No speed brake when carrying center tank.

DmitriKozlowsky

Our version can't deploy the brake while the center tank is on or while the gear is down.

I read somewhere in here that modern variants can use the brake but only the 'top half'.

Because it is only on top :)

Acer Aspire E5-571G-713W/Intel® Core™ i7-4510U 2.0-3.1GHz/12 GB DDR3 L Memo/NVIDIA® GeForce® 820M 2 GB/1000 GB HDD

Our version can't deploy the brake while the center tank is on or while the gear is down.

I read somewhere in here that modern variants can use the brake but only the 'top half'.

Modern variants have an airbrake like on the Su-27 - i.e. a panel located on the spine, so no problem using it during landing :)

Attached example is MiG-29K(9.31).

MiG-29K_airbrake.jpg.9fb7bd4c4a881c18e4c9c7013433f6cc.jpg

JJ

Ah, so they redesigned it....I was thinking they just welded the bottom half shut :)

Heh yeah - well they redesigned the whole aircraft :) . The airbrake is also much larger(with an area of 1 m²), so also has greater effect.

You can see it better on this image:

MiG-29K_312.thumb.jpg.3fcd39ac5daa8222a50da7473b9558c4.jpg

JJ

This problem was driving me crazy, I had no idea why all of a sudden I couldn't deploy the speed brake to slow down in preperation for landings.

Wasn't until someone on a discord server asked if I had the centre tank on, got rid of it and hey presto air brake works once again.

Really frustrating issue to have but good to know now.

Heh yeah - well they redesigned the whole aircraft :) . The airbrake is also much larger(with an area of 1 m²), so also has greater effect.

You can see it better on this image:

Crikey, that’s the biggest airbrake I’ve ever seen! Reminds me of the F35B lift fan hatch, but the other way round.

Funny thing how many people tried to land it with CL tank in the first place desperately fighting to reduce the damn speed :) Me included. Now, when PFM first days are gone, I don't feel the need for braking during landing at all and the fact that I don't make straight in approaches any more probably have something to do with it ;)

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Funny thing how many people tried to land it with CL tank in the first place desperately fighting to reduce the damn speed :) Me included. Now, when PFM first days are gone, I don't feel the need for braking during landing at all and the fact that I don't make straight in approaches any more probably have something to do with it ;)

:) I still like straight in approaches. My habit is to simply throttle back well before I pick up the glide slope. Done correctly, you never touch the airbrake, your flaps and gear are down and you leave the IAP at around 390k/h. Then gradually reduce speed down the slope to arrive at the proper landing speed as you cross the threshold.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Crikey, that’s the biggest airbrake I’ve ever seen! Reminds me of the F35B lift fan hatch, but the other way round.

Ah its not that big Mumby :) - I would say that it resembles that of the Hornet both in position and size(well maybe a little bigger). The airbrakes of the Su-27 and F-15 seem larger(I don't know the area of those though).

I think the images I posted are distorting relative size somewhat - in the first it looks smaller than it actually is, while in the latter it does look huge. Here is a third one from the side, which gives a better impression:

MiG-29K_airbrake_2.thumb.jpg.e8655982734888312c7ae6211e7918b3.jpg

Edited by Alfa

JJ

Looked around a bit and it seems that, at least in regards to the F-15, you were bang on the money :)

According to the info I found, the airbrake area of the F-15 is: 31.5 ft² ~ 2.93 m².

Well I tried to find exact data for 10 mins and then decided to do the math instead, so no surprise here :)

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

Odd thing is that watching -29S wingmen land with center tank, and with speed brake. But Player ship no go on brake with center tank.

Indeed, you were right. AI is cheating!

373746738_Mig-29S_AI-CLtankampairbrake.thumb.png.8027d19106cb93aa8f02836094978969.png

Edited by draconus

Mig-29K, the variant that is serving RuNNA today is a very advanced variant of Mig-29. Full FBW, and ability to carry AA, AG, and Anti-Surface/Ship. It can't really be compared to Mig-29A and S, which is analog flight control augmentation and stability systems.

Ironic that RuN Naval Aviation Mig-29K have no carrier to fly off, or crash next to, for next three, possibly more years. They will have to train with Indian Navy's Mig-29IK on their carrier. Former Kiev class VSTOL carrier, modified to carry fixed wing.