2019 upcoming Hornet's features

VladMordock

Gosh I've had enough of all these whining girls complaining about the pace of developement already. Seriously, next time, dont buy an EA module. Buy it when its done. Thank you very much.

Exactly this! Early Access is not for everyone. It's for people that want to test an unfinished product!

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

2020/2021 is our wild guess which is all we can do. Who knows, they may finish in 2019 or they can go for another 10 years, its all our guess and it is about resources but also about unforeseen events or factors.

One week they were confident to hit this week's update, then they realized it would be a failed update and pushed for a week later.

Does it make any difference if they say "Release date February 14th 2019?" and then have to apologise for unforeseen events like, let's say losing air to ground radar developer/engineer, does it?

Fear not, Wags said in the podcast that they have the knowledge and data to support this development. So it is not about knowing how to achieve believable simulation, but rather having the capacity and resources to deliver at a pace they want to deliver.

As for Early Access... read forums before you buy. Do research. Better than complaining afterwards you were not informed, simply because the information is out there in plain sight.

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Exactly this! Early Access is not for everyone. It's for people that want to test an unfinished product!

Yes, that is pretty clear, but the question is: when will be finished?

For me, it is hard to accept that EA period will be 4-5 years.

To be clear. You've never seen me complain about the plane. I'm pretty patient. I don't install the OB version because I can wait.

What bothers me is all the whining about the plane. Some members have no business buying early access. They can't handle it.

I feel Ed goes about this wrong. They should ask for volunteers to beta test. They should be the only ones who get the OB version. All communication with the beta testers should be kept off the public forums. This is how it's done in the race sims I test for.

Buzz

I feel Ed goes about this wrong. They should ask for volunteers to beta test. They should be the only ones who get the OB version. All communication with the beta testers should be kept off the public forums. This is how it's done in the race sims I test for.

ED does that as well. Maybe you have noticed the label "ED Test Team" below the forum name of some members here. They do exactly what you described there. Their testing starts way before Early Access gets available for the public. Early Acces is just another level of testing (the final level).

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Yes, same for me. I might be a "whining girl" for some, but while jumping on a hype train created earlier this year I was hoping to get the final product (even in beta stage) within a year at maximum. Is anybody here who still believes to have this module multirole combat ready by the end of 2019 ? :cry:

But I have to agree with Gierasimov - lesson learn for flight sims and all other early access, ask about release date before throwing bucks into to monitor. :smilewink:

Does it make any difference if they say "Release date February 14th 2019?" and then have to apologise for unforeseen events like, let's say losing air to ground radar developer/engineer, does it?

With this I cannot really agree - from law/formal point of view, that changes everything. If the deadline would no be met you would have at least a chance to start legal procedures to get your money back, currently (in theory, I now it's not the case) the development can take the next 10 years and we (customer) could not do anything with that. :smartass:

Zapraszam na Gildia.org - polska społeczność DCS. :thumbup:

How can anybody answer that question? It will take as long as it takes. The number of challenges up ahead aren't necessarily fully known to even ED yet. I'm sure they didn't plan to rebuild the A/A radar logic completely shortly after going EA but sometimes the best way to tackle a problem is scrap it and start again. And things like that do happen during the development of such a complex product.

I for one am glad I bought EA and I'm exceedingly happy with the the Hornet in its current state. I'll enjoy learning all the new systems/weapons as and when they come out and I'll report any bugs I see.

I'd say considering all the new technologies that the Hornet is bringing (AG radar, new thermal imaging simulation, man in the loop weapons etc) that 2-3 years of EA sounds reasonable to me.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Also, EA is for people who want their hands on early on in the project and those willing to financially support the product at its early stages. Just look at how many people already said they pre-ordered F-14.

The community wanted Early Access and Eagle Dynamics allowed that. It is for those who wanted.

Edited by Gierasimov

Intel i7-13700KF :: ROG STRIX Z790-A GAMING WIFI D4 :: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB ::  MSI RTX 4080  Gaming X Trio  :: VKB Gunfighter MK.III MCG Ultimate :: VPC MongoosT-50 CM3 :: non-VR :: single player :: open beta

Also, EA is for people who want their hand's on early on and those willing to financially support the product at its early stages. Just look at how many people already said they pre-ordered F-14.

The community wanted Early Access and Eagle Dynamics allowed that. It is for those who wanted.

Heatblur also stated that systems will be much more complete and functional than the F-18.

I have to agree, that if I knew the development pace that ED was going to take, I would not have puchased the EA F-18. Sure, it's fun to land on the carrier, but 5 months of that is getting old. I truely expected to wait maybe a couple months for some A/G, but definitely expected a lot more before the end of the year.

I'm tired of these holier-than-thou posts about "you shouldn't buy EA if you can't handle delays". That's not the point of the thread. The point of the thread is that we were not informed about the development rate of new features, and at this point, it's not looking good. EA requires better disclosure from developers. Like it or not, they should take a cue from Star Citizen and start disclosing what's really going on if they're going to take people's money before the product is finalized.

Interesting

Heatblur also stated that systems will be much more complete and functional than the F-18.

(...).

Yet, they are not saying WHEN early access does start and how long it will take until it is released.

Coming back to the original subject and comment regarding legal actions eligibility should the announced release date was not kept, well that would be possible if there was an agreement acknowledged by the seller and buyer. I don't recall anything like that when paying for EA Hornet, thus I had no means of establishing expected release date, and yet I decided to play that ball. Putting release date out on the product page does not create a legally binding contract between affected parties unless it is accompanied with a contract/agreement where the seller offers that release date.

Edited by Gierasimov
wording

ED does that as well. Maybe you have noticed the label "ED Test Team" below the forum name of some members here. They do exactly what you described there. Their testing starts way before Early Access gets available for the public. Early Acces is just another level of testing (the final level).

Yes, I know they do. I was talking about expanding the testers and eliminating the OB to the public. That would cure the problem of the wrong types doing the testing. It would also clean up the forums. Another advantage is they could just use the public stable version in multiplayer.

I feel it would make the whole process more civil and peaceful.

Buzz

Sure, it's fun to land on the carrier, but 5 months of that is getting old. I truly expected to wait maybe a couple months for some A/G, but definitely expected a lot more before the end of the year.

You make it sound like ED have been sitting around doing nothing for 5 months? I thought it was pretty clear from all the release info that they would be concentrating on getting the A/A aspect of the aircraft more polished before moving on to the more complex A/G weapons, that's exactly what they've been doing.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

You make it sound like ED have been sitting around doing nothing for 5 months?

I think nobody wrote that - the thing which is "the problem" is the pace, if you take a look what was added in the last 5 months, see the list of WIP/TBD you will see that we have 2-3 more years ahead (I agree with folks claiming it earlier in the thread). :cry:

This is so untrue...

Yes, I know they do. I was talking about expanding the testers and eliminating the OB to the public. That would cure the problem of the wrong types doing the testing. It would also clean up the forums. Another advantage is they could just use the public stable version in multiplayer.

I feel it would make the whole process more civil and peaceful.

I don't consider myself "the wrong type doing the testing." I thank you very much.

I also don't see "a problem" that needs "cure", or forums that need "cleaning"

Overall I think your comments are blunt statements that don't necessarily belong to this thread nor they reflect true reason for forum existence or the very purpose for Open Beta and Early Access. I think a thorough understanding of both, OB and EA concepts and perks is required before one can start criticising it. However, I also accept that you may want to have your own opinion or point of view, which I fully tolerate.

No offence intended.

I feel this thread will be soon closed :)

Btw I am also happy with the fact that the F18 is somehow really access, it gives us the opportunity yo learn step by step the plane and its systems :)

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

There is no set date known to public that I am aware of.

Dear Sirs,

Having read the latest mini update : https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3671393&postcount=82 and looking at the development pace since EA release, the question which comes to my head is what's the time plan for 100% feature implemented goal ?

Is there a plan to have hornet with all the features listed https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/shop/modules/hornet/ completed in 2019 or we shall look more likely into 2020?

Great thank you in advance for information!

From the newsletter:

The time a product remains in Early Access can vary widely based on the scope of the project, technical hurdles, and how complete the module is when it enters Early Access. Eagle Dynamics and all of our third parties strive to make this period as short as possible.

Like it or not, they should take a cue from Star Citizen and start disclosing what's really going on if they're going to take people's money before the product is finalized.

No, I would rather have them spending the time actually working on the product than spending it giving explanations on the forum. The current information policy is quiet well imho.

Tornado3 small.jpg

The time a product remains in Early Access can vary widely based on the scope of the project, technical hurdles, and how complete the module is when it enters Early Access. Eagle Dynamics and all of our third parties strive to make this period as short as possible.

Sure, this statement gives no commitment - I knew the situation at the time of purchase, I really have no trouble with it. :)

As I mentioned a few times I'm really disappointed, because I was hoping hornet to get out from early access stage much earlier than - as it looks - it will, but there is nobody else to blame than myself to get hyped by all those nice YT videos. :)

The estimated (I also don't think ED will give the date) 2020+ is now something which we have to live with . :)

Expect the unexpected. Took just a few months for A-10C from early access to release ;) not to mention modern-day bugs and issues :)

• ED Team

The team is working very hard, dont take patch notes with missing Hornet items as a sign of non-action, they are pushing very hard to get the Hornet feature complete, and yes there is still a lot to do, but they want to get it wrapped as soon as they can, after all, that Viper wont make itself ;)

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I would be very surprised if the ED roadmap for the hornet was longer than 2019. This of course does not include unforeseen issues or delays (take for example the leave of key personnel developing core technology) that could take the feature complete implementation to early 2020.

For sure not 2021/2022 as some people is saying here.

Remember which are the main features to be completed:

-AA radar modes: This is by no means a very complex issue as is resolved for other planes, the big elephant in the room here was implementing the new radar technology simulating the actual radar cone sweep, which according to Wags latest miniupdate is almost there. From that point on everything will start moving at a stronger pace.

-FLIR: Here the difficult part is not coding the FLIR functionality; which is very similar to the A10, what we have here is a background FLIR simulation that will improve DCS in general, not just the hornet. I'm sure once this is complete, the FLIR coding part (setting, DDI integrationn, etc) won't take more than 3 months...

-JHMCS: almost there

-HARM: before summer 2019

-JDAMS and other precision weapons: Technology already there, done previously on the A10, so 2019 for sure!

-A/G: This is the last big milestone to finish, and again something that will affect future projects. Once resolved the actual coding of AG radar functions should not be long, so Im confident that this could make it into 2019.

Just my view on the subject.

Regards,

I would be very surprised if the ED roadmap for the hornet was longer than 2019. This of course does not include unforeseen issues or delay (take for example the leave of key personnel developing core technology) that could take the feature complete implementation to early 2020.

For sure not 2021/2022 as some people is saying here.

Remember which are the main features to be completed:

-AA radar modes: This is by no means a very complex issue as is resolved for other planes, the big elephant in the room here was implementing the new radar technology simulating the actual radar cone sweep, which according to Wags latest miniupdate is almost there. From that point on everything will start moving at a stronger pace.

-FLIR: Here the difficult part is not coding the FLIR functionality; which is very similar to the A10, what we have here is a background FLIR simulation that will improve DCS in general, not just the hornet. I'm sure once this is complete, the FLIR won't take more than 3 months...

-JHMCS: almost there

-HARM: before summer 2019

-JDAMS and other precision weapons: Technology already there, done previously on the A10, so 2019 for sure!

-A/G: This is the last big milestone to finish, and again something that will affect future projects. Once resolve the actual coding of AG radar functions should not be long, so Im confident that this could make it into 2019.

Just my view on the subject.

Regards,

Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and say that you're being extremely optimistic. Your timeline isn't unrealistic by any means, but it pretty much assumes that absolutely nothing goes wrong short of the usual beta release > bug fix > stable release cycle. We all know from the past that won't happen. Bug fixes break unrelated things for weird reasons, core developers drop their pack and leave, etc.