2019 upcoming Hornet's features

VladMordock

Dear Sirs,

Having read the latest mini update : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3671393&postcount=82 and looking at the development pace since EA release, the question which comes to my head is what's the time plan for 100% feature implemented goal ?

Is there a plan to have hornet with all the features listed https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/hornet/ completed in 2019 or we shall look more likely into 2020?

Great thank you in advance for information!

Zapraszam na Gildia.org - polska społeczność DCS. :thumbup:

It's hard to give any time frames for overall completion due to a multitude of factors affecting the development.

If you have a closer look at the recent news you will get the picture of how unpredictable this project can be. Last minute technical issues, core developers leaving the work, unexpected project pauses, resources are just a few to name.

Computer simulation games are the most complicated ones to produce and also not that great in terms of ROI values.

So yes, the Hornet will roll on for as long as it has to, the most important thing is the commitment and momentum to deliver this commitment.

On the other hand... just look how long it takes to build a real jet... and then its upgrades, bug fixing and software updates (just look at F-35 for example)... DCS development simulates also real jest development :)

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

If you have a closer look at the recent news you will get the picture of how unpredictable this project can be. Last minute technical issues, core developers leaving the work, unexpected project pauses, resources are just a few to name.

Sure, troubles as every other project in the world, I fully understand and are thankful for all that was delivered so far despite those critical roadblocks. :)

@Gierasimov I can see you are DCS World user way longer than myself - using your past experience, what would be your expectation to have hornet at A10C level of quality: 2019, 2020, ...?

The F/A-18C has one of the more complicated modules never make by ED, with some new technologies and engine improvements on DCS, that make delays and setbacks on the develop process.

Agreed. I just wonder how complex or complicated is integrating the current internal mechanisms of Hornet with work that has already been done. Take Mavericks for instance - they already work for A-10C and even Harrier. The latter is even more important as it, at least in theory, should share some of the systems logic with F/A-18. Wags said in his last statement works are underway on L maverics... why not IR? Without targeting pods it will still have limited use for Hornets :(

Avantar

My rig: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI; HyperX Fury RGB 64GB (4x16GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16; Intel Core i9-10900KA; Zotac RTX 3090; HOTAS Warthog; HOTAS Cougar; MFD Cougar; Track IR 5; Saitek Pro Flight rudder Pedals

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The F/A-18C has one of the more complicated modules never make by ED, with some new technologies and engine improvements on DCS, that make delays and setbacks on the develop process.

Sir, fully agreed and understood!

@Silver_Dragon: If you would make a guess (wow, that's impressive forum history!) to answer some newbies, shall we hope for 2019 100% implementation ?

Sir, fully agreed and understood!

@Silver_Dragon: If you would make a guess (wow, that's impressive forum history!) to answer some newbies, shall we hope for 2019 100% implementation ?

Totally unknown... remember ED need insert and show the ground terrain radar working and the new Thermal / infrared technology.

I suppose on 2019 we will have the Hornet near of "big" features complete. About "others", as the carrier functionality, I think need make progress on ships and sea environment technology before see someone "plausible". Of course, all modules has on continue develop by DCS engine on continuous upgrade and update develop.

Totally unknown... remember ED need insert and show the ground terrain radar working and the new Thermal / infrared technology.

You are absolutely right, I focused on having AA 100% completed and forgot about the AG capabilities with those nice, dev demanding toys.

That would mean that all this leads more like to 2020/2021...!? :cry:

You are absolutely right, I focused on having AA 100% completed and forgot about the AG capabilities with those nice, dev demanding toys.

About Toys, ED has put a good part of updates / new 3D models of weapons or equipment centred on the F/A-18 on the las updates, the implementation of them and the functional modes has only a matter of time.

the implementation of them and the functional modes has only a matter of time.

Sure, I cannot wait to give those a try - but It seems we will have to wait 1 or 2 more years to be really multi-role combat ready (!?). :cry:

Anyhow, thank you Silver_Dragon for making some of the things more clear! :thumbup:

If we judge by the development pace of first 5 months since Hornet's release, late 2020 or 2021 is more likely than 2019.

Given that AGM-65E has taken this much time, the truly complex weapons and sensors like A2G Radar and SLAM-ER will probably take vastly more time to develop.

It may sound discouraging, but think of it like this; The F/A-18C Lot 20 is an incredibly complex machine and it has more sensors & different weapons than the rest of DCS modules combined.

And some of these weapons, countermeasures and sensors have never been seen in DCS before, so it's to be expected that Hornet will take longer to complete.

Edited by Silvern

I as well as many of you are unfortunately beginning to realize the reality of the situation. I blame myself for not fully understanding what early access means but I also believe there wasn't full disclosure as to the lack of resources that ED has to support the Hornet. I think we can all say that we thought Hornet development would be a little further along at early access release in regards to weapons and systems than what we are seeing now. ED could have been a little more transparent on the state of development at release to help limit and better control hype and expectations. Those who choose to participate in early access are involved in the development process as well since we are testing, reporting bugs, and making recommendations. This requires the highest level of ongoing, detailed communication by both the developer and us virtual Hornet aviators. As we continue to participate in the Hornet early access, ED is getting much better at communicating and being more transparent and I hope this improves even further. There is no escaping the fact that developing the Hornet and DCS in general is a slow and painful process, however; open, detailed, and honest communication goes a long way to making this a better journey for all.

Edited by =BJM=

i5 7600K @4.8GHz | 1080 Ti | 32GB 3200MHz | SSD | DCS SETTINGS | "COCKPIT"

If we judge by the development pace of first 5 months of Hornet's release, late 2020 or 2021 is more likely than 2019.

Yep, reading what was written above by some folks being longer with DCS than myself, I see that this might be the case. We will need to wait untill 2020/2021(?)... :cry:

I just hope the momentum will be kept to and there will be no distraction to hornet's development.

This post from Mr. Wags https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3671384&postcount=378 is a bit spooky for me, if there was at least 4 fte-years spend for hornet's development preparation and he already gives dates earlier than 2021/2022 for "viper news" that would mean that there all folks collecting data for Viper assigned already!? I personally would prefer to have those heads put into hornet, but I'm the 100% hornet guy myself - sorry Viper drivers... :smilewink: :)

I guess the "supposed" Viper data collectors can't contribute to the development of the F/A-18C at the moment.

This! And this probably applies to some other guys as well, like 3D modellers or texture artists. The Hornet currently needs system coders which the Viper probably doesn't need yet. So it's efficient distribution of available resources.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

It would not surprise me if 3D Modellers etc have moved on to other projects. Their work is long finished with the Hornet so should be used to get a head start on other projects. It can take a long time to model the required art assets to the standards required by ED and the DCS community.

Lol sniped.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

This is what we get for buying early access and i'm as guilty as you guys. Maybe if nobody bought early access they'd stop offering it and put more effort into finishing a product.

This is the first early access plane i've bought and I knew i'd regret it. I'd gladly accept a refund and move on.

Buzz

This is what we get for buying early access and i'm as guilty as you guys. Maybe if nobody bought early access they'd stop offering it and put more effort into finishing a product.

This is the first early access plane i've bought and I knew i'd regret it. I'd gladly accept a refund and move on.

Speak for yourself. I'm very happy with Early Acces and I'm glad I bought the Hornet in EA to get my hands on it early.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Early Access is not for all.

I bought it when it was announced available, learning the Bug and also testing things out. (I am not ED Tester). I can't say I am disappointed as I am not, to the contrary, I am a satisfied customer, I think mostly because of DCS F/A-18C Hornet is already the best module ever introduced to DCS from many angles. However, most importantly, because I bought it, knowing exactly what EA is, what to expect with it and knowing it will take years till it is completed.

Early Access is as important as any other way of testing the product and also it IS putting more effort into finishing a product. For those who care and want to financially support the development, not all of us for sure.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Gosh I've had enough of all these whining girls complaining about the pace of developement already. Seriously, next time, dont buy an EA module. Buy it when its done. Thank you very much.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I do not regret, Hornet is an amazing plane, but i hope so much ED move on not that slow....I ve got a bad feeling, that we will have a final product maybe in 2021-2022...

100% with you - I think what is missing is a clear information at the DCS shop, about planned release date of the early access module; I believe a lot of people would reconsider the purchase knowing that we are looking at the 2020/2021 final product release.