Dynamic persistent war by ED

Varis

Didn't find anything on this with a quick google & forum search so here we go with a new thread. Would appreciate if you can point me to previous discussion (I'm sure there's some).

In the recent Wags interview he states that ED is planning (I guess that's a few years before we see it) to add a dynamic multiplayer* campaign. With capturing bases it sounds like a spec similar to what's running in current community based persistent warfare modes (don't know these personally yet).

My preferred gaming tradition being the PvP multiplayer combination of action and strategy, this could be the bee's knees for DCS if implemented properly. This would imply making it user extendable and with better Combined Arms elements.

Why these requirements? For starters, persistent warfare is already a thing in community MP in DCS and people coming from other titles can bring their knowledge and vision about this style of gameplay to best flesh it out. The final value proposition to the DCS gaming community will come from user created modifications on the game mode. What I read between the lines is that ED is seeking primarily to develop an engine that can algorithmically create missions (obviously there's already some rudimentary capacity in this direction) and they could well create extensive APIs for users to customize this at various levels.

The combined arms aspect is more tricky because it's outside of ED's current core areas and a segment (module) where they somewhat underdeliver at the time being. Some people say that better CA is necessary to extend the user base towards larger populations (in the PC gaming mainstream) but from my point of view the CA aspect is necessary to provide a rich and believable context to the air arm. You could maybe label it authenticy over realism.

What do you think? Where can DCS go with this kind of a game mode?

*) Wags didn't state 100% explicitly it's for multiplayer but it was very apparent from the context

Edited by Varis

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

This has been discussed ad nauseam here and every other DCS forum for years. Search “Dynamic Campaign”.

Everyone has the same generally the same thought: yes it will be awesome. The realists know how difficult it will be to do though (based on feedback from the developer on the “other sim” that made comments saying as much in dramatic fashion), and wonder how good it can be done in DCS. Moreover, most people realize the core of the game needs quite a bit of cleanup before a DC is viable whatsoever.

A DC is my #1 want and has been for a long time, but I think it’s a long way off because of the amount of holes ED needs to fill first with basic functionality in what already exists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VR Cockpit (link):

Custom Throttletek F/A-18C Throttle w/ Hall Sensors + Otto switches | Slaw Device RX Viper Pedals w/ Damper | VPC T-50 Base + 15cm Black Sahaj Extension + TM Hornet or Warthog Grip | Super Warthog Wheel Stand Pro | Steelcase Leap V2 + JetSeat SE

VR Rig:

Pimax 5K+ | ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti | Intel i7-9700K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | Corsair H115i RGB Platinum | 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 3200 | Dell U3415W Curved 3440x1440

As Buckeye said: An integrated dynamic canmpaign of some sorts is beeing a hot topic almost as long as DCS exists. See this thread in particular: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=64161

In May 2018 ED finally woke up and started working on such a feature. The first step was to find someone with experience with working on RTS type games: https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3485763&postcount=1120

I think they have found such a guy, because in some recent interview Wags said that work on that feature is in full swing now. We shouldn't expect any results within the next 1-2 years though.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg