A little purchase help, please....

Darth Holliday

I have the direct open beta installed and can see the F18 Module on the bottom which I can purchase...In the Steam version, with the open beta checked and reloaded the F18 module is not visible to purchase on the opening screen on the bottom. I would prefer the Steam version, but again its not visible...Do I need to re-install...??

Not sure about the icons within DCS.

In any case, the Steam page should be what's relevant: DCS: F/A-18C Hornet on Steam

If you get the "Add to Basket" button, all should be fine. ;)

Gierasimov, I didn't purchase anything yet, as I wasn't sure how !!! I didn't want to make the mistake of purchasing direct thru DCS when I wanted it via Steam...

Yurgon, thanks....I do get the "add to Basket" I will add it tomorrow morning....

Is there any way to tell when running thru Steam that it is in fact the open beta...(2.5.3...??)

Thank-You gentleman.....

I'd recommend purchasing directly through the ED store...you will typically receive earlier access to updates and new modules. Once you go down one road or the other, you're stuck there.

If you still want the steam overlay in-game, you can add DCS as a non-Steam game via the "Games" menu item at the top of the screen and have access to Steam chat etc.

I'd recommend purchasing directly through the ED store...

Good point, I'd recommend that as well!

A lot of players will be able to help with Steam-related questions, but I think most of us (on this forum) purchase directly via ED and are more knowledgeable when it comes to the non-Steam version. Plus, Valve keeps a nice percentage for every purchase, so if you buy directly from ED, more money goes to the devs instead of an intermediary. :thumbup:

I only thought updating and D/Ling were faster and behind the scenes with Steam...

Yeah, I really can't complain about Steam in this regard. Downloads tend to be pretty fast, and they do happen "behind the scenes". Then again, the DCS Updater tends to be pretty fast as well, and while it isn't working quite behind the scenes as Steam does, it certainly does a good job IMO.

Yeah, I really can't complain about Steam in this regard. Downloads tend to be pretty fast, and they do happen "behind the scenes". Then again, the DCS Updater tends to be pretty fast as well, and while it isn't working quite behind the scenes as Steam does, it certainly does a good job IMO.

Probably the benefit depends on your network speed. I've been a week on the ED standalone version and so far it hasn't felt like I need to actually wait for anything.

It's a bit of a bummer with the different DRM systems (think we have at least 3-4 different policies applied!) so do some research before you go shopping crazy. Sometimes you will have an option of migrating between the two platforms but for some modules it's no longer there - and it seems in the ED store all modules are now Steam-incompatible. Corporate business decisions :helpsmilie: but I can understand both sides of the digital curtain.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

Perfect!

Gierasimov, I didn't purchase anything yet, as I wasn't sure how !!! I didn't want to make the mistake of purchasing direct thru DCS when I wanted it via Steam...

(...)

I would not recommend going with Steam. I know it does a lot in terms of a game platform, but DCS direct is the way forward I think. Must remember that Steam is the third party after all and as such it is an additional variable factor to otherwise already complex project that DCS is.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta