Will navigation be painful?

ebabil

Since the hornet, harrier and warthog have moving map, they don't have a chance to get lost over the battle field. What is the situation with tomcat? is it painful to find your location with the equipments you have during the fight or normal flight?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Only as painful as say the M2000...

I believe the Tomcat’s INS can have waypoints etc and should be accurate enough to get you to a target and then back to the boat. You also have TACAN etc.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

“Give me a map, and a stopwatch and I’ll fly you through the alps in a plane with no windows!”

I think it will be fine. You may even find that you have better SA since you don’t have a moving map to rely on...

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

“Give me a map, and a stopwatch and I’ll fly you through the alps in a plane with no windows!”

Only if there’s no wind :thumbup: but nice Red October quote.:D

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Only if there’s no wind :thumbup: but nice Red October quote.:D

I was feeling inspired for my next mission.

Specs:

Fractal Design Define R5 Black, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E, Intel Core i5-8600K Coffee Lake @ 5.1 GHz, MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti 11GB 352-Bit GDDR5X, Corsair H110i, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB (2x16GB), Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB SSD

Only as painful as say the M2000...

I believe the Tomcat’s INS can have waypoints etc and should be accurate enough to get you to a target and then back to the boat. You also have TACAN etc.

how is it done with mirage?

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

how is it done with mirage?

The Mirage 2000 uses an inertial navigation system (constant position tracking in latitude/longitude), TACAN (radial beacon with distance measuring to station) and VOR/ILS (radial beacon with instrument landing system in some cases). The F-14 has the same minus the VOR, and it has an instrument landing system exclusive to carrier landings.

The INS is very easy to use so long as you know what you are doing - it doesn't give you the moving map, but it does constantly tell you where you are. Its best use is when following a proper route where you know what does each waypoint mean in the map/situation. You can use it as a poor man's moving map by checking the bearing/distance from currently selected waypoint, like a TACAN of sorts.

The HSI can NAV to a waypoint or fix in the INS. The two are not directly connected but they work together.

Specs:

F10, no ins needed, no problem. I just don't understand why they don't use it in real life :music_whistling:

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Air navigation can be as painful as you make it.

There are many more ways to navigate that don't involve a moving map on an electronic display in the cockpit. That in itself is an extremely new feature for aircraft in general, and there is a real danger of getting sucked into it as a crutch.

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/local/docs/pat-pubs/P-767.pdf

https://www.cnatra.navy.mil/local/docs/pat-pubs/P-1208.pdf

I recommend skimming at least that first document, which is the publication used for Primary flight training in the US Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard to teach visual navigation. It's a very straightforward procedure called clock-chart-ground. You have waypoints that start at your takeoff airfield, go in a straight lines (magnetic heading) for measured distances, with times it will take you to fly those legs based on your groundspeed. You start a clock on takeoff and reset it after reaching each subsequent checkpoint. As you hit intervals of 2 minutes, check the clock, check your chart for where your aircraft should be after each 2 minutes, and do your best to find an identifiable terrain feature (manmade or natural) corresponding to the chart.

tl;dr Navigation is far from rocket science given one has access to a map (F10), a method of keeping time, a known and constant groundspeed, terrain association, and good basic airwork (particularly with heading and speed control).

Edited by Chuck_Henry

I do find it funny how spoiled we’ve become in DCS with moving maps and advanced navigational systems that the A-10, AV-8B and F/A-18 have! Like most things in the -A/B I’m really looking forward to mastering the challenges of less advanced Nav gear and all the -70’s technology the F-14 has in it!

"I'm just a dude, playing a dude, disguised as another dude."

I do find it funny how spoiled we’ve become in DCS with moving maps and advanced navigational systems that the A-10, AV-8B and F/A-18 have! Like most things in the -A/B I’m really looking forward to mastering the challenges of less advanced Nav gear and all the -70’s technology the F-14 has in it!

I agree with you and i'm also looking forward to learning the "retro" style of navigation the F-14 uses. I've decided to shelf DCS for a couple of months while i wait for the F-14's release and Heatblur's videos, when they start posting them, to make sure the experience is nice and fresh.

Can not wait....:joystick:

I am interested in what level of functionality the CDNU will have?

Will you have to swap to the RIO pit to use it or will there be a pop-up capability of the controller when sitting up front?

I am thinking this will mean navigation in the Tomcat will consist of "Jester" just following a flight plan decided during pre-flight (Pilot selects CRUISE Mode and appropriate STEER CMD option) and not much else?

I guess the fact the pilot can't see or interact with the nav system during flight makes it quite a bit different (simplified by necessity?) from navigating with the Mirage for example.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Since the hornet, harrier and warthog have moving map, they don't have a chance to get lost over the battle field. What is the situation with tomcat? is it painful to find your location with the equipments you have during the fight or normal flight?

The Tomat has an inertial navigation system (INS) that works with coordinates just like a GPS system. The INS needs to be calibrated properly on startup though. It also lacks the precision of GPS though and tends to drift over time which needs to be corrected by doing so called Nav Fixes. I would recommend to read Heatblurs dev update on navigation, as it's all explained very well there: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=206097

You already have this kind of navigation system in DCS with the Mirage 2000 and the Viggen. All other aircraft in DCS have either GPS/GLONASS assisted navigation systems or have to rely on radio navigation (TACAN, VOR, RSBN, ...). And at the very least there is always the map and compass.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The 12 minute INS align onboard ships will be a pain to get used to after flying the more modern aircraft I think. I could see myself skipping it and just doing eyeball navigation if it werent needed for the datalink.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

Just tell your wingman to go fight and then follow him. LoL

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before you takeoff :pilotfly:!

PC=Win 10 HP 64 bit, Gigabyte Z390, Intel I5-9600k, 32 gig ram, Nvidia 2060 Super 8gig video. TM HOTAS WARTHOG with Saitek Pedals

As the pilot you don't really have to worry about navigation anyways as the RIO takes care of that.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I do find it funny how spoiled we’ve become in DCS with moving maps and advanced navigational systems that the A-10, AV-8B and F/A-18 have!

I never really used them actually as opposed to the ABRIS in the shark. I rather tend to do the nav visually plus TACAN/RSBN, waypoints/INS and sometimes F10 as well. The latter, of course, depending on settings, can spoil a lot though. Especially in the Hornet, when I'm just too lazy to get coords and punch them in, I find myself taking measures of TACAN stations with radial, range and heading to the next one, writing those down and flying just by that.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I've almost never used the moving map feature in modules like the Hornet, I've only ever used the F10 map, its just more convenient.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Anyone trying to be realistic will never use the F10 map.

At least not with unit icons activated. If all the icons are disabled (including the ownship icon), then it is just a normal map like you would have on paper (except that you can zoom in and out).

Tornado3 small.jpg