight I usually find they still have all their AIM-120C missiles. Same when I survive and look at the payload of my buddies after the battle. And typically, although there is 4 of us, I have more than half of the kills. I do order them to engage bandits, again and again.

Do you tell them to turn on radar first? If you don't, they won't know where the enemy is most likely.

Awaiting: DCS F-15C

Win 10 i5-9600KF 4.6 GHz 64 GB RAM RTX2080Ti 11GB -- Win 7 64 i5-6600K 3.6 GHz 32 GB RAM GTX970 4GB -- A-10C, F-5E, Su-27, F-15C, F-14B, F-16C missions in User Files

great thread OP, (learning a bit here too). :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I can highly recommend Tacview. It let's you go back and re-watch your engagements in 3D / multiple angles. I've learnt a lot from getting my butt kicked, then "reviewing the tape" to learn what I should have or shouldn't have done.

This! Very good point.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Lack of situational and spatial awareness is my biggest challenge with regards to A2A engagements in the Hornet. Most of the time an unseen M2K or SU-27 sneaks in and shoots one up my tailpipe while I'm engaging another plane.

Rig: i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz | 16GB DDR4 2133 | 1070 8GB | 27" QHD GSYNC | 2x SSDs | W10

Setup: DCS 2.5 OB | M2000C | F/A-18C | F-86 | F-5E T.16000M HOTAS

Lack of situational and spatial awareness is my biggest challenge with regards to A2A engagements in the Hornet. Most of the time an unseen M2K or SU-27 sneaks in and shoots one up my tailpipe while I'm engaging another plane.

You need a wingman that knows what he's doing.

Buzz